Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 kW split

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Default 8 kW split

G'day,

I need to replace a 10 year old split system and have a choice between a Mitubishi MSZ-GE80VA and an LG R28AWN-11 for the same price. I am a big Mitsubishi fan but wonder if anyone has any feedback on the LG system. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

L.G. -- Lucky it Goes

I wouldn't buy an LG, even if it was the last thing left in the shop in the middle of a summer heatwave.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

Gregathome (16-01-12),mtv (14-01-12),Tiny (08-02-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fernbay View Post
    L.G. -- Lucky it Goes

I wouldn't by an LG, even if it was the last thing left in the shop in the middle of a summer heatwave.
    Thanks Fernbay,

I am well aware of the quality issues with older LG aircons, but I actually know the head of aircon at LG and he assures me the quality has improved. I have my own bias with regard to many CE products having been an authorised centre for many brands. When all you see is faulty product from the same manufacturer you subconsciously think that everthing they produce is crap. Is your opinion based on stats or heresay for the current product.

Regards
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

It's based on having work in authorised LG service centers .
    You should see the over engineering of the computer control boards that live in the outdoor units. 10 times more complex than required and prone to failure.

(Some of their vacuum cleaners also have similar overly complex computer control boards that makes repair unviable due to the cost of parts, and at the end of the day, it's only a god damm vacumm cleaner!!)

My advice as a licensed air cond guy (and also a TV tech) is don't do it.
    Sounds like you have already made up your mind though. In that case, do yourself a favor and get hold of you mate and get him to snaffle you a spare outdoor unit control board to put aside, so that when it fails at least you won't have to deal with the inevitable NLA problem.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Premium Member
    Thanks

It's based on having work in authorised LG service centers .

(Some of their vacuum cleaners also have similar overly complex computer control boards that makes repair unviable due to the cost of parts, and at the end of the day, it's only a god damm vacumm cleaner!!)

Sounds like you have already made up your mind though.
    I was an LG ASC and did experience the fun of their dodgy vacuum cleaners, and I am well aware of the NLA issue. I have made up my mind and will get the Mitsubishi. Ten and a half years with no problems on the old unit. BTW I agree with the point about over engineering of control PCBs; I was helping a mate with an old Carrier split the other day and all it had was a start cap and reversing valve solenoid (very simple).

Cheers

Thanks

Compare their backup service and warranty callouts. Mitsu A/C have flooded the market and everyone tends to want them.

Go with the Mitsu over the LG. The Mitsu units sit on the lower tiar down from Daikin units and the LG would be allot further down.

Surely you would be able to get the LG much cheaper than the Mitsu through your mate at LG?

Thanks

L.G. -- Lucky it Goes

I wouldn't by an LG, even if it was the last thing left in the shop in the middle of a summer heatwave.
    Even over a Teco? or what was that Dimmey's brand

What gets me is people buy crap and then pay a quality installer to install it for them.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinger View Post
    Surely you would be able to get the LG much cheaper than the Mitsu through your mate at LG?
    Unfortunately no, I have contacts at both companies and can get the Mitsubishi for $1790 delivered and the LG for $1760. For $30 dollars difference the Mitsubishi wins.

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    Unfortunately no, I have contacts at both companies and can get the Mitsubishi for $1790 delivered and the LG for $1760. For $30 dollars difference the Mitsubishi wins.

Cheers
    How much for the install? Or are you doing it yourself?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I'm surprised you even needed to ask with that price difference and your experience with LG products in general.

Regardless of cost between thw two, I'd also go with the Mitsubishi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    How much for the install? Or are you doing it yourself?
    Each install would need to be quoted and you cannot compare one install to another unless they are almost same, eg back to back install.

A better question to ask TVguy, what type of install have you been quoted? Will the outdoor unit sit on the opposite side of the wall to the indoor unit?

• The Following User Says Thank You to johnwinger For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (14-01-12)

Thanks

Cheers
    I would of expected a bigger price difference, they are underselling the Mitsu.

Thanks

Cheers
    That's an awesome price on the Mitsubishi! , Actually spoke to a commercial aircon guy recently about domestic systems , he said he will only install Mitsubishi for friends and family , if they want anything else he wont touch it.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinger View Post
    Each install would need to be quoted and you cannot compare one install to another unless they are almost same, eg back to back install.

A better question to ask TVguy, what type of install have you been quoted? Will the outdoor unit sit on the opposite side of the wall to the indoor unit?
    I am replacing an existing installation, but have to install new piping as the old unit used R22. I got a price of $201 for R410 pair coil 20 metre length (18 metre run) which I will haul through myself. I have a contra deal going with my fridgy friend whereby I install a new antenna for him and he does the flaring and fitting of my new aircon. Life's Good

• The Following User Says Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (14-01-12)

Thanks

I thought Teco and Mitsubishi were one and the same? an old teco unit had Mitsubishi guts in it.
    our building at work has 10x Mitsubishi splits , all work well even on those super hot days.

re- the LG vacuum cleaner , the PCB failed in mine so i bypassed it and just use the foot power switch to turn it on/off , at full speed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tradesman View Post
    I thought Teco and Mitsubishi were one and the same? an old teco unit had Mitsubishi guts in it.
    our building at work has 10x Mitsubishi splits , all work well even on those super hot days.

re- the LG vacuum cleaner , the PCB failed in mine so i bypassed it and just use the foot power switch to turn it on/off , at full speed.
    Mitsu A/C and Teco A/c units are not on the same page but everyone will see each brand differently. Everyone wants a Mitsu uni and majority of people have them, they have flooded the market. Ask someone why they want a Mitsu and they usually just answer because they are good, ask them why? Installing units that everyone can get and has is not good for an A/C installer.

Allot of the time when an A/C unit fails or does not work efficiently its usally down to the installtion or the unit was undersized to begin with. Like anything it may fail and need to be replaced. I have seen some of the worst installations and people have paid for these, as in any industry there is the good and the bad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    ... Actually spoke to a commercial aircon guy recently about domestic systems , he said he will only install Mitsubishi for friends and family , if they want anything else he wont touch it.
    As a matter of interest what is the forum member's opinion of Fujitsu and Daikin?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have a Daikin in my home and also had one in my last home.They have never missed a beat.

A mate had a Fujitsu in his last house that made annoying clicking noises.

In regards to my current Daikin, I had a choice of the daikin and mitsubishi. The daikin was was about $2-300 more, I was happy to pay it based on previous performnce and reliability. A mate went with mitusbishi and is happy with it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (17-01-12)

Thanks

As a matter of interest what is the forum member's opinion of Fujitsu and Daikin?
    Daikin are seen as the best you can get, good advertising and a strong name. Fujitsu sit below the Daikin and would be on equal par with Mitsu units. Seen by someone in the industry Daikin had a shortage of units during the Japanese floods and only supplied units to a 'select' few large customers. The small to medium installer could not purchase any Daikin units for a couple of months. Daikin will only supply to selected dealers where as Mitsu and majority of brands will sell to anyone. Fijitsu spare parts are very hard to deal with, this making an urgent repair longer to fix.

When I purchased my house I had a cheaper chinese branded A/C installed and this worked ok but struggled on hot days. I replaced these with Hitachi units and have not missed a beat. All the well known brands will be as good as each other and comes down to a reccomendation or personal choice.

• The Following User Says Thank You to johnwinger For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (18-01-12)

Thanks

Spoke to this same guy today and he said Fujitsu older units going back 8 years or more where some of the best but now to get more competitive have scaled back on quality in favor of price and quantity , spare parts are expensive and the service isn't very good , he said most common faults are compressor failures which are expensive.

Daikin , he said were pretty much in the same class as the Mitsubishi units but he said they are over complicated so also quite expensive to repair even though they have a low failure rate.

Main reason he recommends Mitsubishi is the build quality is very good , individual parts are available for reasonable prices without having to buy complete units , service is first class , they are as efficient as they claim to be , they look nice and purchase costs are almost as low as the lower quality units, very easy to install and work on if ever necessary.

I have had an old Fujitsu for about 8 years that hasn't missed a beat , to be honest I can't recall ever hearing of any brand of aircon that has continued to be an issue and keep costing money , If they have a decent warranty and the right price we are pretty much protected in Australia by the tough consumer laws we have.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Joey For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (18-01-12)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast