Thread: Garmin tracklogging

Thanks

Default Garmin tracklogging

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the newer Garmin's have a track logging capability?

If possible I want to go 4WDing with the Topo/OzTopo maps, come back and load it into Mapsource/Basecamp and see where I have been.

Possible?

Cheers.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MultiSlayer View Post
    ...Does anyone know if the newer Garmin's have a track logging capability?...
    Most (all?) hand helds have track logging.
    nuvis - some do.
    Even my old 250 has it available.

• The Following User Says Thank You to scubadoo For This Useful Post:

MultiSlayer (15-01-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Handhelds definitely do have an excellent track logging ability.

Most Nuvi's (in Car GPS) do track your travels however its not as well organised as my Handheld - Etrex Vista.
    The info is stored in a GPX file.
    The track log is sometimes referred to as the trip log & they don't seem to list capabilities for it in the specs.

I have a 1490t & there is no mention of it in the specs, yet I can plug it into the computer & see where I have been, in a folder called GPX there is a Current GPX file & a folder named Archive that has track logs dating back about a year including a trip I did from Tasmania to Northern Victoria in April 2011.

I would assume as the newer Nuvi's have a thing called MY TRENDS which predicts rout's based on your personal driving history, that they must store your trip/track logs in a similar fashion.

Hope that helps, perhaps you have a friend or neighbor who could let you test theirs.
    Or ask the retailer if the model you are about to buy has the capability & if he doesn't know go to ask them & they will know.
    Last edited by Tiny; 15-01-12 at 10:09 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

MultiSlayer (15-01-12)

Thanks

Thanks Tiny,

I bought the Nuvi 50 this morning, I want the large screen and no fancy extra's, just Navigation.

Playing with oztopo and topo now, do you think I should be using Basecamp or Mapsource on my PC?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

I use my Nuvi 255W for the same reasons as you. I run the latest CN routable maps for on road and the latest OzTopo maps for offroad/topo use, along with the 5m countour maps from Countours Australia.

I use MapSource to download my track and waypoints after each trip. Simply plug the unit in and select 'Transfer', 'Receive from device'. Then just choose 'Tracks' and 'Waypoints'.

You should have no problems doing the same with the Nuvi 50.

I have BaseCamp installed as well, and understand it has now replaced MapSource, but I've been using MapSource for the better part of 10 years so won't switch over until I have to. The only benefit I see in BaseCamp is it's 3D ability, but I don't have any 3D maps. Apart from that it is a far more resource intensive application.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 15-01-12 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

MultiSlayer (15-01-12)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply peteramjet, great info.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I agree with peteramjet, I've been using Mapsource for a while too & find Basecamp a little slower (resource hungry), however when you get used to it the 3d imagery & the ability to change the direction of view is like Google Earth without the terrain, if you have a 3d map like Garmin Topo 3.
    BaseCamp will also read the maps & user data (eg; waypoints & tracks) from you GPS or an SD Card without having them installed or downloaded on your PC.
    So do what I do; use both.
    Yes when you connect your Nuvi 50 to MS or BC it will bring in the current GPX file it may or may not bring in the "Archive" folder?
    My 1490t only brings in the Current & Temp GPX files which contain the last week or month depending on how much distance traveled. But then I'm not connecting to my PC & downloading on a regular basis.
    If I want older files, I have to got to the archive folder in the GPS & copy the files across to my PC if I want to keep them before they get overwritten, oldest files first.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

MultiSlayer (15-01-12)

Thanks

I have the 50 up and running with CN 2012.40, Shonky Maps, T4A, OzTopo and Topo. Great fun and lots to play with.

I have BaseCamp installed and had a quick play with it. I might install Map Source later on. Still got a bit of researching and playing to do with the GPX files, also working out how they behave.

Thanks for all your input, very helpful.

Cheers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to MultiSlayer For This Useful Post:

Tiny (15-01-12)

Thanks

Is there an easy way to change the name of map sets as they show up on the GPS?

A couple of the above map sets that I mention above have cryptic names, I would just like to clean them up a bit.

Is running them through the Gmap Tool the only way?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi MultiSlayer,
    On my Nuvi all those map sets are easily identified & selected by their proper name, however, on my Etrex the OzTopo V3 roads & contour layers come up with a "cryptic" name so I just guess which ones which.

I would have though that the Nuvi 50 would do the same as my Nuvi 1490, never make assumptions hey.

I have tried, to change the OzTopo names with GMapTool with no success.

Unfortunately, the MapSource version of OzTopo3 cannot be exported from MS, if it could then you would be able to rename the map set during transfer. It could be done by using GmapTool to make a MapSource version yourself then name the map set what you like during that process or at transfer from MS. Unfortunately making a MS version with GmapTool will disable the find feature of the map set.

If you have the same problems with Shonky, T4A, or any other map you have exported from MS, do the export again, after you have selected the tiles, in the Maps tab click "Map Set Name" untick "Auto name the map set" then name it something you like, go ahead with "send to device".

If you are using Map Install that comes with BaseCamp then there is no option to rename map set.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Tiny

MultiSlayer (06-02-12)

Thanks

Thanks Tiny, so unfortunately no easy way

Nice work on picking which pack I was talking about! All the others are fine.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Since its only the one Map set its not that much of a problem.

I just had another go at it with GmapTool, I can actually change the Mapset name, however the GPS is reading the Header within the image file in priority to the Map set name & I can't work out how to change the header within the Map set.

My Nuvi shows both the header & map set name??
    Etrex just the header.
    Cheers, Tiny

MultiSlayer (07-02-12)

Thanks

Yes the Nuvi50 shows both as well.

• The Following User Says Thank You to MultiSlayer For This Useful Post:

Tiny (07-02-12)