Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony hdmi bug w/VAST DSD4121

Thanks

Default Sony hdmi bug w/VAST DSD4121

Hello All

FYI, I have worked out my new Sony TV has the exact same issue as what is mentioned in the Samsung hdmi bug thread!

The work around is exactly the same as what th37sk has mentioned.

This is only related to the HDMI the AV inputs on the TV work everytime.

My TV model is KDL-32CX520, and has the latest firmware.

This was not the cause of my STB issues in my other thread.

Thanks
    Last edited by newy1234; 18-01-12 at 09:04 AM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Newy, it will be interesting to see if others encounter this same problem with both those TV brands and the UEC and also any others.
    If it is an 'across the board' problem with the UEC, what are they going to do about it even if they do agree there 'could be an incompatabilty Problem'?

Maybe other members could reply by giving the brand of TV they have connected to a VAST UEC stb and we use that as a sort of a 'works with register'?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-01-12 at 09:28 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Not sure on what the "samsung hdmi bug" is but i have my uec going into a 3 way hdmi splitter then into my pioneer panel,now the other 2 inputs on the splitter have dvd and blu ray player connected. To get a pic on my vast box i have to have either 1 of the dvd players turned on (not standby) other wise no pic. Very strange as anything else connect to the splitter works fine without the players having to be on.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wheelz For This Useful Post:

CHRISS (18-01-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
    Not sure on what the "samsung hdmi bug" is but i have my uec going into a 3 way hdmi splitter then into my pioneer panel,now the other 2 inputs on the splitter have dvd and blu ray player connected. To get a pic on my vast box i have to have either 1 of the dvd players turned on (not standby) other wise no pic. Very strange as anything else connect to the splitter works fine without the players having to be on.
    A splitter is the reverse of what you are descibing. eg: a 3-way splitter takes a single input and ouputs to three devices.

Yours sounds more like a 3-way selector switch with an HDCP protocol issue between the connected devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    A splitter is the reverse of what you are descibing. eg: a 3-way splitter takes a single input and ouputs to three devices.

Yours sounds more like a 3-way selector switch with an HDCP protocol issue between the connected devices.
    Yes you are correct its a selector,i'll head off to the naughty corner.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

HDMI has industry standards that all manufacturers are supposed to adhere to for the purpose of compatibility, I doubt Samsung & particularly Sony would build TV's that don't comply, so what are UEC up to then

I for one would be pissed off if my overpriced UEC4121 didn't output pictures in Full 1080HD to my Full 1080HD TV since that is what it is supposed to do.

Thankfully Panasonic's seem to be OK.

EDIT: According to th37sk this issue can be rectified, but may not be, with firmware update of the UEC. That Sucks
    Last edited by Tiny; 18-01-12 at 05:17 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-01-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

And if it is a firmware issue and UEC need to release another firmware upgrade to fix it.... that's another $20K fee they have to pay Optus.

Not exactly an incentive for regular firmware upgrades/fixes.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (19-01-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

And if it is a firmware issue and UEC need to release another firmware upgrade to fix it.... that's another $20K fee they have to pay Optus.

Not exactly an incentive for regular firmware upgrades/fixes.
    1: They are releasing a new firmware upgrade & it should of been fixed in that.

2: Samsung & Sony are a big chunk of the market to dismiss as not worth being compatible with!
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

No problems here, bought a Sony Bravia LED/LCD bla bla bla and hooked up via HDMI..............fantastic picture, very happy with VAST (ditched Aust*r and Auror*) happy with what I have and it can only get better.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    1: They are releasing a new firmware upgrade & it should of been fixed in that.

2: Samsung & Sony are a big chunk of the market to dismiss as not worth being compatible with!
    The UEC firmware intended for OTA 'release' is the PVR upgrade firmware which is identical to that pre-installed the PVR units currently being sold.

As th37sk said, their VAST box is the PVR unit and it has the issue with the Samsung, so it appears the UEC firmware due for general release hasn't addressed that issue.

Although I've seen some firmware issues with Samsung TV's even affecting FTA terrestrial signals, with reports of the UEC box having compatibility issues with Sony as well now tends to suggest UEC may need to make some changes.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (19-01-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

I know R&D of any new devise takes time and hiccups occur but UEC are NOT a 'New Kid on the Block' in the manufacturing of Satelitte set top box's and the VAST stb's didnt just come down in the last shower.
    HDMI is itself an 'ADD ON' application like RCA/SCART and I would have thought there should be no 'issues' with it so why or what have UEC 'done/not done' in adding this to the operation of the VAST UEC stb?
    One way to get any improvements in any product is to have healthy competition and as we all know to our chagrin, the VAST stb has NONE..............so we're left with a 'Like it ot Lump it' situation.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

C-Bander (19-01-12),Tiny (19-01-12)

Thanks

So the VAST box's HDMI works fine on most TV's (including many Samsung models), but a few specific models do not show picture if you turn them off and then on again. How does everyone conclude that it must be the VAST box that's solely at fault? Sounds more like an issue with those TV's to me, or maybe a bit of both...

1) If it was a general issue with the VAST box's HDMI, it would show the same problem on all TVs.
    2) Other devices might not have an issue on those TVs, but then they probably don't have HDCP content protection like the VAST box has.
    3) I have read elsewhere of guys fixing this problem by updating their TV firmware. Your big-brand TV has certainly never heard of VAST, so their new firmware is fixing a general problem on the TV (most likely around HDCP).
    4) I bet many components/modules are used commonly across various brands, so the fact that different brands show the same problem doesn't mean much.

If you are thinking "Nonsense, the big-brand TV manufacturers must always get it perfect", google "HDMI problem on <insert favourite TV brand here>"...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buffalo Bill For This Useful Post:

mtv (20-01-12),OSIRUS (19-01-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

There's every chance it's some type of conflict with the ridiculous level of encryption VAST has.

That encryption caused issues such as glitching and freezing earlier on, which was overcome with firmware upgrades.

While UEC is certainly no stranger to satellite decoder design & manufacture, including various encryption types, VAST is the first of its type with such high levels of encryption, which has, and may continue to present problems.

So in the scheme of things.... VAST is still relatively new.

Thanks

Default TCL - HDMI Issue

Also having an issue with the HDMI on a TCL LED. Sound with no picture. I have hunted around for a firmware upgrade but have come up short. Any pointers where to I may head would be appreciated.

Premium Member

Thanks

There's every chance it's some type of conflict with the ridiculous level of encryption VAST has.

That encryption caused issues such as glitching and freezing earlier on, which was overcome with firmware upgrades.

While UEC is certainly no stranger to satellite decoder design & manufacture, including various encryption types, VAST is the first of its type with such high levels of encryption, which has, and may continue to present problems.

My previous comments re UEC/VAST would appear to be in conflict with MTV's comment but he is right in saying VAST is relatively new both with the STB and delivery of the service which makes me ask has it been done too soon or without sufficient planning by all concerned?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

mtv (20-01-12),OSIRUS (20-01-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    My previous comments re UEC/VAST would appear to be in conflict with MTV's comment but he is right in saying VAST is relatively new both with the STB and delivery of the service which makes me ask has it been done too soon or without sufficient planning by all concerned?
    I think with the planned introduction of terrestrial digital TV the government planners were caught out when the suddenly realized that the reception footprint was not going to be the same as the old system. To solve this they rushed through the VAST system so no one would be disadvantaged. Typical government stuff up.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    has it been done too soon or without sufficient planning by all concerned?
    Part of the problem has been the 'moving of the goalposts' in relation to compliance criteria.

I believe this is part of the reason for the lack of competitve products.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

UEC's were terrible when Foxtel used them with Irdeto. Those that had them will remember Firmware upgrades used to happen very reguarly. UEC couldnt get it right with Irdeto 1 let alone Irdeto 2.

It might sound a bit harsh, but realistically, UEC produce nothing but low cost crap and always have.

They sell us dogs and we end up with the fleas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Croady View Post
    Also having an issue with the HDMI on a TCL LED. Sound with no picture. I have hunted around for a firmware upgrade but have come up short. Any pointers where to I may head would be appreciated.
    Can you get the picture to come up if you leave the TV turned on and then press the reset button on the front of the Vast box and wait for the boot cycle?

Banned
    Thanks

My box is connected to a Yamaha surround system with a HDMI cable one to the Yamaha and the other to my Toshiba although the box is not a PVR model everything works fine.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast