Thread: Sangean Radio PR-D3L problems

Thanks

Default Sangean Radio PR-D3L problems

I hope this post is in the right spot? Anyway I have a Sangean digital radio that wont work through the speakers,headphones are OK it sounds excellent and the LCD screen is playing up from what I can gather problems with the screen is a common occurrence,I cant find any fixes for it by googleing so I'm wondering if anyone here has had this same problem and knows how to fix it? I cant find anything obvious like burn marks leaky caps cracks in the pcb boards ect...

Look Here ->
    Thanks

OK the actual wires on the speaker cone had broken so I have soldered them back so thats alright its just the display Im haveing problems with now, Anyone?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

The PR-D3L has outstanding long distance AM performance, but unfortunately early models were plagued with display problems. I have a 9 year old model that I gave up on trying to fix (it's now in the workshop running on mains power). I still was not put off on buying a replacement (they seem to have fixed the LCD issue). $150 from DSE is not cheap but at least I can listen to Sydney radio up to 300 kms away (even better at night). I did price a replacement PCB from Sangean but it was more than two thirds the cost of a new unit.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks

Default PR-D3L Display Problem can be fixed

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    The PR-D3L has outstanding long distance AM performance, but unfortunately early models were plagued with display problems. I have a 9 year old model that I gave up on trying to fix (it's now in the workshop running on mains power). I still was not put off on buying a replacement (they seem to have fixed the LCD issue). $150 from DSE is not cheap but at least I can listen to Sydney radio up to 300 kms away (even better at night). I did price a replacement PCB from Sangean but it was more than two thirds the cost of a new unit.
    I have two of these great radios that have lost their displays. I am so pleased with them that I have spent the time and research to find a way to fix the problem. By disconnecting the printed ribbon cable of the display and rewiring it with special conductive adhesive and fine copper wire the problem can be permanently fixed. I have repaired both my digitors and the work really well. A lot better solution than buying a new radio that is just not the same as my old ones!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madaboutears View Post
    I have two of these great radios that have lost their displays.
    Seems like a common problem with these Sangean radios. I also have the Sangean digital DAB+ model of this radio that has lost its display. It is a DPR-44 purchased from and still under warranty.

UPDATE: The display just came back on again. No idea why it stopped working. Since the radio has been sitting in the same place for most of the time and not been moved around. All I did was take it downstairs and test it elsewhere.
    Last edited by Greg; 21-08-15 at 02:46 PM.