Thread: Printing via wireless laptop

Thanks

Default Printing via wireless laptop

Hi all,
    I’ve just bought myself a new all in one printer (Canon CX9300F).
    I’ve connected it up to my PC (Win XP Pro) and everything works fine. All canon software installed. It can print any .doc, .xls, .pdf etc etc.
    In the printer properties ive chosen to share the printer and given it a shared name so I can print from my wireless laptop (Vista Home Premium).

Now is when the problem starts.
    When I try and print a word doc .doc file, it comes up with a message saying, “The printer has not yet responded, but the Microsoft Office program may be able to proceed without printer information. Do you want to continue to wait for the printer?
    The options are Yes and No.
    If I select Yes, the message will disappear and reappear not long after. Eventually, Microsoft Word locks up. If I select the print option from the File menu, the print dialog box opens and where the drop down box is, is blank. I click on the arrow to select the printer and the printer is there. If I select it, it just locks up.

I don’t know why this happens only on word and not excel and web pages etc etc?

Does anybody know why its happening?

One more question about printing from the laptop. When I’ve got a file open and I select print preview, it takes ages for the print preview page to appear. Even if I want to simply print, it takes a while for it to be sent to the printer.

Is this normal expectations over a wirless home network? BTW. the main PC has to be ON in order for me to print. I was going to get a wireless printer so i can print from the laptop without having to worry about the PC being turned on but i didn't bother.

THanks
    Slick1

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Check if Vista has drivers for the Canon...my understanding is the print server (XP)sends it drivers to the machine trying to print(Vista)
    Chunder

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

have you installed the shared printer on your lappy????

at the "start/run" prompt (or with vista I thin the RUN application is in Accessories" you can type "\\a.b.c.d" being the IP address of the computer that has the printer attached. A window should open showing you all the shares available. double click on the printer icon and the printer should install on your lappy.

If you dont know the ip address of your host machine. then at a dos box prompt type "ifconfig" the ip address should be listed.

Note. It is better to have a static IP address on teh machine that has the printer attached, ie the print server.

Thanks

Thanks for that.

Chunder. When i installed it, i used the vista drivers.

Porkop, i'll try what you suggest over the weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks

One thing to try is remove all the canon drivers from the vista machine....then see if you can find the Xp laptop canon printer on your network and allow it to be installed on the vista laptop.
    Chunder