Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Satellite's can we catch in Sydney

Thanks

Default What Satellite's can we catch in Sydney

I am in Hornsby Heights NSW. What satellite's can we get from here?
    Is there somewhere where I can see a list along with direction?

Secondly, I am mainly interested in Pakistani and Indian channels and Sports channel that show cricket. Can I get anything else except Asiasat3?

I plan to use a dreambox HD.

Many Thanks,

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Yes, you can receive a lot more than Asiasat3.

It all depends on what dish equipment you use, eg: C-band, Ku Band, dish size, fixed or motorised dish, etc etc.

The satellites you wish to receive must have covereage (eg: beam or footprint) that covers Sydney and you must have a clear view of the sky towards those satellites. eg: no obstructions with trees or buildings, etc.

Have a look at

A very useful feature of a satellite decoder is blidscan, which will automatically tune all available channels once you are aligned correctly with your dish and decoder settings.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the dreambox has blindscan.

Several channels on various satellites are encrypted, so you'd need a valid subscription from that provider to watch those channels.. eg: pay TV.

There's lots of info in the newbie satellite sub-forum.

Another useful website is where you can see on google maps where the satellites are in relation to your location, for help pointing your dish.
    Last edited by mtv; 20-01-12 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added info

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Brand_New_Guy (21-01-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brand_New_Guy View Post
    I am in Hornsby Heights NSW. What satellite's can we get from here? Is there somewhere where I can see a list along with direction? Secondly, I am mainly interested in Pakistani and Indian channels and Sports channel that show cricket. Can I get anything else except Asiasat3? I plan to use a dreambox HD. Many Thanks,
    Well Asiasat5 sometimes has cricket FTA, and you are probably too far south east to get 68.5E which carries the Ten Sports India / Pakistan channels and also has lots of Indian and Pakistani channels as well.

Another issue is how big is your dish and what line of sight you have to the satellites. Not sure if you can get the Insat beams in Australia but they carry a lot of FTA Indian and Pakistani content

• The Following User Says Thank You to irdeto2engineer For This Useful Post:

Brand_New_Guy (21-01-12)

Thanks

Thanks for that.
    Line of sight will not be an issue as the Dish is on the roof with almost 360 degree clear line of sight. It is a large mesh dish. I think it is more than 2 metres in diameter. But it is fixed and there is no motor. Will I need to put another dish for other satellites?

I also need help getting the right decoder. I found someone in Pakistan who is selling a DreamBox and also provides annual subscription for satellite channels. However, I would prefer someone local who can provide it. What is the difference between DM800 and DM8000?

Secondly, I also need help with installation as I am disabled and won't be able to do it myself any more.

Am I allowed to put my contact details on this forum?

Regards,

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I would suggest they contact you by PM,

& you PM them,

or ask them to email you to the email address you signed up with.....

until you want to give them your physical address etc.... (privately)

You could also put a Request for an installer to do the job for you (in your area) in the Buy & Sell area of this forum.
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 21-01-12 at 12:48 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Thanks for that.
    Line of sight will not be an issue as the Dish is on the roof with almost 360 degree clear line of sight. It is a large mesh dish. I think it is more than 2 metres in diameter. But it is fixed and there is no motor. Will I need to put another dish for other satellites?

I also need help getting the right decoder. I found someone in Pakistan who is selling a DreamBox and also provides annual subscription for satellite channels. However, I would prefer someone local who can provide it. What is the difference between DM800 and DM8000?

Secondly, I also need help with installation as I am disabled and won't be able to do it myself any more.

Regards,
    Hello BNG

You can post a thread in our Buy Sell Trade forum looking for an installer. That is the correct place for threads asking for services as Osirus mentioned.

Someone selling a subscription for a service in Pakistan may be no good to you....you need line of site to the satellite and as we are on the far side of the world to Pakistan we are not able to receive the same satellites that they do.

It sounds like what you have is a C Band dish and your best option would be to get it motor driven so it can move between satellites. This is probably what you should be doing first, that way you will be able to find out exactly what satellites you can hit with it.

What is the difference between DM800 and DM8000?
    About $1000

Check out the BST forum, you should be able to also find yourself a sat box in there new or used.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Brand_New_Guy (21-01-12)

Thanks

Thanks Osirus. I have posted on the Buy and Sell area. Hopefully someone will contact me for selling me a DreamBox.

Sanity,
    Thanks for responding. I couldn't find a seller in Australia who could sell me services to watch these channels, that is why I contacted a retailed in Pakistan regarding watching Asiasat3. I thought asking by satellite name, people would know what I am after.

I am not sure if motorising will be ideal as we have 8 receivers in this house attached to the same dish. Otherwise everytime I change direction, others will lose their shows.
    I might need to put up another dish for this. Which means I need a receiver that can take multiple signals right?

I still don't understand the difference between the DM800 and DM8000. Apart from a CD burner, is there anything else? Will it allow me to watch and record simultaneously?

Regards,

Administrator
    Thanks

I am not sure if motorising will be ideal as we have 8 receivers in this house attached to the same dish. Otherwise everytime I change direction, others will lose their shows.
    I might need to put up another dish for this. Which means I need a receiver that can take multiple signals right?
    Yes, you are correct, if you motorise the existing dish, all decoders will only be able to view the individual satellite the dish is pointing at.

As you mentioned, a separate dish would be ideal as you would then not interfere with the viewing of others in the house.

You can combine multiple dishes with most decoders and another option would be to upgrade the existing multiswitch (assuming there is one) so all decoders in the house can see what's on both dishes independently.

So there's a few options, but it would be best to determine exactly what you want to receive and confirm if it can be received at your location, before deciding on purchasing anything.

Unless I missed it, I didn't see a request for an installer in the BST forum?

Thanks

Hi mtv,

Thanks for your response.

I am not sure about a multi switch but each room has a receiver of its own. People can watch whatever they want independently.

A company was offering DreamBox in Pakistan along with Annual subscription as they have licensing from those channels to resell. They offered me a clone DM800, Original Dm800 or Original Dm8000. They could courier the device over.
    However the cost was getting higher than what I could buy from elsewhere. I would prefer someone local who knows it better for warranty and peace of mind.

I did send a couple of PMs to people offering DreamBoxes but did not create a new thread.

I thought people would respond to my post:
    Naturally if someone has a better solution, I would like to hear about that too.

Secondly, I do need to know what satellite's are visible in Sydney, so I can plan things.
    I did get some links above but couldn't work out how to get this information.

If you feel you can help, please contact me via PM or respond to my post.

Kind regards,

Premium Member
    Thanks

Do you know what Satellite the Dreamboxes from Pakistan are tuned into (looking at)....

Do you know what channels you are looking for..... they may be on other satellites (with footprints that cover Australia)

we could then work out if you can see that satellite from Australia

Your Dish sounds like a C Band dish..... (I have not got C Band dish set up at the moment)

someone else may be able to list some C Band satellites visable in Australia,

some KU Band Satellites (smaller dish, & a Ku Band LNB needed ) visable in Sydney would include

Asiasat 4
    Optus D2
    Optus C1
    Optus D1
    intelsat 8

& maybe a couple of others

Good Luck
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 21-01-12 at 08:55 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Brand_New_Guy (21-01-12)

Thanks

I just tried looking again and here are the satellite's that should be there:

156E OPTUS C1 | OPTUS D3
    152E OPTUS D2
    166E INTELSAT 8 (IS-8)
    105.5E ASIASAT 3S
    160E BEIDOU G4 | OPTUS D1

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Last edited by Brand_New_Guy; 21-01-12 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Removing my name

Thanks

Thanks Osirus,

Looks like you beat me to it.
    I'll try and list Channels by Satellite and upload the file for you to see.

Regards,

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

did you look on lyngsat.com/asia.html to see all the sats you can see? You can get from Intelsat 18 down to Measat 3 or even Thiacom 5. You won't get all sats because Syd is not in all their foot prints. For these you can go to satbeams.com

.......Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks

I just tried looking again and here are the satellite's that should be there:

156E OPTUS C1 | OPTUS D3
    152E OPTUS D2
    166E INTELSAT 8 (IS-8)
    105.5E ASIASAT 3S
    160E BEIDOU G4 | OPTUS D1

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    All of the Optus sats are Ku band, so you only need a small dish for those channels. eg: Foxtel size = 65cm.

IS8 has both Ku and C-Band and Asiasat 3s C-Band

Thanks

I still don't understand the difference between the DM800 and DM8000. Apart from a CD burner, is there anything else? Will it allow me to watch and record simultaneously?

Regards,
    Apart of what Sanity mentioned ($1,000), yes dm8000 has two DVB-S tuners with the option to get two more tuners of either type: DVB-S, T, or C. (satellite, terrestrial or cable. Which would transform your box in a quad tunner receiver. Which you can watch or record lots of programs in the same time from different transporders/satellites. Depends of your dish setup of course.

And yeah, the CD (DVD) burner does not come with the box. It has a provision for a DVD burner.
    Hope this helps...
    DM8000 quad tunner 2xDVB-S2 + 2xDVB-T, DM500HD

• The Following User Says Thank You to danone For This Useful Post:

Brand_New_Guy (22-01-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Also keep in mind that a Subscription card from Pakistan could be useless in Australia unless you can see the Satellite the Services are on

What is the Pay TV Provider ? (& what Satellite does it broadcast on ?)

& a STB Tuned for a Satellite in Pakastan may not work if you cannot see that satellite in Australia..... ?

(Although the Dreambox could possilbly be re-set-up & rescanned for other Satellites)

It may be like me taking my Austar card & STB to the United States.....probably won't work there

Another way is to ask some of your friends or some Pakistany or Indian people who have Satellite TV (in Australia)..... what is their setup for.... what channels do they get.....what satellites....what LNB ....what size dish ...... what STB...... any subscription cards etc... (or ask a Professional Installer who does this type of work....)
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 22-01-12 at 10:58 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Brand_New_Guy (22-01-12)

Thanks

Thanks for that folks.
    You have all been very helpful. Now I understand a lot more about these things.

I had a look all the satellite's listed in my area and it appears that only ASIASAT3 will have the Pakistani and Indian Channels.

Now I am thinking of getting a low end DreamBox from the mob in Pakistan.
    The advantages are:
    - It will let me see what channels I can actually see
    - Less investment for trailing
    - Make sure the guys can deliver the service they are promising
    - If all goes well, I can then buy a better box locally and configure it for use
    Is it easy to replicate the settings across? What box would be recommended for my use?

OR I could try and see if he will sell me only the annual subscription, and we can use a box locally. (if he agrees to sell me the subscription only).
    What settings / files would I need from him?

Notes:
    - I would be great if I could record a second program while another is being viewed and if it could record while in standby mode.
    - I could then look at getting rid of Foxtel from a couple of the rooms.

Kind regards,

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

In a similar forum, there have been inquiries from those from Malasia, Indonesia, Korea and Japan seeking services from their home countries and as Osirus points out that even though the satelittes can be clearly 'seen' from your area, the beam of the satelittes do not face this way so it may not be possible to recieve them.
    The other problem is with services that require a subscription is those companies dont have the rights to sell their services into Australia even though it can be received here and in past times, people have been prosocuted for selling unauthorised subscriptions outside of the country.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Attaching channels list on Asiasat3. I have also identified channels which are encrypted and the ones I would like to watch.

Thanks

Thanks Osirus,
    I will keep these in mind next time I call them.

I did mention ASIASAT3S and he said they will be available along with a channels on a couple of other satellites. But instead of buying a $900 solution blindly, I am thinking I should try something small to see if it will work first. I was thinking of either getting subscription only or just get a smaller box like DM500 etc for testing.

Hi Gordon,
    I am able to see channels on this satellite at home and the non-subscribed ones come encrypted. I am happy to pay for subscription locally but I don't believe there is anyone in Australia who sells them here.

Regards,

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast