Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSM signal ooster

Thanks

Default GSM signal ooster

I've got woeful gsm reception here at the ranch so I'm looking to see if anyone has used those powered GSM boosters you see for sale on Ebay etc.
    Member since March 2002 and still in the Blue

Look Here ->

Thanks

The ACMA has very large boot for anyone caught with such a device. The only legal device I know of is from Optus.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

And there are literally thousands of them out there.
    Most are 3G these days.

Your first choice is ditch GSM and go 3G. GSM's days are seriously numbered.
    Oh... where is HERE ? (this does make a big difference)
    Next is to use an external antenna, either a vertical or yagi.

If you're seriously in the boonies, then there are options.

I have plenty of stories about (illegal) active repeaters. Basically, IF somebody is caught, the soft approach is used and 99.9% of people are co-operative. The 0.1% need some more persuasion, but it has never come to the need to use..."the boot"
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

best4less (27-01-12)

Thanks

3G is just as bad here and yeah the place is in the boonies, closest house is about a K away. My phone won't take an antenna. and I'd like to get good coverage around all of the house and garage area.
    I'm keen to try one. If they work that is..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    The ACMA has very large boot for anyone caught with such a device. The only legal device I know of is from Optus.
    Yeah, who doesn't have a large boot these days.. You really think they are going to drive on 5 K's of dirt road to find me when the boosted signal won't even reach the next house?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Yes, they work OK. Speaking from experience.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

I'm with Optarse and have one of those Optus homezone units. They work very well full bars in every corner of the house (40 squares), the range of the unit is 30 meters.

When the primary user makes calls too any mobile network, any homeline and interstate are free from within the range of the homezone unit. The only catch is that it uses the internet. I have had it for three months and the quality is great. For normal use they say it only uses about 1gig per month, have not noticed any increase in my download limit (TPG)

At the moment if you buy a phone with them on a $59.95pm or above plan the Homezone are for free.

P.S. you can have up to 12 users and they also get full bars but no free calls
    Last edited by joezep; 27-01-12 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks

yes but the Optus Homezone widgets are really only available for metro areas and rural areas with sufficient capacity, even a place like Lismore Northern NSW doesn't have the available network coverage to run these devices let alone where I live

if you can't get a decent mobile signal then I gather your interwebs isn't very good as well, so as the Homezone runs over the net you it might not be a solution

Thanks

I've installed some active repeaters before - with approval from the telco - but that was at the request of those telcos. They do work OK, but you need to carefully isolate the outside antenna from the indoor.
    You will need a different type, depending on wether you want GSM or 3G. Never seen a dual type one before, at least something affordable.

There is the possibility that you can approach your telco to get this to happen legally, start by making a complaint about coverage. Make lots of noise. Call frequently, complain bitterly. Then offer the suggestion of installing an active repeater, at your cost. They may well pass on the request to their engineering department, give you the OK and away you go - but you'll need to buy their unit, or source a C-tick approved unit somehow. I've never heard of it happening this way - not from a private individual anyway - but you never know unless you try. But plenty of companies that justify spending amounts, either number of accounts or monthly spend, do this, and get telco organised active repeaters installed in their offices / warehouses to improve coverage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fernbay View Post
    Yes, they work OK. Speaking from experience.
    Maybe you could PM me some details and brand etc that has worked.
    The last thing I want to do is call a telco about this..

Thanks

I did have a look at making a passive type but I don't think it would be enough.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,964 Times in 1,287 Posts

I looked in to setting up a passive system for a mates house as his house has a tin roof and foil insulation on the walls stand out side you get 3/4 signal in side your lucky to get any signal. i was told that the cost for the almost no gain it was not worth it and you would only get an improvement while you near the indoor antenna. A powerd system is the go but the telcos don't like them as they like it when your call drops out as they get a flag fall each time you try and make a call.

SS Dave

Thanks

Yeah, that sounds about right..
    I can see they may be a problem in city areas if just about every man and his dog had one but where this place is .. well I don't think it would be an issue.
    I could call the provider but somehow I don't think they would be too eager to sort out the problem. They are not as interested in Regional areas as they are in the more populated city areas.
    I think the booster is the go, It's just a matter of getting it here without it being confiscated at customs.
    Last edited by AceR; 28-01-12 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

What area are you in Acer ?
    You can PM me if you like. It really does make a difference and I might know somebody in your area that can help you out and has installed them before.

With regards to interference, if they're going to find you, then they ARE going to find you.

If nothing goes wrong, then they are not going to bother you or come looking.
    I know of cells where it's obvious that there are illegal repeaters operating. I know this because I can see it in the test results from the base station and I know the person who installed them
    Those units don't cause any problems because the guy who installs them does a damn good job and if there is a problem, I can call him if his customer hasn't already.

As for finding rouge repeaters that have gone bad. It doesn't take that long.
    Think about how long it would take me to drive from the base station to your place with a couple of stops to look at the map for directions.

Nobody is going to kick down your door. There's no point in doing that.
    Any issues are easily resolved.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

best4less (28-01-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Some here Acer >
    and here >
    Last edited by weirdo; 28-01-12 at 03:22 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

best4less (28-01-12)

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

I looked into this issue some time ago and found a solution that has a Yagi on the roof outside, a dome antenna on the ceiling inside the house and a small duplex booster amp between the two.
    I've checked my bookmarks and can't see it, so Googled for it but can't find it.

I did find a few solutions that may be worth looking at:

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I think I will just build something..

Thanks

Thanks

Most of these repeaters , whether they be on ebay or web sites (shops) pretty much all come from China. May as well just cut out the middle man and order direct from the manufacture. I saw one guy selling them from the UK but in his feedback it was pointed out that the parcel was posted from China. So he takes your money then adds his fee and then gets it sent to you.
    Anyway I'm going to build a Yagi antenna for the internet and then I'll sort something out with a Yagi for the phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AceR View Post
    Most of these repeaters , whether they be on ebay or web sites (shops) pretty much all come from China. May as well just cut out the middle man and order direct from the manufacture. I saw one guy selling them from the UK but in his feedback it was pointed out that the parcel was posted from China. So he takes your money then adds his fee and then gets it sent to you.
    Anyway I'm going to build a Yagi antenna for the internet and then I'll sort something out with a Yagi for the phone.
    Build a yagi aye? By what specs will you decide on length and spacing of your directors? Dipole length? Specs by formula are there, but I'd I'd start by buying one first, even if they are 4 x the price of a FTA antenna. What makes you think the antenna is different for the net against the phone if running the same frequency? You obviously have line of sight to run a yagi!

I'd like to buy a Beemer direct. How do you think I'd go?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast