Thread: FBI Releases Plans To Monitor Social Networks

Thanks

Default FBI Releases Plans To Monitor Social Networks

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation has quietly released details of plans to continuously monitor the global output of Facebook, Twitter and other social networks, offering a rare glimpse into an activity that the FBI and other government agencies are reluctant to discuss publicly. The plans show that the bureau believes it can use information pulled from social media sites to better respond to crises, and maybe even to foresee them.

If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

It's okay, they're only after "bad actors" presumably like Paris Hilton.

Anyway, the spy agencies have been doing it for ages. What's the dif?

Thanks

personally I think the difference may be that they have gone out asking companies WHAT can you do for us (spying). Also perhaps it may become YOU (company) with all the data MUST hand it over...or provide easy access too it.

Sure, been going on for a while. I think it may be a STEP UP in the game, who knows.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Default Flagged and Tagged ;)

Careful what you tweet.

Two 20-somethings arriving from the U.K. learned a harsh lesson about the American government's sense of humor on Monday, Jan. 23, when they were detained and then forced to return home due to comments they made on Twitter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by z1gg33 View Post
    Yeah....amazing.....I couldn't stop laughing...the land of the free...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (29-02-12),z1gg33 (31-01-12)

Thanks

When you say Free, you mean Free to prevent any body from entering a country right....based on STUPID Social network comments

I am not saying what was said by the individuals was right AT ALL.... just that well... people do watch what is/has been said....

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The US government has the weird idea that their Laws are the only Laws and all should bow down and worship them.
    I am totaly opposed to their current efforts to extradite Julian Assange over the wikileaks and those in NZ with that Megafile program.
    If any of those have committed crimes under the laws of their own country, then by all means prosocute them and I have no problem with evidence being gathered 'Off Shore' to be presented at the trial but to want to extradite and try them in the US under a US law that isnt applicable in their own country is unjust.
    I have no problem with extradition agreements being in place and people being extradited to stand trail but only if the crime was committed in that country.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (27-02-12),Godzilla (29-02-12)

Thanks

hi all

google & yahoo are both bowing to the pressure they are change their privacy policies right now.

they say they will let anybody access details for legal purposes (they worded it slighty different but you get what it means)
    total spyware!!

Stavvy

Thanks

suprised nobody picked up on this cmon Z1gg letting yourself down !

Facebook admits reading text messages of app users
    Did as part of a trial to launch its own messaging service
    Some apps even allow companies to intercept phone calls

can you believe it

Facebook admitted reading text messages belonging to smartphone users who downloaded the social-networking app and said that it was accessing the data as part of a trial to launch its own messaging service, The (London) Sunday Times reported.

Other well-known companies accessing smartphone users' personal data - such as text messages - include photo-sharing site Flickr, dating site Badoo and Yahoo Messenger, the paper said.

It claimed that some apps even allow companies to intercept phone calls - while others, such as YouTube, are capable of remotely accessing and operating users' smartphone cameras to take photographs or videos at any time.

Security app My Remote Lock and the app Tennis Juggling Game were among smaller companies' apps that may intercept users' calls, the paper said.

damn nothing it seems we can do anything about, why is this not a breach of privacy???????????????

According to a YouGov poll for the newspaper, 70 per cent of smartphone users rarely or never read the terms and conditions policy when they download an app.

so as long as its in the t&c it's ok then

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

I dunno why everyone is so absorbed by what goes on in the US....our own labour government, in addition to having censorship as party policy is sending us onto the slippery slope as well....

And everyone is scared of Abbott?? We ought to stop being so scared of our own f*cking shadows and keep an eye on what goes on here.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Don't worry about the FBI, you should be more worried about Bunnings
    I don't know if people are aware that large corporations in Australia are monitoring Facebook and other social media, my dumb son found that out when he was bad mouthing his bosses at Bunnings who called him into the office the following morning and fired him. Are people aware that windows has a back door, hence certain governments wont use it especially the Chinese
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I dont know about bunnings using a back door, but anything written in the public domain such as facebook is eventually available to all and sundry.

I personally do not think that any employer should be allowed to act on a person venting in their own time, it sort of makes our democratic society a wee bit fascist.
    Last edited by porkop; 27-02-12 at 05:54 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I dunno why everyone is so absorbed by what goes on in the US....our own labour government, in addition to having censorship as party policy is sending us onto the slippery slope as well....

And everyone is scared of Abbott?? We ought to stop being so scared of our own f*cking shadows and keep an eye on what goes on here.
    We don't need to be scared. Assuming the (L or L) gov introduces filters / surveillance etc, we have faith that both L & L will fvck up implementing it anyway
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following User Says Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

Extradry (28-02-12)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Are people aware that windows has a back door, hence certain governments wont use it especially the Chinese

Sorry wasn't inferring Bunnings were using a back door but monitoring!
    Last edited by allover; 27-02-12 at 06:37 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Thread moved from '' to the '' forum
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Don't worry about the FBI, you should be more worried about Bunnings
    I don't know if people are aware that large corporations in Australia are monitoring Facebook and other social media, my dumb son found that out when he was bad mouthing his bosses at Bunnings who called him into the office the following morning and fired him. Are people aware that windows has a back door, hence certain governments wont use it especially the Chinese
    I find it amazing that people think they wont get in to trouble posting things on facebook. My wifes employer has sacked several people for doing it, personally, I dont blame them. They have been warned numerous times.

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Good on the FBI. Heck, they must be getting bored. Not enough REAL work eh? "Oh, let's start poking around on FB and see who we can ping so we can justify our jobs".

I have various people badgering me to "go on Facebook" or "get a such-and-such account".

They don't understand why I REFUSE to be part of this BS.

I don't need (or want) to be on Facebook. I don't want to 'twitter' (that's for the birds).

Sorry Mr F.B.I man, but you're not going to learn ANYTHING about me... I'm not there.

Thanks

Hate to put on the tin foil hat in here but you are getting tracked in numerous other ways. Have a Safeway, Coles, Kmart, Target or other points earning card from any of those large companies? Wonder why you get a discount for going into these programs? So they know who you are, what you buy so they can target you with advertising and only an idiot would assume that that this information about your purchasing habits cant be flogged off to the higest bidder.

Targeted advertising is one thing, but selling off your info to insurance companies and stuff like that (its already suspected that the pinnacle of evil empires, US health insurers, are already in on it) is what really makes me fume.

**hat back on**

Thanks

My digital finger print is following me, & my shadow keeps look over my shoulder.

Only one of these two things, I can do something about.

I'm not going to bitch about things I can't change nor complain about any government invading my right to privacy, when I'm the D8ck head twitting.

But its good to see people thinking more & more about what is really going on, in this new world of 0&1's.

Keep in mind these are early days when we speak about the internet, like the wildwest days of America.

There is a lot more monitoring to come, in ways non of us can imagine.

Soon we will have world internet Police, paid for by countries.

Shame you need to watch your back on everything you do & say. Free speech is BullS*it just like father christmas.

I have my renovations if any person would ever post on face book or twitter there intentions to blow something up or to harm a person or rob a bank. before or after the act has been done.

With that said I can see justification why governments need to monitor Face book & Twitter, as this will give them a head start to solving a crime.

Thanks

Rather than thinking the big corps are tracking their employees on facebook - the more likely explanation is that either 1) the idiot making the rant about their workplace doesn't realise their privacy settings allow everyone to see exactly what they posted or 2) a friend at work who is also their "friend" on facebook tells the boss about the post or 3) even more hilarious idiot makes rant and their boss is actually a "friend" on facebook

dumb and dumber in other words
    rather than big corps spying on their staff through backdoors