Thread: UB Ant Stick isn't recognised in laptop with Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks

Default UB Ant Stick isn't recognised in laptop with Windows 7 64 bit

Hi all,
    Ok. This issue really has me stumped. I have no idea how to get this going. Here is a bit of background as to what this thing does.

I have a GPS watch (Garmin 405 Forerunner) which tracks my run when I go training. When I want to download the data into some software I have, it does this via a Garmin USB Ant Stick which is USB1. The Garmin USB Ant stick connects to my GPS watch wirelessly to get my running data.

The issue I’m having is that the Garmin USB Ant Stick isn’t recognised on my computer when I Plug it in. The computer it isn’t being recognised on is a Dell XPS L501X with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It has 2 x USB 3 ports.

I know the stick works because it works in my other laptop running windows 7 professional and it also works on my work computer which is a dell running Windows XP with SP3.
    I have followed the instructions to perfection and it still won’t work.

When I plug the Garmin Ant Stick into my Dell XPS laptop, I was expecting the normal when you plug in a USB device which it says “New device detected” and that its going to install the drivers etc etc. It does none of that. It just sits there.

I open up device manager and it’s not in there in any of the structures. All USB Drivers for the ports on my computer are installed correctly but for some reason it isn’t being recognised.

I started searching google with “Garmin ant stick not recognised in windows 7” and I have trawled through the internet with no luck. A lot of people have had the same issue and I have tried some of their fixes but I have been unsuccessful.

the only thing i can figure out from what i've been reading is that the USB3 port on the computer isn't compatible with the USB1 Ant Stick

I’ve run out of ideas as to what to do next.
    Has anybody got any ideas or experienced something similar?

thank you in advance
    Slick1
    Last edited by slick1; 03-02-12 at 09:30 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

ok.. problem solved. I connected a usb 2 hub to the usb 3 port on my laptop. When i done this, Windows 7 installed the drivers for the hub, then i plugged the USB1 Ant stick into the hub and it recognised it and installed the drivers.

All working good now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to slick1 For This Useful Post:

dashinson (05-02-12)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I thought from what little I have read that any USB 3 ports were 'Backwards' compatable.
    You dont say if the USB hub is powered or not.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I thought from what little I have read that any USB 3 ports were 'Backwards' compatable.
    You dont say if the USB hub is powered or not.
    USB 3.0 is backwards compatible, but the issue was the drivers for the stick weren't installed.

I suspect it wouldn't automatically pick it up with the 64 bit OS, but did with additional drivers installed for the external USB hub.

Thanks

I looked up the specs for his laptop and the usb 3 chip is a NEC/Renesas but i don't know what version controller it is. Check the link below.

The op can try them it has updated drivers and firmware. Some solve the compatibility problem. Don't be scared if you pick the wrong one it won't install and do no harm. Try the driver first.
    Last edited by joezep; 08-02-12 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks

@ Gordon,
    the usb hub isn't a powered hub. It's just a cheap one i picked up from woolies when doing the grocery shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    USB 3.0 is backwards compatible, but the issue was the drivers for the stick weren't installed.
    when I installed Ant Agent (Software for stick to communicate to watch) it asks you to insert the stick at a certain time so the drivers can be installed, but when the stick was plugged in, it just sat there. i uninstalled Ant Agent using Revo uninstaller (To ensure everything has been uninstalled)

When i installed Ant Agent again with the USB Hub in there, it asked me to plug the USB stick in at a certain time and it loaded the drivers without a problem. hasn't missed a beat since.

Thanks for your link Joezep. i wouldn't mind getting the stick going without the hub. Only because it should work without the USB hub.
    Last edited by slick1; 09-02-12 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks

Have you tried it directly in the usb port now that the hub allowed the drivers to install ?

Otherwise you will need to install the chipset drivers for that model laptop from Dell

and also any windows updates.

Hope that helps.

Loopyloo
    Last edited by loopyloo; 23-03-12 at 07:28 PM.