Thread: C band noob setup help

Thanks

Default C band noob setup help

Hello, I am trying to setup a new C band 2.3m rig with a strong L926 LNB. The problem is, the strongest signal I can only seem to achieve is SNR: 60%, AGC: 50% & BER: 0. I've been told that unlike Ku, C band really depends on the skew of the LNB. Do I need to spend time adjusting the LNB skew after I have the correct dish alignment? Could somebody please recommend a good satellite and transponder (QLD) for me to practice with. Also does mounting the feedhorn to the scalar need tuning? I don't understand the LNB box came with 3 screws and a piece of brown square plastic. What is the correct way to mount the feedhorn to the scalar?

Your friend Cunnamulla.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi,-
    1. What decoder brand and model?
    2. A motorised system desired, or 'fixed' on one sat?
    3. Any desired language service/channels?
    4. A clear view of the West-East Northern sky?

* The brown bit of plastic sound like it slides into the LNB for reception of circular polarised signals, example those on Intelsat 701. So keep it for future use.
    5th Wyking Panzer Division

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
    Hi,-
    1. What decoder brand and model?
    2. A motorised system desired, or 'fixed' on one sat?
    3. Any desired language service/channels?
    4. A clear view of the West-East Northern sky?

* The brown bit of plastic sound like it slides into the LNB for reception of circular polarised signals, example those on Intelsat 701. So keep it for future use.
    1. DM500
    2. Eventually it will be motorised but as a beginner i'm starting on a fixed sat.
    3. Not really as long as I know how to achieve pics.
    4. Unfortunately a few high trees and a high level mountain in the distance. I was having a go with AsiaSat3s but it has a tree in the way about 50m away. Telstar18 seems a clear view.

I have tried pointing at a few different birds but can never lock onto a transponder. So I believe just aligning the dish is not enough. I'm thinking there is more to do with the LNB rather than dish or decoder.......

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Hey Cunnamulla,
    Not the best box to search and start with although it should work (but they can be a bit temperamental for searching signals) better of with a Humax or Strong.
    Skew is just as important on C band as it is on Ku band.

Thanks

Well guys just when I was about the give up on this large piece of junk, its come through and i've picked up Chinasat 6B (by accident). I don't think scalar/skew tuning is really that important. I kept tuning to the wrong bird.

This maybe a dreambox thing, but when I was trying to tune to Asiasat3s I was actually by accident tuning to Chinasat6B. Its probably easy to do because they both transmit on same frequencies and are fairly close together. I guess the only way to eliminate this problem is to start tuning on a frequency that is exclusive to that satellite.

The next step is to motorise.... Is their any guides or tutorials available?