Thread: 1st MythTV Setup

Thanks

Default 1st MythTV Setup

Hi guys I currently have a foxtel hd box which is still under subscription, it is connected via cable and I am looking to setup mythtv on a linux box, preferably on Debian Sid or earlier OS (just because I know more about Debian setup).

this will be my first attempt, and after reading a few posts in this forum I do believe its possible so my question is that I am looking for a good guide which I can follow to accomplish this.

My parents currently have one of them dream box 500s or c and they pickup heaps of channels from all around the world including foxtel. but they paid a fair bit for it, I am hoping to get this done but on mythtv and without a dream box.

just to add this probably mean nothing, but if it helps in anyway I also have a ubi box with a card. but it is not connected, it was given to me when my mate disconnected his service with them.

Thanks in Advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

due to foxtel (nds) card & encryption algorithm changes the only way your going to get foxtel on your MythTV box is:

- a valid foxtel subscription
    - the original provider box
    - mythtv with a capture card (composite, component, or if you have a big wallet DVI/HDMI capture card)
    - an IR Blaster to change channels on the providers box

or a pirate irdeto2 (austar card) rdc etc

or a card sharing server which is sharing the above pirate card...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I would suggest you use mythbuntu. Their website should provide installation docs. I have been using mythdora for a number of years.

I'd suggest it is worthwhile for you to set up myth using a capture card and ir blaster connected to your foxtel box, as this may be the only solution for getting foxtel content off the closed foxtel box in the not too distant future. A Foxtel card will simply not work outside of a Foxtel box. An Austar one might for a while longer but it is simply not worth the trouble at the moment.

Good luck.

Thanks

I am currently setting up an old PC and when I am done, I will be installing mythbuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64, I noticed one thing though and not sure if it will be a problem. my tv card only has your basic air antenna, fm and cable sockets, but the cable socket just looks like the air antenna socket,(like the female socket you would connect the old antennas to, before digital came out.

its a dvt2000 and I bought it about 7yrs ago, will this be a problem.

Because the picture in my head is that after setup, I will be connecting the tv card to the cable socket in the wall right?
    Last edited by huss; 05-02-12 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks

Because the picture in my head is that after setup, I will be connecting the tv card to the cable socket in the wall right?
    DVB-T - Terrestrial Digital TV (FTA via uhf/vhf antenna)
    DVB-C - Digital Cable TV (Foxtel/Telstra via coax cable etc)
    DVB-S/S2 - Digital Satellite TV (Foxtel/Austar/FTA via satellite dish)

your card if its a Leadtek DVT-2000 is a dual DVB-T Digital TV & Analog capture card

if you mean you will connect the antenna input on the TV card to the FTA antenna socket in the wall then you will get all the FTA channels

if on the other hand you mean to connect the antenna input on the TV card to your foxtel cable tv f connector then its not going to work

the DVB-T and DVB-C use different modulation and frequencies and are not compatible with each other

you'll need a DVB-C card for your PC which still won't give you any pictures due to the encryption changes -the foxtel card won't work in anything other than the providers own box

the only way is to use the composite input (svhs or similar socket) of your TV card and plug that into the fox box AV outputs - use an IR blaster for MythTV to change channels on the box...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mysterex For This Useful Post:

huss (06-02-12)

Thanks

I have hit a brick wall, the pc's I had wanted to try install mythbuntu on, but the pc just wont handle the install. I have a dual core pc, with 4GB ram winfast Leadtek DVT-2000 H (same one you mentioned) and 250GB hdd, including a decent gforce nivada graphics card, (cant remember name but it is good enough. 3D capabilities etc). anyways my pc just hangs during install (so frustrating)
    Now I need a new desktop and I have decided to buy a pc, but dont want to spend more the about 6 or $700, since i Only need the tower (no monitor, keyboard etc & can use some parts from my pc). is there a section in this forum that will help me build a pc with all the right tools I need.

Also sorry guys I am not experienced enough (YET) to understand what you are advising me. I will have to do some research to get a better understanding specially regarding the parts, but shouldnt be hard. So if i mention something and it is way off, please be patient

but I know once I have the parts in front of me, it will be straight forward.

1 question, after looking at mythbuntu, I think its similare to my parents one in a way. am I right the back end will be the pc that receives the media, and the front end is what you will use to watch. (ie; maybe a setop box or another pc) thats if I dont one bck/frnt on the same pc.

see my parent have it setup, now the guy that supplies them, has a server at home, which I think is the back end, every yr if you dont pay he can disconnect you from his server and you lose the channels. if I can do this, and just completely forget about foxtel subscription, then ideally that is what I want. only dif is he uses a dish on the roof, and the dreambox has no card, when you load the dreambox firefox starts up & it connects to the router (but must admit his service is crap, we can never watch a full show, without glitches and screen freeze)

I can get a dish if needed but would rather setup via cable if possible.
    Last edited by huss; 06-02-12 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks

mythbuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64
    my pc just hangs during install (so frustrating)
    your hardware will be fine its a known mythbuntu installer issue on 10.10 64bit that it hangs sometimes - try using a later version 11.04 or 11.10 and if the 64 bit version still hangs try the 32 bit version...

or try an alternate install livecd version - or install from a USB stick rather than cd

also make sure you use lowercase with no capitals when typing in username at beginning of setup...
    Last edited by Mysterex; 06-02-12 at 01:55 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mysterex For This Useful Post:

huss (06-02-12)

Thanks

That might be my problem, I most certainly used a few capitals in my name. (just a habit)

though I did try installing via usb and livecd but both were the same older version. I will retry tonight with the new version tonight & see how i go.