Thread: How to replace new remote control for home alarm system?

Thanks

Smile How to replace new remote control for home alarm system?

Hello Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I bought a house that has this alarm system installed:

DAS LCD Code Pad - NX-148E
    LCD Code Pad - DIRECT ALARM SUPPLIES

The previous owners didn't have any remote control. I really want to buy new remote controls and make them work with current system. but I don't know how to start.

THANK YOU!

Van Nguyen

Look Here ->

Thanks

You need a receiver, remotes and the installer code. With after market remotes it's simply a matter of connecting the receiver to the bus then force enrolling all bus devices for which you'll require the installer code. For ITI remotes, the process is far more complicated.

In eithe case, unless you know precisely what buttons to push once you're in program mode and how to interpret what the keypads telling you, you're out of your depth and should be enlisting the help of a professional.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

TheAlarmGuy (09-02-12),van.nguyen (09-02-12)

Thanks

Thank Drift,

I watched some youtube video and saw that the original system could contain remote controls in the package. So I guess the system might have the receiver built-in. In case it does not, could you please advise me which one I can buy.

I have downloaded the manual and installation guide of the LCD Code Pad - NX-148E and I believe i can do it myself following the instruction. I think I can do it myself as soon as the devices you advice me to buy have the instruction with them.

In case it's quite complicated, could you lease point me to some website or resource that has information abt these stuff?

Thank you very much.

Thanks

Hi Van,

As Drift has stated in his post, you will require the Tech code.

The NX doesn't have a built in receiver, it is an additional module that attaches to the system, so if you open the panel up and dont see any aerials then YOU NEED A EXPERIENCED TECHNICIAN! no ifs, no buts, no youtube videos will help you avoid this.

Many a Thread has been started with this statement "I have downloaded the manual and installation guide of the LCD Code Pad - NX-148E and I believe i can do it myself following the instruction." and a suitably experienced Technician always ends up doing the work with minimal fuss.

• The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlarmGuy For This Useful Post:

van.nguyen (09-02-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just rember TheAlarmGuy, many techs have been paid more than the minimum to fix up DIY's, rember at one stage we all were Noobs, its his alarm system and he can break it how he wants.

van.nguyen, ring a supplier etc source parts and give it a go, you will need the INSTALLER code. and if you cant find it ring the last company who serviced it and pry it from there hands, i look at it this way its a small computer to be fair and if the service company wont hand over the relivant info i see it as denal of service.

failing that ask a freind of a mate who lives round the corner from a guy who knows a guy and bribe him with beer.

Two Thumbs up to giving it a go.

• The Following User Says Thank You to phantomdb For This Useful Post:

van.nguyen (09-02-12)

Thanks

I can't offer specific information on your panel, but if you're in posession of the equipment and have access to all the relevant manuals, give it a go. Many of the people you might potentially hire to do this have no more training than you on this specific equipment, just some experience with the terminology and if you're lucky they might have done the same thing previously.

Just be sure you record in intricate detail any changes made to hardware or more importantly, information altered via program changes at the panel (or attempted changes for that matter), in case it doesn't go well and you end up hiring somebody to do it. This could save the guy valuable time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to McQueen For This Useful Post:

van.nguyen (10-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
    I can't offer specific information on your panel, but if you're in posession of the equipment and have access to all the relevant manuals, give it a go. Many of the people you might potentially hire to do this have no more training than you on this specific equipment, just some experience with the terminology and if you're lucky they might have done the same thing previously.

Just be sure you record in intricate detail any changes made to hardware or more importantly, information altered via program changes at the panel (or attempted changes for that matter), in case it doesn't go well and you end up hiring somebody to do it. This could save the guy valuable time.

I had quite a large rant typed out in response but thought better of it so I offer this shortened version instead.

In response to the phantomdb, most suppliers wont sell to the general public in the interests of protecting their brands reputation and keeping on side with their clients.

As for McQueen, don't tar the whole industry with the same brush. There are plenty of us that have spent our entire working lives in the industry offering professional and honest service to clients at a fair price. IE: We wont rock up to any old panel and say "She'll be right mate I'll just sus it out for you"

As for your next point about recording changes, the point is moot when the individual making the changes hasn't the experience to know what they're actually changing. With the panel in question, anyone worth their salt would default the panel and reprogram it from scratch rather than fart about trying to figure out what's been changed.

We can all get cynical at times but don't forget that bad news travels faster than good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by van.nguyen View Post
    Thank Drift,

I have downloaded the manual and installation guide of the LCD Code Pad - NX-148E and I believe i can do it myself following the instruction. I think I can do it myself as soon as the devices you advice me to buy have the instruction with them.
    Classic uninformed noob error 101

The NX-148E is your codepad and NOT your Alarm Panel.

I cant see how a codepad manual going to help you. Find what type of panel you got, make sure you got the installer code.

Then look at the instructions for the remotes that you buy and then look at the bottom of page 21 of the Proper Installation Manual on how to enrol modules.

Hint: S1890A is the part number of the Receiver and 2 Remote Fobs of a very simple and easy remote kit for under $150 for your alarm panel.
    Last edited by bet2win; 10-02-12 at 12:26 AM. Reason: fix spelling mistake unlike surfertech

• The Following User Says Thank You to bet2win For This Useful Post:

van.nguyen (10-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    I had quite a large rant typed out in response but thought better of it so I offer this shortened version instead.

In response to the phantomdb, most suppliers wont sell to the general public in the interests of protecting their brands reputation and keeping on side with their clients.

As for McQueen, don't tar the whole industry with the same brush. There are plenty of us that have spent our entire working lives in the industry
    (Noting the post to this thread is within minutes of being called on a foolish post in another). Hey matey that sounds very impressive, but since your "entire working life" appears to be few years or so based on posted material, we'll get back to you in due course son. In the meantime I'd suggest to van.nguyyen to study the relevant manuals, as this stuff is is clearly not rocket science as you can see, and is more a case of retaining proprietary information. If you have to resort to calling some "professional" in, here's the fun part - ask for a copy of their training accreditation applicable to your equipment. The responses may be somewhat frightening.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
    (If you have to resort to calling some "professional" in, here's the fun part - ask for a copy of their training accreditation applicable to your equipment. The responses may be somewhat frightening.
    McQueen,

It sounds like you're not in this industry at all. Training accreditation for an NX panel is a 4 hour course where DAS show you how to wire up a panel, navigate the keypad and enter in basic programming commands. These are first week of apprenticeship/traineeship type of learning. They also provide you with Tea and Biscuits..

The real knowledge that a Security Professional has is obtained from years of on the job experiences, reading that manual over and over, having a Senior, more experienced Technician assist you on the more complex jobs.

While our Industry may not seem to be rocket science to you (I'm guessing you're in IT or one of that type of "technical" industries), to the average Joe having a play with their system they can severely screw things up, there's a reason why we do the training and get the experience with these systems before attempting to work on them ourselves.

As for when we attend newer systems that we dont know, since we are experienced on other systems and most systems are alike when it comes to terminology, when we read a manual we actually understand (on the most part) what is written in them... the average home user does not understand this terminology!

So in summary, a 4 hour training course and a piece of paper does not make competent technician, it is the years of on the job training that makes a Security Professional!

And if you would like to bring my technical knowledge and experience into question i'll help you out...

Been a Security Technician since 1998... Never completed a NX, Solution, Ness, DSC or MCM course but I could perform installation, fault finding and programming on any of them with my eyes closed.

Thats just my domestic panel knowledge would you like me to add in my commercial panels I have never had formal training for but can still breeze through?

Thanks

I smell troll.

Thanks

Van.Nyugen, take the advise of some of the more experienced guys - fork out a couple of hundred dollars and they will have it working for you in an hour. If you are not familiar with alarms you will spend hours mucking around with it yourself, and maybe still not get it right, or worse.

If you want to do some amateur stuff, I'm sure you can get an old panel for a few dollars and you can play with it in your shed. If you are going to use the alarm to provide your home with a system, spend the dosh and get it done right.

As a monitoring centre operator, it never ceases to amaze me how many people try to program their own panels. not just to work as a stand alone system but monitored. "Got our own tech thanks. Just give us the receiver numbers and account code/subscriber number we'll be right."
    Just the other day had the client's CARPENTER try and commission an alarm. Not only did he not get the thing working sending all sorts of orphan signals (ie sent to receiver but to unknown account code), but because he was such a rude pr#ck he got no help from us. Long story short - a tech will come out next week, spend <1hr on site and will get alarm going.

• The Following User Says Thank You to sixfourzero For This Useful Post:

van.nguyen (13-02-12)

• 05-08-13, 03:19 PM