Thread: Cricket in HD

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Default Cricket in HD

What the hell is wrong with channel 9?

They are currently showing India vs Sri Lanka on HD, yet the games involving Australia are presented in pathetic SD. Go figure
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i dont know which ch9 you were watching but there was no cricket of any sort on mine in melb!!!
    Self declared soccer nut

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_2045.jpg

Thanks

CH90 GEM that's where it was and India won. I'm from Melb.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You gotto looking now as 7/Prime whatever played silly buggers during the tennis by utilising one of the digital channels when the local area news came on in regional areas.
    Failing that of course there are any number of program guides availabe to see what is showing where and when, its all out there.

TVguy, they needed the HDD picture to ensure that the Indian audience could read the advertisments for that 'Chandri Mouth Wash' written in Sanscript around the boundry fence.
    We only need SD here as they use BIG letters for the Beer ads like XXXX.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 09-02-12 at 10:06 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Aurora8 (19-03-12),mkhannah (09-02-12),TVguy (09-02-12)

Thanks

I don't think the current anti-siphoning rules are helping the HD cause.

For events on the anti-siphoning list (eg, one day cricket featuring Australia, in Australia) the broadcaster must use their main channel. If they wish, they can simulcast it on any sub-channel.

Some rule was relaxed for the Australian Open to allow the use of 7TWO. I think a similar relaxation will allow AFL to be broadcast on 7MATE for some locales this year.

I'm sure the most recent draft of the legislation is designed to recognise sub-channels, but it hasn't been put to parliment yet.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manian View Post
    I don't think the current anti-siphoning rules are helping the HD cause.

For events on the anti-siphoning list (eg, one day cricket featuring Australia, in Australia) the broadcaster must use their main channel. If they wish, they can simulcast it on any sub-channel.

Some rule was relaxed for the Australian Open to allow the use of 7TWO. I think a similar relaxation will allow AFL to be broadcast on 7MATE for some locales this year.

I'm sure the most recent draft of the legislation is designed to recognise sub-channels, but it hasn't been put to parliment yet.
    I must be missing the point of having these so called 'Sub Channels' if they cant be used to broadcast programs as the broadcasters sees fit.
    Does it matter what 'Main' or Sub-channel' its on so long as its properly advertised?
    At the moment with many areas being upgraded to receive the additional 'sub-channels' it makes sense to have major events on the Main Channel where the sub-channels dont exist but only untill the changeover is complete.
    Its not a perfect solution as some will have to miss something but its better than nothing.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Gordon,

It's a stupid carry-over of legislation that main programming should be on the networks' SD channel, for those who don't have an HD tuner.

Networks are permitted to simulcast that program on their HD channel (in HD) for those with an HD tuner to watch it in higher resolution.

It's still messy how networks get around this silly rule, as most people now have access to the HD channels.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Gordon,

It's a stupid carry-over of legislation that main programming should be on the networks' SD channel, for those who don't have an HD tuner.

Networks are permitted to simulcast that program on their HD channel (in HD) for those with an HD tuner to watch it in higher resolution.
    If the networks are permitted to simulcast in HD why don't they for major sporting events? For example the final game of the NSW vs Queensland State of Origin Rugby League game (one of the highest rating events of the year) was only broadcast in SD. My memory could be wrong, but I think "I dream of Jeannie" was showing on GEM at the time. The amount of grief I cop daily with people buying 55" plus panels who are dissappointed with FTA picture quality is making me thinking of "going postal".
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cro69 View Post
    i dont know which ch9 you were watching but there was no cricket of any sort on mine in melb!!!
    It was on GEM TV not ch 9 but as so many adverts I switched to Sky Sports HD from the UK with no adverts.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    If the networks are permitted to simulcast in HD why don't they for major sporting events? For example the final game of the NSW vs Queensland State of Origin Rugby League game (one of the highest rating events of the year) was only broadcast in SD. My memory could be wrong, but I think "I dream of Jeannie" was showing on GEM at the time.
    I don't get it either. It drives me wild. The other night when the news came on during a test match I switched to GEM and the the picture was incredible. Then back on SD it was woeful.

I don't understand why they won't simulcast it either. Who the hell watches I dream of genie etc?

With the NRL season coming up it'd be nice to watch the Fri and Sun games in full HD.

Does anyone know when and if there is a cut off when the networks can show HD on the main channels?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    If the networks are permitted to simulcast in HD why don't they for major sporting events?
    Because they can show extra programs and theoretically reach more viewers with the alternate programming on GEM in addition to the main channel broadcast of the event.
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?".

Member 23402 - an asset of NSW.

Thanks

I have been going on about this ever since nine started calling the HD channel Gem.
    They and Harvey Norman promoted 3D sport in HD and for the last two seasons not even State of origin or GF is in HD.
    I was told that sport watchers were in the minority.
    I would have thought that your HD channel would be your main channel.
    Screw those who still watch crt sets and can’t afford $20 stb. Can’t wait till analogue is dead.
    Until then I have deleted channel nine from my scanned programs in protest. It is much better waiting 2 hrs and watching it in HD on Fox.

• The Following User Says Thank You to adams For This Useful Post:

weirdo (22-03-12)