Thread: Web hosting provider in Australia

Thanks

Default Web hosting provider in Australia

Hi guys

I currently have a website hosted in the US (using "Cheapnames" which I think is a GoDaddy reseller) and the date/time stamps are based on the local server time which is 18 hours behind. The timestamp is important for me as users need to submit their details by a cutoff day/time.

I've been running part of the site on my home server, with a forum on the hosted server. Eventually, I would like to move all of the site to the hosted server.

As it's a Windows-based site (using ASP) on shared hosting package, I don't believe it's possible to change the server time. It's only a small site for 200 users, so my hosting budget is very low (max $100 per year). For the limited use it has, I can't justify the cost of a dedicated server which would allow me to change the server time zone.

Due to this, I thought I would look at moving the hosting to an Australian-based company (preferably in NSW where I am located). My contract with Cheapnames finishes in May, so I have a fair amount of time to sort this out.

Now I know I could change all my code to incorporate server time +18 hours, but I was hoping to avoid that plus maybe improve the site speed (all users are in Australia as well).

Can anyone suggest a local "budget" web hosting company that might do the trick?

Alternatively, are the any ASP gurus out there that could suggest a way to trick the server into using AEDT time? I've read this is easy with a linux-based site through the php.ini or .htaccess configuration files but is there an ASP equivalent that I could put in the root folder of my site?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

You get what you pay for with hosting

In Australia I wouldn't go past 2000cn.com.au

Only have positive things to say!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urban_s0ulja For This Useful Post:

AussieM8 (10-02-12),cwispy (13-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urban_s0ulja View Post
    You get what you pay for with hosting

In Australia I wouldn't go past 2000cn.com.au

Only have positive things to say!
    Thanks buddy - I'll take a look.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

webcity & crazy domains are aussie, i think
    about 3-5 $ month
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Just as a thought, with some minor coding surely you could store time offset to a memory variable and then manipulate the local time with a simple formula eg Server time + offset = local time. Then you'd only ever need to modify one item, offset, whenever you move servers, as all code would refer back to that point. I don't program PHP or any web based code so am unsure of the exact syntax.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AussieM8 View Post
    Hi guys

I currently have a website hosted in the US (using "Cheapnames" which I think is a GoDaddy reseller) and the date/time stamps are based on the local server time which is 18 hours behind. The timestamp is important for me as users need to submit their details by a cutoff day/time.

I've been running part of the site on my home server, with a forum on the hosted server. Eventually, I would like to move all of the site to the hosted server.

As it's a Windows-based site (using ASP) on shared hosting package, I don't believe it's possible to change the server time. It's only a small site for 200 users, so my hosting budget is very low (max $100 per year). For the limited use it has, I can't justify the cost of a dedicated server which would allow me to change the server time zone.

Due to this, I thought I would look at moving the hosting to an Australian-based company (preferably in NSW where I am located). My contract with Cheapnames finishes in May, so I have a fair amount of time to sort this out.

Now I know I could change all my code to incorporate server time +18 hours, but I was hoping to avoid that plus maybe improve the site speed (all users are in Australia as well).

Can anyone suggest a local "budget" web hosting company that might do the trick?

Alternatively, are the any ASP gurus out there that could suggest a way to trick the server into using AEDT time? I've read this is easy with a linux-based site through the php.ini or .htaccess configuration files but is there an ASP equivalent that I could put in the root folder of my site?
    Drop me a line or give me a call if you would like to discuss this further, I am sure we can come up with something for you.

Edit: As to the local time issue, this may help.
    Last edited by cwispy; 13-02-12 at 04:23 PM.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

• The Following User Says Thank You to cwispy For This Useful Post:

AussieM8 (14-02-12)

Thanks

Thanks guys.

Ended up going that way lsemmens and recoded with an +18 time offset. Seems to be working fine at the moment. I had a mix of now() and date() and managed to search and replace to change the code throughout the entire site.

Appreciate everyone's help on this issue.

PS - I do have another annoying problem with the way IE and firefox are rendering a page, but will post in a separate thread.

Thanks

check out Rimits.com.au i personally like it

Thanks

Thanks mate - had a quick look and the pricing is pretty good.

Is their support for hosting OK?