Thread: Questions about Adobe Flash Player and tablets

Thanks

Default Questions about Adobe Flash Player and tablets

I've had an IPad2 for a couple months now, but discovered that unfortunately it's not a complete substitute for a laptop or PC. My main problem is that there's heaps of stuff that you need to install Adobe Flash Player to use, but the IPad2 does not support Adobe Flash Player. The other thing...there's a tonne of apps that I want to download that are only viable with android.

Anyway here's my dilemma. Should I buy a different tablet such as the Samsung Galaxy, or just get a MacBook Pro? Do any of the other tablets such as Samsung Galaxy support Adobe Flash Player? Does the MacBook Pro support adobe flash player, or the Ipad3 (when it's released)?

Also, the only way to be able to use android compatible apps is by purchasing a Samsung galaxy tablet - is that correct?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

android uses adobe flash player 11 I think as an app you DL but it runs all the time. medium to high end tablets will have no worries using it.
    You do not need a Samsung Galaxy , you can use many brands, you have acer iconia (I have one of these) you have Motorola xoom, samsung tab, asus, sony, toshiba there are plenty around

Thanks

I've just recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab - Love it. I don't think the default browser that comes with Honeycomb supports Flash, But I've installed another browser and it works fine...
    “There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary – and those who don’t”

• The Following User Says Thank You to GavinSV For This Useful Post:

mutanti (12-02-12)

Thanks

Flash is virtually dead - its slowly being replaced by html5 etc due to Adobes inability to make flash stable in all environments (its well known as a buggy cpu/memory resource hog)

Adobe themselves have also stopped support for *all* mobile devices in the future because they cant get it working reliably on low RAM/CPU power devices so they gave up (which is why apple never supported them at all for their mobile stuff) Even the new chrome mobile webbrowser never had support for flash (why support a redundant buggy dying system?)

Give it a few years - you wont see it anymore, even big famous flash based websites like youtube now use html5 as a alternative - and flash is now seemingly only a favourite of the popup advertisers (which is actually a reason not to install it?)

Feel free to google it all up - Its not a secret by any means but I will leave you with a direct quote from Adobe - Currently android still can use it but Im sure that will change in the next couple of models also to be honest (nobody is sticking with flash - they are all dumping it like a hot potato and even Adobe is giving up on it really)

"Adobe is no longer developing Flash Player for mobile browsers, and thus Chrome for Android Beta does not support Flash content. Flash Player continues to be supported within the current Android browser."

Some food for thought anyway - I wouldnt base my phone purchasing decision solely based on support for a definatly redundant and dying system

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prawns For This Useful Post:

dgb (09-05-12),Uncle Fester (16-02-12)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Flash dead, good riddance.
    Unfortunately many live stream TV services still require it.

I could not get it to work in any of my three Android devices although they all have a Flash plug in installed.
    The minute you have Flash installed it is already out dated and the Android firmware on my devices
    does not accept Flash upgrades.

But really, without Flash web browsing is much smoother, Flash content is generally useless junk and serious sites have a non flash version.
    HMTL5 really rocks, superb quality, no messy plug ins and runs on low end devices.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Default iPad2 and Flash (Yes you can !)

[QUOTE=moronic_idiot;465538]I've had an IPad2 for a couple months now, but discovered that unfortunately it's not a complete substitute for a laptop or PC. My main problem is that there's heaps of stuff that you need to install Adobe Flash Player to use, but the IPad2 does not support Adobe Flash Player.

There is a really neat and very useful Browser for the iPad2 called "Photon"
    it is a very nice app and works extremely well for the Flash sites....I installed it and have had not one single site fail to play flawlessly....I'm in no way connected to the app or it's developer, just trying to help you out....
    It's available here: for $4 and well worth the cash as I have tried many and all failed to work except this one... Hope that helps mate....Dave

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VA7DB For This Useful Post:

prawns (26-02-12)

Thanks

Photon works by redirecting through a 3rd party server that relays what you want to you - apparently doesnt work so well on anything less than WIFI (3g is too slow really according to the makers themselves) and as the servers are USA based so you might experience a bit of lag ontop of that being in australia i guess (not good reports from aussie users in the reviews, but the alternative is having nothing so....)

Looks like a nice way to skirt the flash issue though - Be aware of any personal info you redirect through 3rd party servers as well though - maybe read their privacy policy first and make sure your happy.

Works on iphones as well apparently - Nice find
    Last edited by prawns; 26-02-12 at 11:01 AM.