Thread: Hello - Additional STB?

Thanks

Default Hello - Additional STB?

Hey all,
    I am in process of making another room out the back and was keen on putting Foxtel out there aswell. I have Satelitte foxtel digital..
    I believe I need a decoder?
    What kind of pricing and complexity am I looking at ?
    Any recommendations and/or tutorials?

And how legal is it?
    Can get the coax (or whatever is needed to be run) when I get the electrician to do the other stuff in a couple of weeks..

Appreciate any help.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I'm also keen on putting a media center in with my existing PC and buying a new one (adding tuner cards).. would this help the scenario at all?
    And any advice on a media center aswell?? I'm about to buy a new antenna solely for this new room so I have great signal for normal telly (or can I get all that through foxtel)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foordy View Post
    Hey all,
    I am in process of making another room out the back and was keen on putting Foxtel out there aswell. I have Satelitte foxtel digital..
    I believe I need a decoder?
    What kind of pricing and complexity am I looking at ?
    Any recommendations and/or tutorials?

And how legal is it?
    Can get the coax (or whatever is needed to be run) when I get the electrician to do the other stuff in a couple of weeks..

Appreciate any help.
    Possibly too many variables to answer in short Foordy, what do you want to do exactly. Watch at same time on different channels or what. Fox will install additional box for $200 (I think) plus $20 extra per month for additional stb and card (not sure about lnb). Other options are installing dual lnb and running new cable to extension and using 3rd party box (such as Dreambox) and using original card in 3rd party box (or csing).

As I said, more detail required as to likely viewing habits etc.

Cheers

Thanks

Well... I guess a media PC with tv tuner card/s would be the lines I'm looking down, but at the same time I don't know if there's a better option.
    Foxtels $200 and $20 a month option isn't ideal, I'd rather no additional monthly fees.

I'm not fussed if I can or can't record one foxtel program and watch another at same time, so long as I can have different channels to what's being watched inside. I am guessing this dreambox thing can do this?
    I think Foxtel has its own HD ABC/Seven/Ten etc, so an aerial on my outside room probably wouldn't be required would it?

I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to this.. I hope that's enough detail.
    Feel free to ask any questions

Thanks

to do two different channels at once, you would need two Foxtel decoders, no two ways about it.

Thanks

I meant a different channel then the channel inside on the original foxel box.
    So I'm presuming one extra decoder for the extra room.. ?

Thanks

Well... I guess a media PC with tv tuner card/s would be the lines I'm looking down, but at the same time I don't know if there's a better option.
    Foxtels $200 and $20 a month option isn't ideal, I'd rather no additional monthly fees.

I'm not fussed if I can or can't record one foxtel program and watch another at same time, so long as I can have different channels to what's being watched inside. I am guessing this dreambox thing can do this?
    I think Foxtel has its own HD ABC/Seven/Ten etc, so an aerial on my outside room probably wouldn't be required would it?

I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to this.. I hope that's enough detail.
    Feel free to ask any questions
    you will need another foxtel box $200.00 install and $20-$30 per month ect extra from orginal bill ect. Now the hd are you talking about new hd boxes or current fta channels they have

Thanks

I meant a different channel then the channel inside on the original foxel box.
    So I'm presuming one extra decoder for the extra room.. ?
    correct.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by melba View Post
    you will need another foxtel box $200.00 install and $20-$30 per month ect extra from orginal bill ect. Now the hd are you talking about new hd boxes or current fta channels they have
    But from what I read, doesn't a Dreambox or alike do the same thing as the original Foxtel STB, but with a one-off purchase???

Thanks

But from what I read, doesn't a Dreambox or alike do the same thing as the original Foxtel STB, but with a one-off purchase???
    unless you want a have two dreamboxes to do card sharing, you will need a legitimate subscriber card in each set top box (be it Foxtel or Dreambox) in order for them to work correctly.

Thanks

Can't clone the cards? Hmm, no other options?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Can't clone the cards? Hmm, no other options?
    No, you can't clone a Foxtel card, but you can share one card between two Dreamboxes, even Relooks. But you would be far better off forking out the cash to have a 2nd Foxtel box than stuffing around with after-market boxes which in reality don't offer the same services as a Foxtel box does (phone line movie ordering, interactive 'press red' services and 7 day guides are not a standard feature of after market boxes.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    No, you can't clone a Foxtel card, but you can share one card between two Dreamboxes, even Relooks. But you would be far better off forking out the cash to have a 2nd Foxtel box than stuffing around with after-market boxes which in reality don't offer the same services as a Foxtel box does (phone line movie ordering, interactive 'press red' services and 7 day guides are not a standard feature of after market boxes.)
    Exactly. Just get a second box for $20. Unless you want to outlay lots of money to become a satellite enthusiast.

I own at least 10 satellite receivers and have for about 8 years after developing an interest , numerous LNB's , have satellite points installed to 7 outlets in the house and have the entire house hardwired in Cat5 for network. Thats the sort of stuff you need if you want to play with Dreamboxes etc.

It makes your extra $20 sound very cheap

Your other option involves purchasing 2 x Dreamboxes and networking both of them through walls to your modem/router. Then you will need to sit down in the Dreambox forum and do about 7 days of reading to work out how the hell to get them talking

Thanks

That's a great response, great that it's clearer..
    Can share dreambox's, but can't share a foxtel and a dreambox, gotcha..

Ok I hear it's quite easy to have the same channel as one STB in another room, but of course the other room just can't change the channel... ?

Any recommended tv tuner card/s? Or which forum do I post in regarding that and a media center?