Thread: Can I change region reception?

Thanks

Default Can I change region reception?

I have now successfully installed VAST at home following advice from this forum, so many thanks to all. OK, there's not much on I want to watch, but at least I can see the programmes as their makers intended, rather than through a snowdrift in a storm of static. And I can fast forward through all those dreadful advertisements. . .

However (there's always a 'but'), I now get Melbourne news & programming on various TV stations. Since I'm in rural NSW, much nearer to Sydney, how can I change the regional transmissions I receive? Or can't I?

I've found the regional news on channel 9, WIN, under the 400 series channels. It's the 7 & ONE network programming I'm mainly looking for. It's titled 'central' but is really Melbourne.

Cheers

Bruce

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

[QUOTE=BeragooBruce;466681]I have now successfully installed VAST at home following advice from this forum, so many thanks to all. OK, there's not much on I want to watch, but at least I can see the programmes as their makers intended, rather than through a snowdrift in a storm of static. And I can fast forward through all those dreadful advertisements. . .

However (there's always a 'but'), I now get Melbourne news & programming on various TV stations. Since I'm in rural NSW, much nearer to Sydney, how can I change the regional transmissions I receive? Or can't I?

I've found the regional news on channel 9, WIN, under the 400 series channels. It's the 7 & ONE network programming I'm mainly looking for. It's titled 'central' but is really Melbourne.

Cheers
    Annoying isnt it Bruce, I am the same as you and I am not thrilled to see that 10 carries Melbourne''s News at 5pm rather than Sydney.
    This also happens on weekends when AFL 'Headbashers talk fests' replace other programs more NSW oriented
    Unfortunalelty there is no other 'region' we can select to get the programs to match the Terrestial channels
    Because all of NSW hasnt 'changed over' untill the end of this year, maybe things will alter regarding certain programming.
    At least I hope so.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

For Vast Eastern Service

All the regional Channel News Services are there in the 400's channels

WIN & NBN are the regional (channel 9) News services

Prime, & 7 QLD are the regional (channel 7) news services

Southern Cross (SC) are regional channel 7 in some areas, & also Regional channel 10

Just find the ones for your local area

The ABC & SBS should be correct for your local state on channels 2, 22, 23, 24, 3, 30, 32

For the Commercial channels on Channel 7, 9, & 10,the news services cannot be changed......

& are either from Melbourne or Sydney for Vast East South, & I think from Brisbane for Vast East North

As for Sport, I am not sure, but I think there may be a difference in Programming between Vast East South, & Vast East North

one Favoring AFL & the other Favoring NRL....etc ? , but you cannot change this,
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 17-02-12 at 09:19 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

OK, thanks guys. Looks like I'll just have to learn to like Melbourne news. I was sorry to have been unable to record Mick Doohan doing his thing at Jerez in the Moto GP last night by way of a trial on my shiny new - and very expensive - PVR setup, though. Better not apply to F1 or I'll be really cross.

Bruce

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Don't worry Bruce you will get the Formula 1 & MotoGP live when the season starts. Watched every one of them last year on VAST.

So unless things change, it should all be there on 1.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

BeragooBruce (18-02-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

Apparently they have drawn a line across NSW from Sydney to Broken Hill and everything BELOW that line is now the 'NEW VICTORIA', I have no idea what above that line will be called when it goes into the 'Changeover' after July this year.
    Its got me wondering what programs will appear in those areas currently regarded as 'Metropolitan' will be when its their turn to get access to VAST.
    Last year on Saturday afternoons, instead of Mike Whitneys 'Sydney Weekender' we got a group of VFL boofheads sitting around pontificating about weekend matches being played in places with people we had never heard of and hopefully never will.
    I am sure Victorians would be equally disinterested in listening to our NFL boofheads babbling on about their prowess and comming matches.
    Osirus,
    On ch 420 at 7pm the Prime7 news emanating from Orange is replayed and again later that night but I want MY Capitol City news and thats not there !!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-02-12 at 07:45 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Apparently they have drawn a line across NSW from Sydney to Broken Hill and everything BELOW that line is now the 'NEW VICTORIA',
    Osirus,
    On ch 420 at 7pm the Prime7 news emanating from Orange is replayed and again later that night but I want MY Capitol City news and thats not there !!!
    Yes, Gordon it would be nice to have NSW Capital city news in NSW, & VIC capital city News in Victoria, & SA capital city News in SA, & TAS Capital City News in Tasmainia,

Vast East South, covers, NSW, Victoria, SA, & Tasmania, & all these states get the same commercial Channel on 7, 9, & 10.....

there may or may not be some "tweaking" when all areas are turned on by the End of 2012....

But I doubt they will have four "state versions" of channel 7, 9, & 10 (requiring 4 channels of each) like the ABC & SBS have

I had thought that Vast East South was going to have all News from Sydney, but then Victorian people would want Melbourne News, etc.... ATM we have some News from Sydney & some from Melbourne

Maybe they could also put The Capital City News from each State in the 400's News channels for the people who want their own Capital City News......

I also think the boundary line between Vast East South & Vast East North may be the NSW & QLD border, & the SA & NT border.

I guess we see in the Second half of 2012

Cheers
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 17-02-12 at 08:52 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member

Thanks

Osirus, you and I think along the same lines re utilising the 400 channels for Capitol city news.
    As you say all we can do it wait untill the Digital/Analog change over is completed and VAST is available everywhere.
    Its never going to be perfect to suit all locations but even now its better than what WASNT there before.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-02-12)

Thanks

The VAST east zones align with the daylight saving zones.
    It's all to do with what the networks want. I am in Tassie at the moment and the terrestrial 10 news is from Melbourne. So it's not only VAST.
    If you want your own state news, move to Qld. All channels are Qld news.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnic View Post
    The VAST east zones align with the daylight saving zones.
    It's all to do with what the networks want. I am in Tassie at the moment and the terrestrial 10 news is from Melbourne. So it's not only VAST.
    If you want your own state news, move to Qld. All channels are Qld news.
    Like wise in WA

Premium Member

Thanks

NSW Terrestial news on all channels is Sydney based, I nearly said 'Originating' but the reader could be in Timbuctoo for all we know.
    Rodnic and Toyboy, obviously there can be no news being read for Tasmania if your news is comming from Melbourne which I think is very unfortunate.
    As for being aligned with DST, I dont see what that has to do with anything as NSW,Victoria and Tasmania will be the same time come DST or EST.
    I am wondering just whose news the 'Upper Part' of NSW will run once VAST begins in that area, Brisbane or Melbourne?

Thanks

NSW Terrestial news on all channels is Sydney based, I nearly said 'Originating' but the reader could be in Timbuctoo for all we know.
    Rodnic and Toyboy, obviously there can be no news being read for Tasmania if your news is comming from Melbourne which I think is very unfortunate.
    As for being aligned with DST, I dont see what that has to do with anything as NSW,Victoria and Tasmania will be the same time come DST or EST.
    I am wondering just whose news the 'Upper Part' of NSW will run once VAST begins in that area, Brisbane or Melbourne?
    A comment was made on where the VAST nth/sth boundaries could be. I just clarified it. Obviously when daylight saving ends both nth and south will be on the same time but the news will not change, ie nth will still be Brisbane and sth the mix of Melbourne and Sydney as it is now. For NT and SA it seems to be bad luck unless you watch the 400s news.
    With VAST there is only nth/sth so I guess if you have a NSW address (even if it is Tweed Heads) you will get the sth VAST to align with daylight saving.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnic For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (19-02-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

I am harking back to a publication of some years ago with the listings of 2 way radio services for the scanner hobbyist and it was very 'Melbourne' oriented.
    Basically like Rome, all roads commenced from Melbourne and radiated out.
    It divided NSW into areas not unlike the VAST of today with my area of the Central West being lumped into the South Coast from Wollongong to the Victorian Border and along to the West.
    Neither Topographicaly or Geographicaly do we have any connection with that area.
    Because there isnt much west of the Newell Highway, it was a sort of 'boundry line' for those areas.
    Whoever drew up these areas did so without consideration of the actual population spread or their connection to the areas shown for services and travel.
    To clarify my poor description, it was like living on the shores of a lake say a Kilometre wide but 40 K's long.
    Now a Kilometre away on the other side of this lake is a Town but for you to get there may take you 2 hours to drive so you dont go there if there are fascilities closer on your side.

For Victorians, that would be like living in Geelong and working in Frankston.

Banned
    Thanks

Well we don't have that problem over here in the West our news is our news nothing to do with the eastern side of the country, commercial channels that is.

ABC 24 is on aedst, local ABC's are local.

Premium Member

Thanks

Toyboy, I can only go off maps I have seen for WA but you have developed very differently to the Eastern side.
    Because of the Mountain Range that runs from Cairns into mid Victoria, this has caused very distinct growth patterns on either side and because of the often extremely rough terrain of the Range, has forced access into defined passage ways between the Coast and the 'Inland' so although areas may appear geographicaly close, in reality the landscape dictates that isnt always feasable.
    It took nearly 30 years (1813) for a way to be found over the Mountains to reach the vast inland areas of NSW from Sydney and even today, this is still the only real 'corridor' available without traveling a couple of hundred kilometres either North or South.

Thanks

Gordon, I can't see what geographical areas have to do with VAST. It is a satellite system so the same signal is received no matter where you are. The VAST people choose which of the three VAST zones you will see based on you address. Using your card number they 'switch on' your particular zone in your box. It is unfortunate the powers that be chose this way of doing things but it's better than nothing. Unless someone has the cash to launch enough satellites with the capacity to equal all the terrestrial transmitters we are stuck with the present VAST.
    I have a travellers system and usually have the northern zone (Qld) switched on but because I am now travelling in Tasmania I chose to have the southern (Tas) zone switched on purely because of the time difference. I just put up with (or not watch) the different news. When I go to WA I will have the west zone switched on. You can only have one zone at a time.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodnic For This Useful Post:

mtv (19-02-12),OSIRUS (19-02-12),Tiny (19-02-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

The actual geography has as you say nothing to do with VAST regarding reception and I am well aware of the use of Post Codes to determine reception but the point I am TRYING to make is HOW the areas have been divided up for programming.
    Over 90 % of the current programming as far as I can tell is the same OZ wide, ie Home and Away is on the '7' network at 7pm YOUR time.
    However we in NSW are getting Melbourne based AFL programs replacing those more NSW oriented along with the Capitol City news.
    And I definately agree with you that VAST is a HUGE improvement over Aurora.
    We do NOT need additional satelittes or even channels for that matter to attend to the problem of not having each States capitol news on VAST either as we have the '400' channels that could carry not only your 'Regional' news for each of the 'networks' as they do now BUT the Capitol news too.
    From what I can see the '400' channels are running the Digital loop for about 20 hours a day so there is more than enough time and 'space' (pun intended) to run your State Capitol News either 'Live' or on delay as our Prime Western Regional news is.
    Tonight on the Sydney based news were storm warnings from thunderstorms moving in from the South Western part of the state, were those warnings on the Melbourne news, I doubt it.
    I am quite sure those in other states wouldnt be very pleased if the NSW based NFL games and talk shows were to supplant your AFL programing.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-02-12 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks

The actual geography has as you say nothing to do with VAST regarding reception and I am well aware of the use of Post Codes to determine reception but the point I am TRYING to make is HOW the areas have been divided up for programming.
    Over 90 % of the current programming as far as I can tell is the same OZ wide, ie Home and Away is on the '7' network at 7pm YOUR time.
    However we in NSW are getting Melbourne based AFL programs replacing those more NSW oriented along with the Capitol City news.
    And I definately agree with you that VAST is a HUGE improvement over Aurora.
    We do NOT need additional satelittes or even channels for that matter to attend to the problem of not having each States capitol news on VAST either as we have the '400' channels that could carry not only your 'Regional' news for each of the 'networks' as they do now BUT the Capitol news too.
    From what I can see the '400' channels are running the Digital loop for about 20 hours a day so there is more than enough time and 'space' (pun intended) to run your State Capitol News either 'Live' or on delay as our Prime Western Regional news is.
    Tonight on the Sydney based news were storm warnings from thunderstorms moving in from the South Western part of the state, were those warnings on the Melbourne news, I doubt it.
    I am quite sure those in other states wouldnt be very pleased if the NSW based NFL games and talk shows were to supplant your AFL programing.
    Ahh! Now I understand. As I said before, move to Qld and then you don't have to worry about out of state news etc