Thread: Terminating unused connections.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Terminating unused connections.

Due to costs it looks like I will be buying a 2 X 8 Multiswitch for a Sat install and I was wondering about using 'Termimators/Dummy loads' on those not connected.
    Is it neccasary,advisable or just looks good and who sells them and at what cost?
    Are they sold 'loose' or in bags by the 1000?
    So far the costs for a 2 X 4 way M/s is around $20 more than buying an 2 X 8 way so hence the price balance.
    I suppose I could do the 'Scotshmans' ('Scots' are the people, Scotch is the Whiskey) way of wrapping some foil over the spare connectors so long as I didnt touch the inner core.
    I did see a 3 X 4 way M/S for a reasonable price but this install has no Terrestial reception but its an option still.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-02-12 at 02:10 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Due to costs it looks like I will be buying a 2 X 8 Multiswitch for a Sat install and I was wondering about using 'Termimators/Dummy loads' on those not connected.
    Is it neccasary,advisable or just looks good and who sells them and at what cost?
    Are they sold 'loose' or in bags by the 1000?
    So far the costs for a 2 X 4 way M/s is around $20 more than buying an 2 X 8 way so hence the price balance.
    I suppose I could do the 'Scotshmans' ('Scots' are the people, Scotch is the Whiskey) way of wrapping some foil over the spare connectors so long as I didnt touch the inner core.
    I did see a 3 X 4 way M/S for a reasonable price but this install has no Terrestial reception but its an option still.
    G'Day Cobber.
    Don't use Foil.
    Plastic caps if you can find them.
    Some switches come with. Ask the seller.
    Failing that, use Self Amalgamating Tape.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (17-02-12)

Thanks

Here's one, should be more local.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I've been using 2x8 and not terminating the unused outputs with no problems. I just used tape to carefully cover the unused outputs.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (17-02-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Ideally, any unused ports should be fitted with a 75 ohm terminating resistor.

This keeps the impedance matched and balanced.

In practice, they usually work fine without them.

Also, it depends if the switch is subject to dust/moisure.. if yes, seal all connectors, used and unused with amalgamating tape.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (17-02-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

Beerman, I saw those from O/Seas but I wanted one localy because of the 'Time Factor' hence the price variation/availablity.
    I rang the Sydney branch of the well known supplier and was quoted '$40 + GST + P/H' for a 2 X 4 M/S which rule of thumb comes to $50 whereas I can buy a Spaun 2 X 8 for under $40 delivered.
    An 2 X 8 hits $75 + GST + P/H, $90? sheeeesh.....
    I rang a retailer in a major town west of me where I considered buying a UEC for a neighbour's install and the person I spoke to hadnt a clue what I wanted.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Surely terminators would be available at the likes of Jaycar, probably individually, or in bags of 10 or 100. I am not a radiophile, but worked in Telecom, years back, in the Long Line room of Darwin Exchange. If you leave the outputs unterminated, you may suffer some signal degradation and possibly dropouts, if you can live with that, then go without.

Thanks

Talking Elusive F6 Terminators.

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Surely terminators would be available at the likes of Jaycar, probably individually, or in bags of 10 or 100. I am not a radiophile, but worked in Telecom, years back, in the Long Line room of Darwin Exchange. If you leave the outputs unterminated, you may suffer some signal degradation and possibly dropouts, if you can live with that, then go without.
    G'Day Cobbers.
    Not the first time I've made a post and it goes of to the wild blue yonder.

I've ordered 10 x 10
    packs of these.
    I'm about to make squillions out of this.
    I'm willing to sell them for $7.00 Including PP. Adjusted for Express etc.
    I've no idea at the moment what the delivery time is, but will post here,

only $2.49
    F TERMINATOR (PACK OF 10)
    All open or unused ports on signal splitters, LNBF's, MultiSwitches, etc. should be terminated. By doing so, you are decreasing signal leakage, increasing signal strength and protecting the port from water-damage and corrosion. 75 Ohm DC. SOLD IN PACKS OF 10.
    Should I use F Terminators?
    Q. - I've heard I should use "terminators" on my video connections. What are they and why should I use them?
    A. - 75-Ohm f terminators are one of the most overlooked, yet essential items.
    When you set-up your video distribution system, you'll often have locations that have video distributed to them but nothing connected to the system. This is usually the case when you've run the cable thinking that you might use the connection in the future.
    Open cable ends (or connectors) can cause deterioration and degradation of the video signal. In the simplest terms, your system will tend to have poorer signals if these ends are left open.
    A 75-Ohm terminator simply screws onto a standard F-connector, and presents a "load" to the system, as if a component were connected there.

"F" series terminators utilize passive electronic circuitry designed to block 60 cycle interference (generated by electric lines) and terminate RF signals on unused equipment ports. They are necessary to prevent impedance mismatches and minimize RF reflections and echoes. Unused active ports should always be terminated to:

1. prevent signal leakage
    2. prevent extraneous signals from entering the system, and
    3. prevent water and moisture damage if the unit is located outside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (29-02-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You can buy F (and PAL) terminators individually from places like Lacey's TV.

Individual retail cost is around 90 cents.

Bulk packs are much cheaper.

I buy them in 100 quantity.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks again all but I doubt I would find a retailer within a 100 miles of me who would stock them because they are realy for an installer only.
    And to buy one would cost more for P&H than the item itself.
    Beer4life, I will PM you

Premium Member

Thanks

I am still reading on about Multiswitches and I found one that stated 'Do NOT Terminate unconnected Ports'.
    I cant remember make/model etc but there you go, adds somewaht to the confusion doesnt it?

Thanks

You are almost definately not going to run into problems leaving the unused connections unterminated (leave the plastic covers on though). Some multiswitches, specifically tell you not to terminate, like youve seen. If you do ever decide to terminate pop into your local antenna installer (or possibly even an electrical wholesaler), they should have plenty.