Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installer who has no equipment!!!!!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Installer who has no equipment!!!!!

I kid you NOT, this is the excuse today I received from the company arranging to install the dish etc for VAST tomorrow, Tuesday 21st.
    I first 'registered' for VAST on December 13th last year when I received my letter from Centrelink and was told to expect a call from the installing company 'Possibly Late January' so I waited untill the 13th of February before calling the Digitalready line and Centrelink and was given the number of a company called 'Techlife'.
    I rang them and they set Friday the 17th for the installation but come Thursday night Techlife rang to cancel and reschedule for Tuesday the 21st.
    No problem, things happen to cause changes.
    They rang today while I was out and left a voice message with another cancellation for Tuesday using that absolutely unbelievable excuse and advising that 'An Installer would be in the area from the 13th of March'.

Ok, a bit annoying to say the least but to say that the installer' Didnt have the nessacary equipment for a VAST install' is plain bloody ridiculous and a total insult to my intellegence.
    I am not the brightest candle on the cake but I dont have STUPID on my forehead either.
    I rang them and after 7 minutes of waiting I got the 'Please leave a message' and I did.
    I told them the excuse was unacceptable and to ring me 'Two days before the proposed installation and I would be ready.
    I really dont care about waiting, but I want it done and I will make a complaint if it isnt.
    On the machine I told them I probably had more mounting equipment in the backyard that I could supply their installer except for the UEC stb.

Maybe we could start a thread called, 'Bloody Stupid Excuses given for not doing whatever'
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

What a joke!

Just goes to prove how useless the 'government endorsed installer' scheme is.

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV, what beats me is how can this company make money unless they are paid in advance based on the booking made, not jobs completed or even started?
    Maybe I was wrong thinking that at the completion of the installation, I would sign a form and that would be sent in for payment by the company.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    MTV, what beats me is how can this company make money unless they are paid in advance based on the booking made, not jobs completed or even started?
    Maybe I was wrong thinking that at the completion of the installation, I would sign a form and that would be sent in for payment by the company.
    You're correct Gordon,

Payment is made to the installer after the completion of the installation.

Did you find out what 'equipment' the installer didn't have?

Thanks

Gordon, sorry to hear about your bad experience, hopefully it gets sorted.

On the other side a friend of mine had Foxtel installed at their house yesterday, the installer was running late and he rang ahead 3 times to give them updates of where he was and how long he would be. I was over there helping unpack things as they had just moved into their new house. When he arrived he went over what he needed to do, on his sheet he was told a simple box install but he had to run a new cable from the pit up the power pole and into the house from there. He was very pleasent and well spoken, a little annoyed that he was given the wrong info from Foxtel but got to it straight away.

There is always one bad one in the bunch!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnwinger For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (20-02-12),warbo (11-04-13)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

I was approached by techlife to do work for them, and I know why the installer has no gear & doesn't show up

Unfortunately I had to sign a confidentiality agreement after which they sent me the pay rates.

The particular contract was to realign for Indian TV from D2 to IS8
    I can't divulge the exact rates, due to the CA, but I can put you in the ball park. About $50. And if a dish need physical relocating, and another $50 to it.

And you guessed it, Contractor needs to sign on board, carries all costs (car, wages, insurance, compo, super, Telstra phone bills, yada, yada, yada)

This is the email reply I had to send them

Hi Xxxx.

Just a few things I need cleared up.

For starters, do you class Newcastle as regional or metropolitan?

Secondly, after I reviewed your rates and managed to pick myself up of the floor containing my laughter, it occurred to me that you must have accidentally sent me the wrong set of rates, as they are substantially below basic operating costs even before factoring in a profit margin.

<snip>

Hopefully you will be able to forward me a workable set of rates that I might be able to consider.

Regards,
    That was a few weeks ago & I haven't heard back from them. I feel sorry for the HR girl who head hunted me because she sounded so excited when I said I would have a look at the rates.

Oh, BTW, they are a subsidiary of Telstra
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

best4less (22-02-12),cobra679 (22-02-12),efab (21-02-12),Godzilla (20-02-12),hos here (23-02-12),kevin1341 (20-02-12),ol' boy (10-04-13),OSIRUS (20-02-12),sat 49 (21-02-12),Smacca (21-02-12),weirdo (22-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Fernbay:- (And you guessed it, Contractor needs to sign on board, carries all costs (car, wages, insurance, compo, super, Telstra phone bills, yada, yada, yada))

Echos of the CETV days when they would pay nothing for installs and expect you to travell up to 80 Km away to do jobs.

Thanks

Default Is this the same Mob

If they are the same mob they are a division of Hills Industries Limited..

You would think equipment wouldnt be to hard to access if they are a division of Hills...

Banned
    Thanks

I kid you NOT, this is the excuse today I received from the company arranging to install the dish etc for VAST tomorrow, Tuesday 21st.
    I first 'registered' for VAST on December 13th last year when I received my letter from Centrelink and was told to expect a call from the installing company 'Possibly Late January' so I waited untill the 13th of February before calling the Digitalready line and Centrelink and was given the number of a company called 'Techlife'.
    I rang them and they set Friday the 17th for the installation but come Thursday night Techlife rang to cancel and reschedule for Tuesday the 21st.
    No problem, things happen to cause changes.
    They rang today while I was out and left a voice message with another cancellation for Tuesday using that absolutely unbelievable excuse and advising that 'An Installer would be in the area from the 13th of March'.

Ok, a bit annoying to say the least but to say that the installer' Didnt have the nessacary equipment for a VAST install' is plain bloody ridiculous and a total insult to my intellegence.
    I am not the brightest candle on the cake but I dont have STUPID on my forehead either.
    I rang them and after 7 minutes of waiting I got the 'Please leave a message' and I did.
    I told them the excuse was unacceptable and to ring me 'Two days before the proposed installation and I would be ready.
    I really dont care about waiting, but I want it done and I will make a complaint if it isnt.
    On the machine I told them I probably had more mounting equipment in the backyard that I could supply their installer except for the UEC stb.

Maybe we could start a thread called, 'Bloody Stupid Excuses given for not doing whatever'
    Well said

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella08 View Post

If they are the same mob they are a division of Hills Industries Limited..

You would think equipment wouldnt be to hard to access if they are a division of Hills...
    More on them...

Who is TechLife?

TechLife Solutions (TechLife) provides a range of in-home technical services for a variety of commercial customers, utilising our large base of well trained subcontractors. TechLife Solutions is a separate division of Hills Industries. It is a services business with national installation capability.

To find our more on what TechLife can do, go to

Who is Telstra International?

Telstra International is a leading global supplier of managed network services and international data, voice and satellite services. It is a division of the leading Australia-based, tier 1 telecommunications and media services company, Telstra Corporation Limited. Telstra is a customer to Vision Asia providing them with the satellite to offer the services they provide.

Who is Vision Asia?

Vision Asia is an independent multi-channel pay television platform servicing the cultural and entertainment needs of the people of South Asian background living in Australia and New Zealand. They are committed to bringing their customers the best in South Asian television viewing including serials, movies, game shows, music, sports and news to our subscribers.

What is the project about?

Telstra International has a requirement to re-point a large number of DTH antennas, replace Set Top Boxes (STBs) and smart cards in Vision Asia’s customer’s premises.

How long is the project?

The project will start on 16th January 2012 and finish on 15th April 2012.

Where is the work?

The majority of the work is in Sydney and Melbourne. The rest of the work is dotted around all states within Australia and New Zealand.

How much work is there?

There is approx 12, 000 individual jobs in Australia and 6, 000 in New Zealand. We may engage both small businesses with employees and independent subcontractors.

What do I need to be able to work on this project?

Proven experience and background in Satellite installations
    White Card
    Height Safety Certificate (CCPCCCM1006A).
    Police Certificate (no more than 1 year old)

What equipment do I need to be able to work on this project?

Field Strength Meter – that can read Digital Signal Levels, MER and DVB-S
    Height Safety Harness and equipment
    Computer
    Scanner
    Camera (phone or separate as you will be taking photos of each job)

How do I become a Subcontractor for TechLife?

Complete a TechLife Confidentiality Form – sent by HR
    Once HR receive the Confidentiality Form back from you, they will email out the rates, parts list and contractual paperwork
    Attend the TechLife Training Course
    When all contractual paperwork and TechLife Training is complete, and you have forwarded a copy of your White Card and Height Safety Certificate, TechLife will issue you your TechLife contractor ID number.

Tell me more about the TechLife Training Course?

The course runs for 1 day at no cost to you. It will cover the things that are outlined in our contract with Telstra International which includes Customer Service, Technical Procedures and TechLife processes and procedures. You will be given a Subcontractor Manual and some Cheat Sheets and be provided with lunch and refreshments.

What are the rates?

Once you complete a TechLife “Confidentiality Form” and send it back to TechLife HR we will email out the rates to you.

How often am I paid?

Weekly into your nominated bank account. TechLife will provide you with an RCTI (Recipient Created Tax Invoice) showing a summary of all the Work Orders you have submitted. The Work Order is completed at the customer’s premises, each night you scan and email in your Work Orders, the Work Orders are then mailed in to us. You will be paid based on the information on the Work Orders that are completed in the required format and all photos required have been received and reconciled. Usually within 2 weeks of completing the job.

How is the work allocated?

The work will be allocated in batches to your webpage with a completion date. You will be able to access and provide updates for all jobs allocated to you online.

How far will I be required to travel?

Our routing team will endeavour to give you work close to your location as possible. On occasion we may ask if you are able to assist us in jobs in other locations and these scenarios are dealt with independently.

What do I need to do to ensure I will be paid correctly?

Each night you will email in your Work Orders and photos. You will close each job off in the system (training provided) and post to us the hard copy Work Orders. It is very important you get the information right on the Work Order form the time you complete the job.

What support does TechLife offer?

A FOM – Field Operations Manager who will be able to offer you Technical Support and a very experienced TechLife Team based in Robina – Gold Coast will provide administrative support.

Who pays for travel and accommodation?

You pay for your own travel and accommodation. The rates are put together taking this into account.

Is there a uniform?

It is mandatory for you to wear a TechLife polo shirt while working on the project. TechLife will email out the Uniform ordering process with the contractural paperwork and you will need to purchase your own uniform.

Do I get any Identification?

TechLife will provide you with a contractor ID number and ID badge once you send back all paperwork and complete the training.

Who buys the stock?

You will need to purchase all your stock, this is made up of the items below. TechLife will email you out an approval parts list with prices.

Set Top Box and Smart Cards
    LNB’s, Mounts and Dishes (rarely required)

ACCESS TELEVISION SERVICES (ATS) / TECHLIFE

PO Box 9349

GCMC QLD 9726

Ground Floor, AUSTAR Building

35 Robina Town Centre Drive

ROBINA QLD 4226
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Premium Member

Thanks

Buggger me says I .........I have stirred the pot a bit
    Hills,Telstra and Austar, wott a bloody mixture.
    I remember when they rang the first time and told me their company name a mention was made of being associated with Hills and on the letter head I have from them under the company logo is Hills Holdings.
    I know full well who Hills are because back in the late 50's my very first TV antenna was that very common mid area Antenna costing 8 POUNDS, made by Hills.
    Remembering about the 'Hills' association is wha made me 'pop my cork' when I heard the recorded message about the installer not have the equipment needed.

Fernbay, I remember you asking about that and wondered how things went regarding the option.
    I was near going to say 'Opportunity' but from little I have heard and seen of the turnover of Austar installers, I gather that its a 'cracked crock' at the end of the rainbow, not a Golden Pot.

Administrator
    Thanks

Remembering about the 'Hills' association is wha made me 'pop my cork' when I heard the recorded message about the installer not have the equipment needed.
    Unfortunately, the installer is only a sub-contractor and has to provide all the equipment, tools, vehicle, phone, toll fees, etc, etc, which he must purchase himself.

He may also be required to travel some distance to your location.

Especially when travel is involved, the pay rates for the installer often place the job in the red.... eg: the installer loses money on the installation.

The latter may be the 'real' reason.... he needs several jobs in the area, just to cover his cost.

Also, because the pay rates are so poor, they don't have enough installers, which can add to delays.

I've been approached several times to work for them too (ATS/BSA) BSA being one of the major Foxtel installation companies... still subby work though... and there's more techs leaving than there are joining.

Although OT, it may help you understand the plight of the poor subby.... not so long ago, they were paying $25 to collect a decoder from a cancelled account.. which may be on the opposite side of Sydney from where the installer usually works.... then return it to the warehouse.

It's clearly obvious that $25 to cover time, travel (fuel, tolls, wear & tear, etc) and time lost which could otherwise be spent on installing, literally ends up costing the installer a lot more than the $25 paid.

The only incentive the subbies have is volume... lots of installations in the shortest time... whack up an antenna/dish as fast as you can and move on to the next job.

This is the reason for so many sloppy installations for Foxtel/Austar/VAST.

<rant over>

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (22-02-12),Fernbay (21-02-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

I rang the toads back on Tuesday morning and after only 1 minute and 12 seconds I got the bloody 'Please leave a message' crap so I gave them my name, address,number and told them to call me back as I refused to ring that number again and that it would be better to do all correspondence by APO because it would be quicker that this.
    They did ring back later but my answered the phone, she said she could barely hear the caller and they said they would 'Ring back later'.
    So now we wait but if I dont hear from them by Thursday, will send them an email as I am not sitting here listing to nothing intersperced every few seconds with a recorded voice announcing 'Your Call is important' nonsense.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

It's happening all over Australia. Total incompetence. No self respecting professional can afford (literally or morally) to accept their installer contractor agreement. And the costs are blowing out too.

Did you see the report in the Australian recently claiming that Conroy's department is spending on average $698 per install, and this was just for terrestrial boxes under the HAS scheme. The incompetence goes all the way to the Federal Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Premium Member

Thanks

I think part of that that budget blowout might be on a Telephone survey purportedly being conducted by the 'Department of Broadband,Communications and the Digital Economy' who rang me at 6pm EDST Sunday night, yes SUNDAY night !!!.
    As we got into it, to me it seemed like they kept asking the same question regarding how I knew about the changeover, Newspapers, Mail drop,Radio,TV etc and when I said that, the called said there was no use continuing and wanted to terminate the call and simply wasnt interested in continuing which annoyed me as I had just started tea when they rang.
    I find most surveys couch the questions to obtain the answers they want and dont want you to deviate from the desired result.
    Government departments are notoriously stingy and tight fisted counting rubber bands and paper clips but when a chink is found in the system, they go down to the tune of Millions.
    Look at the recent events with Qld health and I saw the NSW Railways get done for cleaning contracts and Parcel deliverys several years ago.
    Beerman, I think you will agree that its not always the 'Subbie/Contractor' rorting the system but those who hold the Contracts leave a lot to be desired in their practises.
    You can bet your dr Who 'Sonic Screwdriver' that if theres the slightest chance of a 'Rip Off' in any contract deals, someone will exploit it to the fullest.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-02-12 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

My work has moved location in the last few months to right next door to BSA in North Coburg.

My morning tea break is spent out the back watching all the newbies receiving training, one instructor surrounded by a group of kids under 21, and a dish set up on a pallet.

Im amazed by how little they seem to know before hitting the field, the training looks like just the bare basics, point dish like this, turn LNB this way, max signal, lock it and run.

One of the management mentioned they were seriously short staffed, vans with NSW rego working here, VIC guys being sent to WA etc.

Id didn't want to dig into him and mention their shitty pay rates.....best act like i know nothing.....

Premium Member

Thanks

Godzilla, you want to cultivate this blokes aquaintance and look very sagely and all wise (ie Thick as 2 bricks) when talking to any of them and they might pass on what their staff turnover is like.
    Like say how interesting a job it looks, being on the road and in the fresh air, meeting new people everyday and as a certified Rev Head (joking) and being grey matter challenged through sniffing the exhursts all day, you'd make a bonzer Dish sticker-upper, any vacancies ? hahahaha.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-02-12 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks

One of the management was bragging to my boss that the best guys can make 150K a year.

When this info was passed onto me (my boss knows i enjoyed mucking around with sat gear a few years back) i pissed myself laughing and explained to him a little of the BSA history/background and what they do to their techs once they have settled down.

Ive had a really bad itch to throw up a dish on our building, im sure they will know where its pointing and if we have a account or not.

Premium Member

Thanks

Unless my reading of the calculater is crap, if you took an average of 2 hours and did 6 dish installs a day at $50 each = $300 a day X 7 days = $2100 a week X 52 weeks = $109 200
    I think that claim of $150k a year is nonsence.
    I am basing that on the $50 per dish in Fernbays posting.
    Based on a 5 day week you would have to earn $500 a day every week with no holidays either Public or Annual leave, weather delays , breakdowns or 'No equipment available' taken into account to achieve the claimed $150K per annum claim

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (22-02-12)

Thanks

The average amount of set top boxes im seeing loaded per van, per day is 7.

I think they are open on Saturdays, so base that on a 6 day week for a realistic figure.

42 X $50 is $2100 minus expenses.

You would quickly wear out your body doing 7 a day, 6 days a week, especially in this summer heat, dont forget winter when its raining your off work.

I noted most of the vans have red P plates on them, looks like they are getting the young and naive on board.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

gulliver (09-04-13)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast