Thread: nanna - can a panasonic satellite receiver be used for VAST

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Default nanna - can a panasonic satellite receiver be used for VAST

nanna,

I'm starting a new thread on the subject for you, as it's off topic where you had it.

Quote Originally Posted by nanna
    thank you mtv.. i live north of gympie in qld and a lot of homes in this area had to have the vast satellite because of reception issues.
    while i appreciate your suggestion about the pvr having much higher quality i really don't think i would understand enough to be able to use it. i have only just recently learned what it is. the other fellow. gordon1942 was saying that the panasonic was a terrestrial tuner but this information i looked up says it has a satellite tuner. i'm probably just missing a point here somewhere. i was going to ask gordon1942 but couldn't seem to find somewhere to reply to his message..so would you mind having a look at the information and tell me if you think it would be ok.
    DMR-XS385
    High Definition Recorder with HDD (250GB) and Twin HD Satellite Tuner
    1. High Definition Recording & Playback onto HDD
    2. Twin HD SatelliteTuner
    3. DLNA Home server Function

High Quality Picture Recording and Playback
    • H.264 Long Time Archiving
    • HD Chroma Processor
    • P4HD
    • Detail Clarity Processor

Easy to Use
    • Long Time Archiving in HM mode with High Quality
    • Two CI Slot
    • Rewind Live TV
    • Pause Live TV
    • Auto Scene Chapter
    • 10 Sec Skip Back Button
    Quite simply... NO, there is only one model of VAST satellite decoder available, which is the Altech UEC box you have.

No other satellite decoder can be used to decode the VAST signals.

If you can use a VCR then you could use a VAST PVR. In fact, it's simpler to operate than a VCR.

Gympie and Gympie Town are serviced by terrestrial digital TV and given you said you've been able to record TV from your VCR tuner (analogue) it still puzzles me why you need satellite.

I understand if there is inadequate terrestrial signal, it's just your mention of being able to record one channel and watch another before getting the VAST system, which suggests your terrestrial reception is OK.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

nanna, I presumed quite incorrectly that the Panasonic stb you mentioned was for Terrestial TV but its a Satelitte STB apparently but as MTV says, unfortunately it cannot be used to receive VAST.
    At this time we are stuck with the UEC and its less than impressive features.
    I quite understand your dilema with all these new words like FTA, Terrestial, OTA and stb etc. We use the abbreviations simply because to use the full name for everything raises blisters on the typing finger(s).
    Please ask if we tend to dazzle you with phrases and I am sure we will be able to explain them.

Are you too far out of town to be able to receive the 'Terrestial' TV or in a bad location so they installed VAST for you instead just a Digital STB?
    By 'Terrestial' we mean a TV signal broadcast from a local tower and received on a standard external antenna, FTA means the ABC,SBS,7,9 & 10.
    FTA is also applied to VAST as distinct for Austar/Foxtel which is PayTV.
    OTA (Over The Air) means a special signal sent from a satelitte to a STB to allow it to be updated, Austar does this everyday between 4am and 5am but mostly you the viewer doesnt know its happening.
    In another life outside this forum, MTV is a professional in this field and all the detail you can supply him with will assist him and others to work out a solution for you.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-02-12 at 02:45 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

oh yes i can use a video recorder very well, i've been doing that for years. i've even learned how to use a computer quite well. i just don't understand the pvr thing. i don't understand how i would get it onto a disc. and rather than burden everyone with my worries i thought it would be much better to go with something i knew a little bit about.
    have you tried looking under Glenwood or curra for the terrestrial reception because these are 2 black spots? in my area. i think from reading some of your other messages you must work in that field somehow. i used to get tv with rabbit ears and a portable tv but had no real picture, only sound. but i could still tape one show and well "watch" listen to another..it didn't really matter because it was just for me. i'm sorry i don't always explain myself very well. i don't live in gympie but north of gympie. i just didn't want to put my actual address in because i did that last night and i was told i shouldn't have done that so i had to go and try to take it off.. i can't think of how better to explain it but a lot of people in our area had to have satellite dishes and vast boxes. not all got it like i did though. some had to pay for it themselves i think.

Thanks

oh dear. every time i reply to mtv the reply for yours goes away so i'll just have to put it under here. oh yes that's ok, if i don't know what the letters mean i go and look them up. these computers are very helpful that way.
    yes gordon1942 that's is what happened. that's why i am with vast. and i have been reading the messages and yes i have a lot of those things happen with it. like it going funny and trying to scan again. i did work out though if i use the button on the control to show information about the program to then change channels it doesn't drop out near as much as if i try to change channels too fast the other way like the other fellow said happens to him.. ok i'd better get back on topic here. ok i just read the last part of your message. i'm going to have to study that for a while to take it all in but your description of everything will help me out there.
    so it doesn't appear i can do what i used to be able to with the video player. i don't suppose that matters too much because since the changeover i can't anyway. but if i were to buy this panasonic dvd recorder would i be able to at least tape 1 show at a time or won't it record anything from the vast stb.
    it looks like it will do what i need for mum but i would at least like to be able to record tv on it to disc as well for all that money. thank you both for being patient with me and trying to help.

Administrator
    Thanks

As I said previously, I only needed your town name, not your actual address, as a guide to check signal coverage.

Naturally, an actual address gives a more accurate signal path plot, but I never encourage anyone to divulge their exact address in a public forum, but several do by PM (personal message) especially those who want me to perform some work for them.

Anyhow, it's probably irrelevant, as the installer wouldn't have installed satellite if you had adequate terrestrial signals available wherever you are.

It's still just very confusing how you managed to record watch anything prior to the satellite installation if you are in an area with no terrestrial reception.... that part makes no sense to me.

A PVR has a hard drive, either internally or externally. You can connect the output of the VAST decoder to a DVD recorder, if you wanted to have the recordings on a DVD, but you can just keep them on the hard drive indefinitely, until the drive is full, then you'd have to delete some stored recordings if you needed more space... or just buy another hard drive... exactly how you would do with your computer.

The VAST installer should have connected your video recorder so you can record programs, if you wished.

Thanks

oh yes i know it was my fault. i just wasn't thinking at the time. yes when they came they had a long antenna looking thing and held it up. i think they said we had reception but it wasn't good enough. or something along those lines.
    oh i knew how to connect the video recorder. i did before and with the new set up i just kept trying till i got it to work. they were very busy because they had a lot of houses to do and i worked it out fine, so i didn't need to worry them about it.
    i'll have to study your message on the pvr a bit more. i do take my hard drive out of my computer if i need to and i even partisioned one once by looking up how to do it, so i should be able to work out what you mean on the pvr..i just have to concentrate a lot harder than most would i guess.
    well i'll have a look into the pvr and i've asked gordon1942 about the panasonic as well. i'd probably rather something i know because my brain gets awfully tired learning new things all the time. well i will talk to you again once i've studied it a bit and let you know how i go. i can't thank you enough for taking the time to explain it all to me. i searched everywhere but no-one seems to have much information on this vast yet.. well the recording side of it anyway..and that's how i manage to do things. by looking it up on the computer from someone who knows...thank you..

Thanks

Just about vast the vast smart card cant be used in any other receive other than the uec box

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Just about vast the vast smart card cant be used in any other receive other than the uec box... it came with
    Fixed.

Thanks

hello, just an update on my panasonic dvd recorder for anyone interested.
    i bought one (a different model than the one i had mentioned) and i'm really happy with it. it does everything i wanted it to except recording one channel while watching another, but i think that's the set top box causing that not the recorder, the recorder itself will record the vast satellite tv beautifully and has so many other functions that i have now learned how to use. i would never go back to recording to video. it has a built in pvr that i've learned how to use and wouldn't be without now. it puts them straight onto a dvd disc for me if needed and i can cut the commercials out straight from the recorder. it took me a while to learn how to use all it's functions but the booklet that came with it was easy to understand. I just learned one new thing at a time and now i'm so happy with it i'm just hoping it is good quality and will last. just recently i got a download on my set top box to tell me the pvr function and remote control was ready to buy for it for $129, but i would never swap because of the ability my recorder has to put everything i want straight onto a dvd. the only thing i'm disappointed with is not being able to watch one show while recording another but until the altec set top box enables that to happen i'm happy doing it this way. my recorder COULD record one channel while watching another IF i was on that terestial tv, but because i'm on vast satellite with the altec stb it can't do both. But what it can do is awesome..Just hoping this might help someone with the same problem i had. thank you all for your help. oh and i can even put all my old video's onto dvd, an added bonus.

Thanks

You will never be able to do that with the current VAST box as it only has 1 tuner inside it. To watch one program and record another requires two tuners (one for you to watch with and one to record with). Unless a VAST capable satellite STB is released with two tuners this will be impossible. (Unless you want to spend 300ish dollars on a second box! :P)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Nanna, dont hold your breathe but rumours abound thet UEC may/might/maybe release a stb you can record on channel and watch another but currently thats all it is, a rumour along with the possiblity of another STB maker releasing a VAST compliant STB.
    In the meantime keep buying those Lotto tickets because you have a better chanch of a win there than with UEC.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

beerman (21-05-12)