Thread: A 'HOLD' on VAST

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default A 'HOLD' on VAST

I finaly got a friend to ring Techlife about his VAST install yesterday and they told him that his installation was on 'HOLD'.
    He said the operator told him that 'the Government was going to install the STB'................errr isnt Techlife the Govt installer?
    He got his letter from and registered with Centre Link mid December and I did the 'Pre-appoval' online with MySat using his name and address and it came back as 'Approved for Vast'.
    His area is patchy for analog as he is some 80 kilometres from the Transmitters and Digital is pretty hopeless, changing hour by hour.

I rang the Digital help line but they werent much help regarding this 'Hold' even though they agreed his area appears to be a VAST approved area.
    Because of the general rural area with a very scattered residential population, its highly unlikely there would be any thought of installing a Terrestial service.
    He was told to 'wait a couple of weeks' which makes me wonder as I am surposed to get VAST installed on the 13th of March, 2 weeks time.
    Coincidental??????
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Are you saying that there 3 people involved in this or 4 You, your friend,Techlife, and a friend to ring Techlife that might have some bearing on the matter.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    He was told to 'wait a couple of weeks' which makes me wonder as I am surposed to get VAST installed on the 13th of March, 2 weeks time. Coincidental??????
    Ho Hum Ho Hum! I have heard this and other install balls-ups every single day for well over a year now. And after they finally get a VAST installation then all the other issues start.

• No PVR function
    • Multiple VAST boxes required - I didn't know that they say
    • Excessive costs for multiple boxes
    • complaints about dodgy installations
    • No more terrestrial services - but, but???

And on and on it goes. And all the while the the Broadcasters, UEC, OPTUS, Hills and Skybridge are laughing all the way to the bank.

Where can I buy me one of these Labour Government cronnies?
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beerman For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (29-02-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

Toyboy, I will try and explain it as simply as I can which I thought I already had.
    Firstly MY friend got HIS letter from Centrelink in December 2011 to apply for the HSS as he lives in a rural area with minimal reception.
    HE did so a few days later and like me, had not had any contact since that application was made.
    I repeat, as he hadnt heard anything from anyone since his registration last December I finaly got HIM to ring the number for the Installer 'Techlife' to enquire when he might be scheduled for the installation.
    It was during this phone call HE made to Techlife he was advised that his installation has been 'Put on Hold'.
    He said he wasnt sure if the operator was clear if this STB was a VAST or Terrestial STB because she kept saying 'The Government will be installing the STB'

After him telling me of his call to Techlife and what he had been told I (me) rang the DIGITAL HELP line (NOT Techlife) on his behalf becauseit was the Digital Help line who earlier this month given ME the telephone number of Techlife to ring because according to them, I should have had some contact 2 or 3 weeks after the initial application was made.
    During the call to the DIGITAL HELP LINE, neither his name nor address was given just his postcode
    They couldnt give me any suitable answer and I again got them to check his postcode and again they advised it was a VAST approved area.
    Now I dont know whats so complicated about that.

I DIDNT ring Techlife for him nor did anyone else that I know of so I cant follow the comment on 2,3,4, me,him or anyone else.
    I hope thats made this clearer for you toyboy?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Ho Hum Ho Hum! I have heard this and other install balls-ups every single day for well over a year now. And after they finally get a VAST installation then all the other issues start.

• No PVR function
    • Multiple VAST boxes required - I didn't know that they say
    • Excessive costs for multiple boxes
    • complaints about dodgy installations
    • No more terrestrial services - but, but???

And on and on it goes. And all the while the the Broadcasters, UEC, OPTUS, Hills and Skybridge are laughing all the way to the bank.

Where can I buy me one of these Labour Government cronnies?

Beerman, your not making me feel very confidant about the installation in a fortnights time.
    Keep it up and I will cancel it and either put up my own seperate dish or leave what I have in place now.

What I cant follow is apparently they (Techlife) dont get paid untill they do the installations so wouldnt it be good business to get on with the job or is there another way of plucking the Duck or Goosing the Golden Govt Goose without getting their hands dirty?

Banned
    Thanks

Ok thanks for that.So it looks like Techlife are the ones holding up both of your installations, is that right

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

As I've said previously, the 'contract' installers are paid so poorly, they often lose money if a lot of travel is involved for a single installation, so it's quite normal for them to keep people waiting until there are several installations in relative close proximity to each other.

Depending on the installation, the customer pays the first $220 to the installer on arrival, which he has to deliver to his employer (the contracted company).... the govt subsidy pays the balance.

The govt pays the company, then the installer is paid by the company.... all taking time.

If the installer has other work aside from the government HAS.. (which most installers have to, to survive) they will give that work preference, as it means they get paid from the customer direct at the time of installation.

This is one of the reasons I won't register with the govt installation scheme.. I can't afford to.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (29-02-12),OSIRUS (29-02-12),Softek2 (02-03-12),Tiny (29-02-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV Quote : If the installer has other work aside from the government HAS.. (which most installers have to, to survive) they will give that work preference, as it means they get paid from the customer direct at the time of installation.:Quote

According to Techlife and Centrelink, neither of us are required to pay ANYTHING for this installation under the HAS program so that might be as reason for a delay if the installer doesnt get this payment up front. Maybe they rely on this money for daily expenses perhaps while they wait for the company to pay them ?

Toyboy quote: Ok thanks for that.So it looks like Techlife are the ones holding up both of your installations, is that right? :Quote
    Toyboy I neither know or care who is holding up what just like no one asked Atlas who held the World on His shoulder according to Mythology, 'Who was holding up Atlas?'
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-02-12 at 07:30 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

According to Techlife and Centrelink, neither of us are required to pay ANYTHING for this installation under the HAS program so that might be as reason for a delay if the installer doesnt get this payment up front. Maybe they rely on this money for daily expenses perhaps while they wait for the company to pay them ?
    Your job is obviously covered in full by the HAS.

A lot of others, in more remote areas requiring considerable travel, cost beyond the HAS allowance, and the customer pays the first $220... so you're lucky... lucky that is when your installation finally happens.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Your job is obviously covered in full by the HAS.

A lot of others, in more remote areas requiring considerable travel, cost beyond the HAS allowance, and the customer pays the first $220... so you're lucky... lucky that is when your installation finally happens.
    That and the SSS program for those with 'Self Help' sites have to pay too.
    I quizzed Centrelink twice about this and Techlife when I first registered and I was told that those on the certain Pension schemes didnt pay anything.

I have some OAP's friends at Hartley where the SSS program is being carried out now and I will ask them if they are required to pay anything.

And thanks for your Good Luck wishes re the Install, very appreciated !!

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

That and the SSS program for those with 'Self Help' sites have to pay too.
    I quizzed Centrelink twice about this and Techlife when I first registered and I was told that those on the certain Pension schemes didnt pay anything......
    Both the HAS and the SSS only covers one installation. No out-of-pocket if you're eligable for the HAS and $220 for the SSS shortfall. The minimum out-of-pocket for the SSS is $220, it can be more if they travel further, up to $300. I would not expect you to have to pay any more than $220 Gordon.

And would you like other TV's to have VAST with that order?

Good luck!
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Premium Member

Thanks

I can only reiterate that I was told by both Techlife and Centrelink that I would pay nothing for the install/stb and of course thats for ONE installation/STB ONLY.
    If I want other stbs, I will buy them as required.
    If the installer turns up (???) and wants money then he will go home empty handed taking his Dish/Stb etc with him as I wont be paying anything, PERIOD.