Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vast activation

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lurk_relurking View Post
    Yes! Interesting is it not. We pay top dollar and we seem not to have any rights. Can you sell it? Activated or do you have to cancel the activation. Can you sell it at all?
    A Dogs dinner regurgitated.
    I have seen nothing in any documentation stating that the STB cannot be disposed of to another through Sale, Gift or Deed.
    Nor any intructions regarding 'De-Activation' of a STB even if it has been replaced due to failing so basicaly once registered in your name, thats for Eternity !!
    The only restrictions which I really havent read are the 'Area' of use if it is activated.
    There has been nothing stated that I have seen regulating the number of STB's that an individual/company/business can have activated at any one time.

15 days is actualy quite mind blowingly fast considering it could take up to 6 MONTHS under the old Black Spot system for approval of Aurora commercial channels.

It is rather strange the PVR version wont record 'Closed Captions' when an attatched recorder to the AV OUTs does.
    Not all shows have CC available and many never will most likely which must limit what those with hearing difficulties can see and enjoy.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 09-03-12 at 11:21 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Yesterday activated a UEC PVR on the Mysat website. about 30 minutes later the ABC and SBS were alive. Nothing showing for the commercial channels. Sometime between then and 4PM the Western Australian commercial channels appeared on the channel list but the UEC says the card has not been activated for these channels.
    How long does it usually take for the Commercial channels to be activated. THIS is in WA using a Optus Aurora card as entitlement. Last year I tried a test authorization and it went through and the email said I could get Vast because of the Optus card.
    Ok then please tell us have you got all the channels working or not As i said in #12 above UEC activation does not apply to your allready PVR box.
    Last edited by toyboy11; 09-03-12 at 12:22 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Rang Mysat to find out what is going on. Now mind you we did apply for approval last year using our Optus card, and they told us we would be entitled to Vast.
    Have you reapplyed on the mysat website quoting your optus card number and your stb number not by ringing them up

I've got 2 stb's ( not travellers) registered and never had a problem, talking to people over the phone dosen't get the same result as filling in a form.

Also i'm in WA
    Last edited by toyboy11; 09-03-12 at 04:54 PM.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    I also wonder about Travelers Activation

Technically after 6 months if you do not renew it, the channels are turned off

does this mean that it is no longer Vast Activated....?

& if so could you then sell the STB as Unactivated....?

or activate it with another Name ....?
    And as the card and unit is matched what then? Can the original travellers card be reactivated if sold with the unit? Will another travellers card work (in other words, are travellers cards also matched to a particular box?).

Or will the box and card be as useless as a Telstra wifi dongle that the credit has expired for more than 90 days (you have to buy a new wifi dongle as it's deactivated and can't be reactivated - so they say).
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beerman For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-03-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    And as the card and unit is matched what then? Can the original travellers card be reactivated if sold with the unit? Will another travellers card work (in other words, are travellers cards also matched to a particular box?).

Or will the box and card be as useless as a Telstra wifi dongle that the credit has expired for more than 90 days (you have to buy a new wifi dongle as it's deactivated and can't be reactivated - so they say).
    I let my travellers auth go over by 5 weeks. VAST did not stop working and I just renewed it and got another 6 months from that date. There is no difference in the cards, they are not travellers or fixed cards so I would say they could just be reauthed under a new owners name.

Banned
    Thanks

And as the card and unit is matched what then? Can the original travellers card be reactivated if sold with the unit? Will another travellers card work (in other words, are travellers cards also matched to a particular box.
    Yes they are you cannot change cards into different boxes.

• The Following User Says Thank You to toyboy11 For This Useful Post:

beerman (09-03-12)

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    Yes they are you cannot change cards into different boxes.
    Just as the regular VAST cards are then!

Ok, if you register a card as a travellers card, and you get sick and tied of renewing every six months, can you have it made permanent? Obviously that will also depend on where you live.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Just as the regular VAST cards are then!

Ok, if you register a card as a travellers card, and you get sick and tied of renewing every six months, can you have it made permanent? Obviously that will also depend on where you live.
    The cards are all the same, it's just the level of authorisation on them.

Yes, you can change a travellers status to fixed and vice versa.

Eg: you may have a VAST card/box activated at your approved fixed address, but you can take the box travelling and have access to the area you are travelling in, then change it back to your fixed status on return, then go travelling again, etc, etc.
    Last edited by mtv; 09-03-12 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (12-03-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Ok then please tell us have you got all the channels working or not As i said in #12 above UEC activation does not apply to your allready PVR box.
    Have you reapplyed on the mysat website quoting your optus card number and your stb number not by ringing them up
    Sorry but you have got some confusion going on. The Yast Uec PVR box is a PVR. I think you need to re read as you seem confused.

The box has been activated for ABC and The SBS channels. The placeholders(?) for the commercial channels are there but when you try to view those channels the Box pops up a box informing me that "The smartcard has not been activated for these channels". This commercial channel activation is decided by the Channels through RAB, and is the part I'm upset about(15 working day wait for reply). I'm sorry, I can't make it any simpler, try rereading.
    Hey Toyboy I don't think he needs to explain this to you over & over again. Read posts 1 & 2 over & over until you get it.
    Are you a Blonde
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-03-12)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Are you a Blonde
    No i,m not a blonde, anyway where is you contribution to the problem, i don't see you making any. You have VAST so tell us of your experience in getting your activation you know every little bit helps!!!!!!
    Last edited by toyboy11; 10-03-12 at 04:55 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

No i,m not a blonde, anyway where is you contribution to the problem, i don't see you making any. You have VAST so tell us of your experience in getting your activation you know every little bit helps!!!!!!
    Hope you now understand that Lurk is caught up in bureaucratic red tape & his best option IMHO is to wait out the 15 working days & see if he gets the full suite of channels activated. If not go the traveler option.

My contribution to this thread, post #11.

My experience with VAST activation is being one of the first on this forum to use the travelers option & answer questions about what I got.
    Last edited by Tiny; 10-03-12 at 05:49 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Banned
    Thanks

Well i wouldn't wait the 15 days, as lurk said he had an email stating that he would get approval.

If he still has that email he could send it back with the details of both optus and vast card numbers and they really could hardly knock him back, could they

I mean what's he got to loose they will either tell him that his application is being processed or activate his card straight away.

Then if all else fails and i don't think it would, he could then apply for a Travelers approval.

So that's the best i can offer any further help he needs he can find it here, but i wont be involved anymore

Regards toyboy 11

Administrator
    Thanks

Terrestrial digital translators are being installed in numerous areas, so if an area which has previously been granted access to Aurora/VAST has, or is slated to have, terrestrial digital translators installed, providing that area with terrestrial digital coverage, satellite FTA authorisation may be withdrawn.

This may explain why some applications are being reviewed.

Which in turn would open yet another tin of worms for those viewers who have been forced to fork out for satellite gear and not be permitted to continue using it.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-03-12),Smacca (11-03-12),Tiny (10-03-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Which in turn would open yet another tin of worms for those viewers who have been forced to fork out for satellite gear and not be permitted to continue using it.
    Which is theres the 6month before rule in non-remote areas, by which point this should all be nearly or completely finalised. But you would think affected people would be grandfathered through and allowed to continue watching it. When their gear finally packs it in, then they could either continue VAST, or more likely go for terrestrial

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I checked both my own locality again and the surrounding area and the Myswitch details have been changed AGAIN.
    While I am still in a VAST approved locality after being 'advised' this time 12 months ago that the 'Broadcasters were considering installing a Translator' to cover this area, I noted other places in this area have been updated and more detail provided for the June 5 switchover date.
    As I posted elswhere, a friend in a nearby location has been put 'On Hold' regarding his application for a VAST installation but no explantion was given why this has happened.
    I will remind him to ring Techlife (installers) to see what the current situation is this Friday as over two weeks will have passed by then.
    My own installation, 3rd attempt, is due this Tuesday 13th between 1 and 4 pm.
    I wait in eager anticipation.................
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 11-03-12 at 10:54 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I am from the UK, staying in your lovely country escaping our winter as usual.
    Today I helped a WA couple who have a new caravan and have just purchased a UEC D4212 (from memory I could be wrong) and mobile dish compass and meter.
    I am loath to criticise your system but so far am absolutely staggered at what you have to put up with. Please correct me if I am wrong but the box scanned in only the channels that could be activated, what about say Al Jazerra, is it possible to view that or other any other FTA channels? if there were any of course that are not owned by the great media man residing in the USA and sometimes in the UK giving our politicians their orders.
    Anyway they filled in the activation request online, as travellers, only one state is allowed for where you are travelling so it will be interesting to see what gets activated, they chose Queensland.
    I will keep you posted, btw although the paperwork said both the card number and box number are needed, only the card number could be filled in online. I wonder if a card will activate to whatever box it happens to be in, just like our NDS cards?
    Last edited by crabber; 17-03-12 at 07:18 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    I am from the UK, staying in your lovely country escaping our winter as usual.
    Today I helped a WA couple who have a new caravan and have just purchased a UEC D4212 (from memory I could be wrong) and mobile dish compass and meter.
    I am loath to criticise your system but so far am absolutely staggered at what you have to put up with. Please correct me if I am wrong but the box scanned in only the channels that could be activated, what about say Al Jazerra, is it possible to view that or other any other FTA channels? if there were any of course that are not owned by the great media man residing in the USA and sometimes in the UK giving our politicians their orders.
    Anyway they filled in the activation request online, as travellers, only one state is allowed for where you are travelling so it will be interesting to see what gets activated, they chose Queensland.
    I will keep you posted, btw although the paperwork said both the card number and box number are needed, only the card number could be filled in online. I wonder if a card will activate to whatever box it happens to be in, just like our NDS cards?
    Firstly... welcome to Oz

The only channels that can be received with a VAST decoder are the VAST channels... you cannont program any other FTA channels, unfortunately.

The online registration only required the make & model of decoder and as you're aware.. there is only one at present, which doesn't require the serial number of the decoder, only the smartcard to register and activate the service.

The VAST smartcards are paired with the decoder they come with, so you cannot use a smartcard with any other decoder, only the box it was supplied with.

If Queensland was selected on a travellers application, that's what they'll get.

As travellers do... moving interstate is no problem if you wish to change areas.... just submit a new application requesting the new state/territory.

Thanks

Yes they are designed just to receive the VAST stations. Its because they are supposed to be semi plug-and-play, and the freeview platform doesnt cover those stations. Nothing stopping them using another decoder to get other stations, but of course most people have no idea they can.

Theres 3 Zones, anywhere in each zone receives the same feeds.
    NT, QLD = North
    WA = West
    All other states = South

All areas receive the remote license stations applicable to their area (equiv to metro 7,9,10) and ABC/SBS. 16 channels all up (not incl. local news channels, etc.).

You used to have to supply both, but I guess they figured it was redundant as both box and card a locked to each other.

Thanks

Thanks guys for your quick and informative replies, I know it is really not my place to moan but being English I will anyway.
    I am still amazed that you need to go to all this trouble to see what after all are free to air terrestrial channels, and having bought the special box and card required find it wont receive any other ones.
    I cant get my head around why viewers in one state are prevented from seeing the same channel transmitted to another state but in a different time zone. I have noticed that some sports are delayed before reaching WA.
    Is the reason the advertisers want customers to be watching a channel relevant only to their advertising?
    Last edited by crabber; 17-03-12 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks

I am still amazed that you need to go to all this trouble to see what after all are free to air terrestrial channels
    Australia is big and mostly unpopulated (and like 80+% are crammed in the SE corner too), it just isnt cost effective for broadcasters to cover everywhere terrestrially.

and having bought the special box and card required find it wont receive any other ones.
    Most people dont know of them, or dont want them anyway. But again its all to do with the freeview branding, of which the other Sat FTA broadcasters have no involvement in.

I cant get my around why viewers in one state are prevented from seeing the same channel transmitted to another state but in a different time zone. I have noticed that some sports are delayed before reaching WA.
    Remote WA (west zone) actually has different licensed stations then Remote Central and Eastern Australia (nth + sth zones), and North and South Zones are for the most part because of some states having and others not having Daylight Savings. From what Ive heard North and South are virtually identical, and West isnt too different either.

Is the reason the advertisers want customers to be watching a channel relevant only to their advertising?
    The West zone is a separate license area by law, North and South are the same license area but are being split into two separate markets by the broadcaster to allow for more localised advertising. I use the term localised VERY loosely.
    All non-metro terrestrial license areas a split into markets for localised (this time actually accurate) advertising

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nbound For This Useful Post:

beerman (19-03-12),crabber (17-03-12),jonnyath (17-03-12)

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast