Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vast activation

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Crabber, unfortunately OZ is lagging behind in so many things those in the Northern Hemisphere take for granted but as nbound says, OZ is over FIVE times larger than the UK and only with only 22 Million population, mostly in the SE corner and the bottom corner of WA, we simply cant afford it.
    VAST is one hell of a step up from its predercessor Aurora, which was a big stepup from Bmac and before that was Static on Shortwave.
    None of us understands why the 'Broadcasters' have tied VAST into the fabled Grecian Knots but we all know MONEY is the prime motivator.
    VAST is still in its infancy and hopefully over the next (hopefully short) years, some of these current restrictions will change for the betterment of everyone.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Crabber, unfortunately OZ is lagging behind in so many things those in the Northern Hemisphere take for granted but as nbound says, OZ is over FIVE times larger than the UK and only with only 22 Million population, mostly in the SE corner and the bottom corner of WA, we simply cant afford it.
    Sorry to nitpick but the difference in area is much larger than 5 times (its about 31 times).

UK (Nthn Ireland incl.) - 243,610 km2 (Population- 62,262,000)
    Australia - 7,617,930 km2 (Population- 22,861,246)

A good comparison for population as the area is much closer in size, is the 48 contiguous United States (ie. Not Alaska or Hawaii)- 7,663,941.7 km2 (Population- 306,675,006)
    Last edited by nbound; 18-03-12 at 09:25 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Just for info purposes.

Had my 2 vast receivers with power turned off to them for over 4 weeks.Cards previously active.

Reconnected today, came up scrambled at first, but both updated within 30 minutes, no telephone reactivation needed

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

beerman (19-03-12),gordon_s1942 (18-03-12),nbound (18-03-12),OSIRUS (18-03-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

nbound, sorry about my Fauxpau but its been over 1/2 a century since I studied Geography but I did know we were almost equal to the 'continental' USA.
    But that makes it even worse when you consider the space but the distances between population groups.
    There is or was one Federal Electorate (Tim Fisher held it one time) that is around the size of the Netherlands and the population was approximately 1 person per 10 square miles or kilometres.
    Either way, you certainly dont have trouble finding a place to sit and rest a spell.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Just to let you know that my friend's box is now working, after a shaky start as they gave an incorrect email address by mistake. They rang the free phone number and all was sorted.
    I haven't had time to go through every channel but a quick test did show what looked like all areas working, even though the home address is WA and they are travelling to Queensland.
    Thanks for everyones help, I take your points about the size of the country, but I still don't understand why FTA terrestrial channels need all this security, cards locked to boxes, only relevant channels showing in menu, not possible to view FTA channels on C1 or other satellites etc
    Is work being done on say, oscam reading the card, or finding out how the extra encryption layer works and exactly how the box is "locked" to the card?
    Last edited by crabber; 20-03-12 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    Thanks for everyones help, I take your points about the size of the country, but I still don't understand why FTA terrestrial channels need all this security, cards locked to boxes, only relevant channels showing in menu, not possible to view FTA channels on C1 or other satellites etc
    As Ive said, the other FTA channels are not part of freeview.

The only real marketing these boxes receive is via the government and freeview, freeview's share holders are the broadcasters, they obviously dont want to give other stations a free ride and let them take viewers and therefore revenue.

If they were available to without activation the anyone could put up a dish and receive VAST, which has less ads the regular tv (sometimes ad space is just a loop of some pretty location), and what ads are shown are for remote areas. Via Terrestrial on the other hand people will get ads for their own area. If people shifted to VAST, terrestrial broadcasters would lose profits, despite these people living within market areas set aside for the commercial stations to advertise in.

To get VAST you must basically either:
    Live in a remote license area.
    Live in a terrestrial license area, but it is known in your location there is no terrestrial service.
    Live in a terrestrial license area otherwise, but can prove (at 10m AGL) that there is insufficient signal.

In other words VAST is the final option for TV reception.

Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    Is work being done on say oscam reading the card, finding out how extra encryption works and excatly how box is "locked" to the card?
    Each box is locked at the factory to each particular card, you cannot use any other card than the one you are supplied with the box. You can not use any third party unit to receive VAST, the only VAST capable unit being sold at this point and at least the short term future is the one you have seen, the UEC DSD4121. The previous system "Aurora" had less security, and people were finding ways of watching stations they were not authorised to, hence the beefed up security this time round.
    Last edited by nbound; 21-03-12 at 07:01 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nbound For This Useful Post:

crabber (21-03-12),OSIRUS (21-03-12),Smacca (21-03-12)

Thanks

Today got my answer. No commercial channels even through I tried a pre activation using my Optus Aurora card and was emailed that a application would succeed.
    Even though the Mystat website, which I checked before ordering the Uec , says that "This is a poor predicted coverage area. You are likely to have difficulties receiving the digital channels some or all of the time." to make sure there had been no changes, I'm left with a useless Vast box and other sorted equipment.
    This whole Vast is turning into something that will outshine even the Insulation fiasco I be thinking.
    Of course if I got Vast it would be a different picture would it not? No exactly the same.
    Of course if I got Vast it would cost them signal strength? No not really.
    Of course if I got Vast it would cost the TV stations extra? Of course not.
    So who loses, just me, a some dumbo living in the regions and trusted.
    Do I sound angry, you bet. I'm out hundreds I can ill afford because of no reason really.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

lurk...you may have mentioned it, but will ask anyhow.
    Was your aurora card activated for the commercial channels as well.

It seems weird that if it were, you would not be automatically granted them on vAST, especially if there were no changes in local terrestrial transmitters taking place.

I did it this way in the East, and am in a similar designated area to you.

Sorry to hear you are getting a different scenario if this is the case.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

The reason for the refuasl is likely because Merredin is slated for terrestrial translator installation.

You would probably find if you were applying now for Aurora, it too would not be approved for commercial channels, on that basis.

If you really want VAST, apply as a 'traveller'.

There is no criteria required to be met to have full access to all channels in your mominated area as a traveller.

Just another story to support how ridiculous Australia is just to receive free to air TV.
    Last edited by mtv; 26-03-12 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    lurk...you may have mentioned it, but will ask anyhow.
    Was your aurora card activated for the commercial channels as well.

It seems weird that if it were, you would not be automatically granted them on vAST, especially if there were no changes in local terrestrial transmitters taking place.

I did it this way in the East, and am in a similar designated area to you.

Sorry to hear you are getting a different scenario if this is the case.
    Yes, completely activated legal Optus Aurora card with both WIn and GWN.
    Nope, closest transmitter still Mawson about 72 KM away. i suppose it just the media letting us know who is now boss in australia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The reason for the refuasl is likely because is slated for terrestrial translator installation.

If you really want VAST, apply as a 'traveller'.

There is no criteria required to be met to have full access to all channels in your mominated area as a traveller.
    I suppose doing the honest way in this country is now a thing of the pass, imagine having to lie just to get FTA, available on every street corner in the city. this is how corruption gets ingrained into society, when honest people need to cheat and lie just to get everyday items, you know, like FTA tv.
    I'm sorry if I sound pissed off, but is most probably because I am.
    The Merredin tower will not reach us and I understand is only a local transmitter.
    Last edited by lurk_relurking; 26-03-12 at 04:01 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lurk_relurking View Post
    I suppose doing the honest way in this country is now a thing of the pass, imagine having to lie just to get FTA, available on every street corner in the city. this is how corruption gets ingrained into society, when honest people need to cheat and lie just to get everyday items, you know, like FTA tv.
    I'm sorry if I sound pissed off, but is most probably because I am.
    The Merredin tower will not reach us and I understand is only a local transmitter.
    I can understand your frustration.

I have friends having a similar problem.

FYI, there is already a terrestrial transmission site listed as operating with ABC digital in Merredin, with other channels to follow:

Site Name: Broadcast Site SE corner of reserve 23793 MERREDIN

ABC Freq 725.500 MHz Horizontal polarisation

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Sorry to here about this Lurk.
    Don't get mad, get even!! Get the Traveler activation.

You may not have read the Traveler registration form, so have a look & when you get down to the Declaration, you will find your probably not lying at all.

"I am applying for access to the VAST services using mobile receiving equipment whilst in areas where adequate digital terrestrial television reception is unlikely."

Have far would you have to stretch the truth for this one.

I think your entitled to get your Sat gear up running on all channels.
    Last edited by Tiny; 26-03-12 at 04:41 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

I have a friend in a similar situation waiting to find out exactly what is proposed for him as a previously self help Analog site is being converted to Digital but he is some 30ks away and the Myswitch site shows this translator isnt intended to cover his area.
    This translator switches over on the 5th of April which is the day they come to see him which should be interesting.

Administrator
    Thanks

Well, you did say you were near Merredin.

Can only go by the info you provide, so a closer indication of your location would be helpful.

The Merredin 'area' is covered by two transmission sites, Merredin itself, of which you're correct that it's low power (150W) and the high-power (300KW)Mawson Trig broadcast site.. see the .

This TX site has three digital channels listed as operating:

SDW42 627.500 MHz

ABCW45 648.500 MHz

SBS48 669.625 MHz

With the other commercial channels to follow.

You said this TX site is around 72km away from you, and depending on terrain, may be viable (but I know only too well how much terrain can impact on reception).

This is starting to go OT, but it's still relevant in the context of the thread as a likely reason for the rejection of your application for VAST commercial channels.

It would be good if we could get clarification/confirmation of planned terrestrial transmission upgrades being your issue, as these kinds of things will impact numerous people all over the country in the lead-up to the completion of the analogge terrestrial shutoff.

The solution for you, as mentioned, is the VAST traveller option.
    Last edited by mtv; 26-03-12 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

I just read that the traveller option is only good for 6 months after which you have to re-apply.
    I wonder if you can re-apply without limit?

Premium Member

Thanks

One member said he was over 4 weeks late in reactivating and the STB hadnt shut done in that time and he had no problem with the next application.
    So far no one has reported seeing any limits imposed on reactivations.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    I just read that the traveller option is only good for 6 months after which you have to re-apply.
    I wonder if you can re-apply without limit?
    Going by the I don't think they care how many times.
    Some Grey Nomads are forever traveling until they die or end up in a retirement home.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Going by the I don't think they care how many times.
    Some Grey Nomads are forever traveling until they die or end up in a retirement home.
    Hmm, well heard a whisper that it might stop soon, don't know if they were big noting or not but he claimed to he has been told that there is plans to setting up a special travelers box that would be fitted with GPS, not in proper area?, no tv for you.

Don't think it will come to be, but who thought the TV stations would be able to play silly games like they do now?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hmm, well heard a whisper that it might stop soon, don't know if they were big noting or not but he claimed to he has been told that there is plans to setting up a special travelers box that would be fitted with GPS, not in proper area?, no tv for you.

Don't think it will come to be, but who thought the TV stations would be able to play silly games like they do now?
    Tell him, Bullshit.
    That would mean all the travelers already registered would have to get a new box. Unlikely.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast