Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vast activation

Thanks

Default Vast activation

Yesterday activated a UEC PVR on the Mysat website. about 30 minutes later the ABC and SBS were alive. Nothing showing for the commercial channels. Sometime between then and 4PM the Western Australian commercial channels appeared on the channel list but the UEC says the card has not been activated for these channels.
    How long does it usually take for the Commercial channels to be activated. THIS is in WA using a Optus Aurora card as entitlement. Last year I tried a test authorization and it went through and the email said I could get Vast because of the Optus card.
    The booklet that comes with the PVR says you have to go to the UEC and register to get the PVR working, is that still true as the UEC PVR I got does not contain any "PVR activation booklet" or sixteen digit number to enter on the UEC website?
    Just a angry aside and a bit of steam venting, but this would have to be the biggest load of bullshit I have ever seen. They do realize this FTA stuff is available in every house, yard and street corner etc in the cities. I don't know who is dumber, them for thinking the "Vast Cockup" up or us for sheeply allowing it happen and falling in line.
    Piracy, what a load of manure.
    Last edited by lurk_relurking; 08-03-12 at 09:54 AM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Rang Mysat to find out what is going on. Now mind you we did apply for approval last year using our Optus card, and they told us we would be entitled to Vast. Now it seems we might not be and have to wait 15 working days for RAB (who the hell they are) to give approval or not.
    Vast, a Vast f__kup would be a more truthful name. Can you withdraw a application for approval?
    Am I the only one that feels we are being unfairly treated in the regions? This is a clowns circus gone to pot?
    Best part, we followed the rules and still looks like we are stuck with a non activated box and no commercial tv. Now see why their worried about pirates, their about the only ones who will get around the rules while honest folks get regulated out of even seeing commercial tv.
    Anyone want to sell a activated box, just joking, that would be a naughty pirate like thing to do. Unless someone does. Humour is a funny thing, so is Vast, but does not make me laugh.
    Last edited by lurk_relurking; 08-03-12 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks

If they dont activate apply for a travellers.

Where abouts are you.
    Last edited by wheelz; 08-03-12 at 12:51 PM.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lurk_relurking View Post
    Vast, a Vast f__kup would be a more truthful name. Am I the only one that feels we are being unfairly treated in the regions? This is a clowns circus gone to pot?
    Welcome to the Australian Federal Government's new Patchwork Digital Television Policy for rural Australia (or the PDTP as they seem to like abbreviation).

The RBA (Regional Broadcasting Australia) is a consortium of broadcasters such as WIN, IMPARJA, Southern Cross Television, Prime and I think even GWN). All of these broadcasters have received 100's of millions in Federal Government handouts and license fee honeymoons to upgrade self-help television sites to digital. Of the 600 or so sites around Australia, they announced they would upgrade just 110. Hence the need for everyone else (those served by the other 490 self help television sites) to have to move to the VAST direct-to-home service. Not free! No there is at least a $220 contribution (plus, plus, plus if you have more than one TV).

SCTV & IMPARJA and WIN & GWN also formed new companies to "manage" the VAST direct-to-home service. These companies also received additional Federal Government funding in the 10's of millions on top of the $300 Million the Federal Government are paying to Optus for space on their C1 satellite for VAST (later to be transferred to D3 - apparently).

If the Regional Broadcasters don't upgrade any more retransmission sites they simply pocket the money from the Fed Gov. By telling the great unwashed to go and get their own dish and a VAST box for each TV they again avoid any retransmission site upgrade costs.

Not allowing VAST card activation is a complete and utter F---up (as you have correctly pointed out). I cannot see (in fact no one can) what is the benefit to the broadcasters of prohibiting access to the commercial channels.

Even regions that are prepared to entirely fund their own self-help retransmission site have been ham-strung every step of the way. The collusion seems to be between the Fed Gov/DBCDE/Digital Taskforce, RBA, OPTUS and UEC with Stephen "con man" Conroy and the RBA broadcasters at the centre of this cluster F*%#. The ACMA has now been reduced to a useless billion dollar bureaucracy caught in the middle of this crap doing whatever the Fed Gov tells them to do.

That about sums it up. And remember “You must love Big Brother. It is not enough to obey him; you must love him.” George Orwell's 1984 and Federal Labour 2012.
    Last edited by beerman; 08-03-12 at 01:24 PM.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beerman For This Useful Post:

jonnyath (17-03-12),lurk_relurking (08-03-12),Tiny (08-03-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
    If they dont activate apply for a travellers.

Where abouts are you.
    Wheatbelt WA near Merredin WA.
    Might have to but just peed off that we need to lie just to get TV.
    Sticking it up our local member about the rule change, how are you suppose to deal with departments when they change the rules at the whim of the broadcasters? Craven mob!
    Can you have more than 1 box on a travelers activation?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Welcome to the Australian Federal Government's new Patchwork Digital Television Policy for rural Australia (or the PDTP as they seem to like abbreviation).
    Beerman, run for the senate.
    What we really need is for people outside the Cities to vote for non politically aligned people. The independents are the ones with power, all the party boys just vote as their told, craven bastards. I think you'll find both sides have not spoken out on our behalf in this mess, or did I miss it.
    Sadly both parties are now the same coin just different faces on each side, but the worse of all, the coin belongs to someone else, not to us or this whole mess would have never got of the ground.
    They are the Hand Maidens of the Media.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Sticking it up our local member about the rule change, how are you suppose to deal with departments when they change the rules at the whim of the broadcasters? Craven mob!
    Government departments do what they like, when they like and as often as they like without fear or favour except when its their heads that might be rolled.
    The whole problem is the Broadcasters own the 'copyright' on the broadcast material and as such can dictate who may or may not view it even though I believe the Government is subsidising VAST the Broadcasters still hold the 'Big Stick'.
    You may have to get 'creative' regarding activating more than one STB on a Traveler permit BUT theres your Brother and Sister and Great Aunty Flo who I am sure are as avid travelers as you are !!!!
    Just remember the word 'Caravan' doesnt just mean ONE but MANY, think about it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

The booklet that comes with the PVR says you have to go to the UEC and register to get the PVR working, is that still true as the UEC PVR I got does not contain any "PVR activation booklet" or sixteen digit number to enter on the UEC website?
    Ignore this part as it seems you have have bought a Vast UEC PVR STB (that is already PVR Ready),

The Part in the Booklet that describes the PVR activation is for the "PVR & Remote control Activation kit" for Standard Vast STB's....... if & when they release the PVR Firmware (software) OTA update....

Yes.....stick it up your local member of parliament, & see if he can get something done about this.....

I'm not sure if you can have more than one Vast STB for travelers Activation....?

Maybe, someone should try..... telling them that with a Single Vast STB you cannot record one channel while watching another channel, (like other Terrestrial Freeview PVR recorders do) hence the need for more than one Vast STB on a travelers Activation ?
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 08-03-12 at 04:34 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

I know I could have lied on my application and almost feel I should have, but I'm in the older age group and I wonder what sort of shit pile we are leaving our kids. I don't remember having to lie before to get something as simple as tv, but now it's seems the only why to get the simple thing's. We seem to be leaving less behind than my parents and grandparents left behind for me.
    Maybe the Pollies are not the problem, maybe we are. Rather than stand up and yell we become lairs and cheats to get what we want. Yeah, talk up copyright, but what about our right to see free to air tv, I think their rights are becoming too important,while Mine and yours seem to be taken no heed of and just throw away.
    I'm thinking of contacting the advertisers on our local stations and advising them as long as the TV stations interfere with my right to FTA TV I will no longer using their business's. Hit the start of the money chain.
    Does anyone if i can cancel the activation?
    Last edited by lurk_relurking; 08-03-12 at 04:49 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You can change a 'fixed' address activation to a 'traveller' activation.

Just make another application as a traveller, using your existing smartcard number as a reference.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (08-03-12),Tiny (08-03-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I know how you feel, unfortunately all the Politicians that you want to stand up to & yell at are liars & cheats, that's how most of them got there, so you might as well go & bang your head against a wall or find away to beat the system like everybody else.

Not sure you can stop the process you have set in motion with your activation, maybe wait the 15 W/Days & see if you get what you want, then everything will be clear.
    I don't think you can apply for Travelers for that box while the activation request is in progress, then I might be wrong. Haven't heard of anyone being rejected for Travelers yet.
    As for 2 box's under Travelers, haven't heard of anyone trying it, so I think Gordon's option sounds good, family members.

It seems everything that we want these days has an extra set of hoops to jump thru, some on fire.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Banned
    Thanks

[quote=lurk_relurking;470964]Yesterday activated a UEC PVR on the Mysat website. about 30 minutes later the ABC and SBS were alive. Nothing showing for the commercial channels. Sometime between then and 4PM the Western Australian commercial channels appeared on the channel list[QUOTE=lurk_relurking;470964] but the UEC says the card has not been activated for these channels.[QUOTE/]

Who told you that or did you read that

QUOTE=lurk-relurking;479964]

Those notes that you are reading refer to the non PVR boxes and will apply when the OTA PVR update is made available for the non PVR. So from your point of view just disregard those notes they don't apply to your PVR box as the activation has already been done.
    I guess that you have already contacted Mysat for an activation because you have all the channels that your entitled to. Question is are you looking at these channels

There is no need for you to consider a Travellers approval as you state you already have approval......is that correct
    Last edited by toyboy11; 08-03-12 at 10:21 PM.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Beerman, run for the senate.
    The last thing on earth I would want to be is a politician. That career is for moraless, compulsive liars (it would appear), but thanks for the vote of confidence.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Premium Member

Thanks

I know I could have lied on my application and almost feel I should have, but I'm in the older age group and I wonder what sort of shit pile we are leaving our kids. I don't remember having to lie before to get something as simple as tv, but now it's seems the only why to get the simple thing's. We seem to be leaving less behind than my parents and grandparents left behind for me.QUOTE:
    You dont have to lie, you just have to be 'Creative' like a politician or Govt Dept is when they 'Spin' the the Truth, as THEY see it !!

QUOTE:Maybe the Pollies are not the problem, maybe we are. Rather than stand up and yell we become lairs and cheats to get what we want. Yeah, talk up copyright, but what about our right to see free to air tv, I think their rights are becoming too important,while Mine and yours seem to be taken no heed of and just throw away.
    I'm thinking of contacting the advertisers on our local stations and advising them as long as the TV stations interfere with my right to FTA TV I will no longer using their business's. Hit the start of the money chain.
    Does anyone if i can cancel the activation?
    No, other than reregistering a STB, there appears to no mechanism to actualy 'Un Activate' one, also your only 'Cutting your nose off to spite your face' by considering that.
    But by all means, whinge, Bitch and Grizzle to the sponsers ( who you wouldnt know about with no reception) because as you say, Money Talks and Sponsors/advertisers dont like the pot to be stirred.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    No, other than reregistering a STB, there appears to no mechanism to actualy 'Un Activate' one, also your only 'Cutting your nose off to spite your face' by considering that.
    But by all means, whinge, Bitch and Grizzle to the sponsers ( who you wouldnt know about with no reception) because as you say, Money Talks and Sponsors/advertisers dont like the pot to be stirred.
    Well what i cant understand is the fact that he already has his box activated as i said above.

I've posted some photos below and would appreciate it if the OP can confirm what Remote he has e:g the right one is for a PVR box and the left is for a non PVR box.

This thread seems to be getting off the topic, will the original OP please explain

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

I also wonder about Travelers Activation

Technically after 6 months if you do not renew it, the channels are turned off

does this mean that it is no longer Vast Activated....?

& if so could you then sell the STB as Unactivated....?

or activate it with another Name ....?
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    Well what i cant understand is the fact that he already has his box activated as i said above.
    Try reading post #2
    "This is a clowns circus gone to pot?
    Best part, we followed the rules and still looks like we are stuck with a non activated box and no commercial tv."
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post

Would perhaps the ABC/SBS remain activated as they are not prohibited anywhere but the 'Commercial Region' chosen switch off untill either reactivated as a 'Traveler' or in an offical VAST area ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-03-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post

I've posted some photos below and would appreciate it if the OP can confirm what Remote he has e:g the right one is for a PVR box and the left is for a non PVR box.

This thread seems to be getting off the topic, will the original OP please explain

Sorry but you have got some confusion going on. The Yast Uec PVR box is a PVR. I think you need to re read as you seem confused.

The box has been activated for ABC and The SBS channels. The placeholders(?) for the commercial channels are there but when you try to view those channels the Box pops up a box informing me that "The smartcard has not been activated for these channels". This commercial channel activation is decided by the Channels through RAB, and is the part I'm upset about(15 working day wait for reply). I'm sorry, I can't make it any simpler, try rereading.

Found another gotcha. Have just realized this piece of crap can't do what a $69 PVR can do. Remember this whole digital thing is suppose to also make a big difference for people who are hard of hearing, Yes, Closed Captions. Well the overpriced UEC can not record and replay the CC so the booklet says. Yep, hard of hearing country viewer, stiff manure folks, shift to the city.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post

Yes! Interesting is it not. We pay top dollar and we seem not to have any rights. Can you sell it? Activated or do you have to cancel the activation. Can you sell it at all?
    A Dogs dinner regurgitated.

• Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast