Thread: New to Garmin a few questions.

Thanks

Default New to Garmin a few questions.

I'm new to Garmin navigators so have a few questions before I plunge into updating and installing maps, cameras and poi's on my new 1450T.

I read in some cases that loading/installing a map can cause the lifetime traffic to stop working when loading the smaller map IMG, and its better to install the new map using the larger mapsource installer. Is his the case or should I not be worried about this when updating the maps with the smaller unlocked img file update?

What's the best source for custom POI files? Especially school zones etc. I downloaded the available ones from POIDB.COM. Also found Trapster. Not sure which one is the better site for these.

Also is there any particular brand of speed of microSD card I need to look for when buying? Going to use it to install Garmin toppo, judging from the download size assume it will need to be installed to SD memory card.
    Last edited by Greg; 11-03-12 at 03:45 PM.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'm new to Garmin navigators so have a few questions before I plunge into updating and installing maps, cameras and poi's on my new 1450T.

Welcome.

I read in some cases that loading/installing a map can cause the lifetime traffic to stop working when loading the smaller map IMG, and its better to install the new map using the larger mapsource installer. Is his the case or should I not be worried about this when updating the maps with the smaller unlocked img file update?

Never had a problem with my lifetime traffic updates after updating City Nav on the unit as per my Tutorial. If someone had a problem they probably deleted something they shouldn't have. Where did you read that?
    I use the .img files update along with some other files appropriate for my 1490T.
    Suggest thoroughly reading my tutorial
    before you start anything Backup your device.

What's the best source for custom POI files? Especially school zones etc. I downloaded the available ones from POIDB.COM. Also found Trapster. Not sure which one is the better site for these.

Your choice here, I use POIDB.COM & anything else I can scavenge.

Also is there any particular brand of speed of microSD card I need to look for when buying? Going to use it to install Garmin toppo, judging from the download size assume it will need to be installed to SD memory card.

I've used SanDisc & Kingston micro SDHC class 4 cards, from 2GB to 8GB in my Nuvi, you can use up to 16GB in your unit.
    Garmin Topo is 2.6GB so at least a 4GB MicroSDHC card will be required.
    Just put the img in a folder called Map. More on that in my Tutorial.
    My answers in blue.
    Hope that helps
    Last edited by Tiny; 11-03-12 at 05:46 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Greg (11-03-12)

Thanks

I Just installed map 2012.40 using full unlocked mapsource map installer to the internal memory card. Problem is that I now have 2 au/nz maps on my Garmin.

Original old map version
    .system\gmapprom.img < old original map. ok to delete?
    .system\gmapprom.sum < licence information. do not delete?

New 2012.40 map
    map\gmapsupp.img < new map generated by mapsource installer

Is it possible to just delete the old map version that is nolonger required without causing harm to the gps operation?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yes, you delete the old map, ignore the .sum file & rename the new map gmapprom.img or you can leave it named gmapsupp.img if you like.

Of course, you made a backup copy of your GPS files should you have any problems

There is little point in keeping the old map, however if you have plenty of room it can stay & you can select which map appears in Tools/Settings/Map/Info.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Yes, you delete the old map, ignore the .sum file & rename the new map gmapprom.img or you can leave it named gmapsupp.img if you like.

Of course, you made a backup copy of your GPS files should you have any problems
    Yes I made a complete backup as always. I'll just delete the old original map and go through the whole process again with the new map and cameras that were just released.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Correct.

Have fun with your new toy.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

One last question. Is it possible to turn off all the POI icons that are displayed on screen when driving and just have the map show without all the buildings showing to clutter the display? EG banks, airports, parks shops, restaurants. etc And just display the safety ones like Cameras and school zones?

Also worked out that Garmin GPS will keep asking for Local location and to agree to the end user licence, resetting all the settings to default on startup. GPS will nolonger do this, once it has bee turned on a acquired its first satellite signal.
    Last edited by Greg; 15-03-12 at 03:39 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Good question, I have a 1490T which is the same as your unit, just with Bluetooth added.

I don't get the POI Icons everywhere on my GPS screen, I do just get the speed & red light camera alerts. I"ll have a look & see if there is a setting for it.

I do see the POI's when looking at the Maps in MapSource.

If you have added those POI's (Banks, Parks etc) yourself, then try removing the file.

Try loading the new map
    Directly load the unlocked gmapprom.img, that's what I use on my GPS.

I Don't load using MapSource, maybe I should try & see if that gets the POI's up on the GPS screen, not that I want them, just to see if that is whats causing it.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi Greg,

had a look thru the menu options on my Nuvi.
    Under Tools/Settings/Proximity Points/alerts (Change) there are options to tick or untick
    *Garmin Safety Cameras
    *Custom POI's

Both are ticked on mine, but the only Custom POI's I've loaded are Safety & Red light cameras & that's all that comes up when driving.

If you still get the banks, parks etc on GPS screen after loading the new map as in last post try unticking the second one at least to see if that hides them
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Also worked out that Garmin GPS will keep asking for Local location and to agree to the end user licence, resetting all the settings to default on startup. GPS will nolonger do this, once it has bee turned on a acquired its first satellite signal.
    If this is a statement then yes. that would be right.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Just a thought Greg, after rereading the last few posts, particularly the edit about the EULA & first sat acquirement.

Would it be possible that the POI's you've been talking about showing up were due to GPS being in demo mode?
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Is there a way to change the default warning chime for the Cyclops safety cameras to something more audible. Or a custom warning sound? At the moment all it does is beep and a signposted icon on the map. Which I don't see since I am looking at the road.

I managed to install custom POI with icon and warning sound EG school zones without a problem. Using POI Loader.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg; 23-03-12 at 11:57 AM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

I Don't know of a way to change the default warning tone.

I can see 2 choices here

1: Turn up the GPS volume.

2: Tools/Settings/Proximity Points/Alerts(Change)/Audio/Single Tone or Continuous Tone

If you want some reading to do, I found this place that has a wealth of information on what you can do with Nuvi's

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Tiny