Thread: Security system for the house, 4CH max

Thanks

Default Security system for the house, 4CH max

Hi,
    would like some expert recommendation of security system for medium size block after some tools have been stolen from my van on my own backyard.

Thieves are coming at NIGHT TIME from one side of the block jumping over the fence and going away on the other side jumping of the fence ... Please see my schematics (and sorry for the quality) ....

There is a garage at the end of the backyard and it is about 10mts from the house to the garage and gardage is about 10mts wide.

So I need to monitor 10x10mts square to be able to record in reasonably good quality, I hope that police will be able to catch them (or I am dreaming?) ...

Anyway I am after a budget system, 4CH max with at least 2-3 day of recording capacity.

I want to position two cameras facing on the house facing both sides of garage ... No sure if I will be able to catch thieves faces if they are going to wear hoodies though

Or would it be better to install one camera on the garade as well ?

I marked position of the camers as c1, c2, c3, c4, c5 ...

Would appreciate any expert opinion on that.

I have been at JayCar and got some eBay recommendations

1. JayCar has got one system for $675 with 500G HDD

2. eBay1:

3. eBay 2:

Last edited by IQtech; 12-03-12 at 11:09 AM.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

I'd be putting one on that 3rd corner of the garage opposite C1 to catch them on their approach. It's hard to jump a fence while keeping your face pointed to the ground. With the correct lens you should get a fair pic.
    I have installed a few Jaycar kits for people who have bought them & here are my findings. The cameras are entry level. The IR is at its best at about 6 metres. Closer than that results in over exposure (whiteout) & further than that you have over exposure in the centre & total darkness round the outside.
    Keep your target area to around 6 m & they are reasonable. I've only had to do a search on one occassion & from memory it was not a pleasant experience. Pretty sure their warranty is still only 12 months.
    My suggestion is go something like a Rhino or Kobi which are still low priced but offer a much better warranty as well as a selection of much better cameras. The other thing you haven't addressed is where the DVR will be located & how you will cable to the cameras.
    OOpps - you're NOT thinking of using wireless are you ?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice ... I will have a look on those brands you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    I'd be putting one on that 3rd corner of the
    garage opposite C1 to catch them on their approach.
    I have got a large tree in that corner where they jump over the fence covering about 5x5mt square

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    The other thing you haven't addressed is where the DVR will be located & how you will cable to the cameras.
    OOpps - you're NOT thinking of using wireless are you ?
    I think I have to decide which cameras are the most important first and then decide where to put DVR in the garage or in the house.

I can do long runs of RG11 cable along the fence and to the back of garage, 50mts of RG11 should not degrade the quality, right ?

Any comments on those eBay systems ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IQtech View Post
    would like some expert recommendation of security system...
    Get off the forum and contact you local security provider to come out and quote you a CCTV solution.

Asking for expert advise and then showing us ebay systems is like walking into a BMW dealership and showing them brochures of

• The Following User Says Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

bss904 (14-03-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Get off the forum and contact you local security provider to come out and quote you a CCTV solution.

Asking for expert advise and then showing us ebay systems is like walking into a BMW dealership and showing them brochures of
    The link(s) to local security providers would be more appropriate that than the one you quoted

Thanks

The link(s) to local security providers would be more appropriate that than the one you quoted
    And how would you prepose he does that when you don't state which geographical area you come from.

Is there a problem with your fingers that you can't google or lookup yellow pages info ?

Your mention of Ebay and Gaycar recommendations says it all.

Good luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bss904 View Post
    And how would you prepose he does that when you don't state which geographical area you come from.

Is there a problem with your fingers that you can't google or lookup yellow pages info ?

Your mention of Ebay and Gaycar recommendations says it all.

Good luck
    not to worry, close the thread ...
    look like the CCTV sub-group on this forum is waste of time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Where are you located? This is the CCTV thread, not the psychic hotline.

Thanks

while I agree with intelliGEORGE, my other advice is on a budget you are unlikely to get worthwhile results.

Mount your cameras down low enough to
    do not use the cameras with . instead use an external IR light or infrascan and spot light.
    10 metres wide WILL NOT give you ID quality. Budget analogue cameras at best will allow you to recognise a person if the scene has the . This means about a scene width of around 5 metres is required.
    Tim Norton

Thanks

I wouldnt go with the ebay system. 100fps @ at the worst resolution possible by an anologue camera! With that DVR your never going to get the resolution that you want.

If you want budget go to your local store (Like jaycar, bosch, security merchants ect...)

Or pay someone to put it in for you (Best option)