Thread: Vic Solar rates and prices

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Vic Solar rates and prices

I made the mistake of not getting a system last year as I planned on moving, which didnt end up happening. So back to square one

Has anyone in Vic had a system 5kw or over instealled recently ? I would be interested in hearing how much you paid and who you used. And more importantly, if you are happy.

I am looking at 5kw as a minimum and a bit of Googling seems to indicate that around 10K should now get you that. I also believe the Vic Premium tariff is no longer available. What companie/s are paying the best rates to buy from you ?

Thanks in advance for any info

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I'm in a silimiar situation as well. I spoke to someone the other day and the feed in varies from around 22c to about 30c. The Vic rebates are going to end in June also.

I'd be interested to hear what's the latest deals.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks

The bloke that lives behind me just got a 4kw system and though I cant remember the exact amount, Red Energy are paying him over 30 cents a kw.

Thanks

I live in Kilmore Vic and used this site to get 3 quotes there is some great information on the site and the bloke that runs it Finn Peacock sent some regular emails explaining what to look for which I found very usefull. I havnt gone ahead yet as The Victorian rebate has dropped and I dont think I will redeem the cost of installation for about 8 years

thomo

Thanks

The big surprise is not just the rate they pay you but how your tariff rates on Electricity consumption changes when you get solar power connected.... New increased peak & off peak rates apply.... do your home work guys....
    Last edited by officemanager; 25-03-12 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Its a growing trend against solar by state governments.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h8fg4 View Post
    I live in Kilmore Vic and used this site to get 3 quotes there is some great information on the site and the bloke that runs it Finn Peacock sent some regular emails explaining what to look for which I found very usefull. I havnt gone ahead yet as The Victorian rebate has dropped and I dont think I will redeem the cost of installation for about 8 years

thomo
    Thanks h8fg4, quite a good site. I have 2 of the 3 quotes so far with the best price being around $9500 for a 5kw system.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by officemanager View Post
    The big surprise is not just the rate they pay you but how your tariff rates on Electricity consumption changes when you get solar power connected.... New increased peak & off peak rates apply.... do your home work guys....
    Thanks for the heads up but could you please elaborate as to what you have seen/heard?

Thanks

I've done a lot of research and decided against it purley because of the 'rates'

I currently pay 19.5c kw/h

I was going for a 3kw system (suntech and SMA) for around $6k
    enquired about my on/off peak rates and they told me it will be 27c KW/h Peak (8am till 11pm).
    and 12.5c KW/h off peak (inc. sat and sun)

Now with the wife pregnant and will be home during peak hours is the dealbreaker.

If my 3.0 system can create 12kw/h a day then it is worthy.
    however my 'outgoing' will be 25c (if i ever get to see it) so 2c /kw/h is great yeh?
    not likely.

We currently use around 8 - 15 kw per day. my quartarly bill is around $350 +/-

So $1400 around year for electricity if it goes up 50% that should equate around 2k.

So +700pa if the price rises 50%. thats 8.5 years to pay back.
    I doubt I'll have this house untill then.

meh I gave up, large outlay for little return, the killer is the on peak, I cooked a roast the other night and used 2.5kw for one meal. I'd rather pay my 20c and know what im going to expect rather than 'ohh i made 8kw today. and tomorrows cloudy.

Seriously, we're paying for their infrustructure, If it was so damned good, why arent they on factory roofs where there is no shading and HUGE amounts of reflections and at the main source of peak demand?

Yeh, I know it doesn't help the residential grid, where every house has 40 appliances no and when the power was installed you were lucky to have 5 appliances.

The father inlaw has 5kw and 66c feed in, and he's a greeny, lucky to use 2kw a day in total. And he's raking it in, we've unfortunatly have missed the boat.

Just the other day a melbourne firm created a panel with upto 800watts output no larger than the current 1580X808.

At the end of the day, I want it, but realised in order for it to actually do something it needs to be 3kw +

Theres no free lunch.
    Last edited by krytox; 02-04-12 at 11:19 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to krytox For This Useful Post:

Mgoldbe1 (03-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    Thanks for the heads up but could you please elaborate as to what you have seen/heard?
    Krytox summed it up quite well.
    When you sign up for solar your tarrif rates increase, granted you get off peak but look at your off peak times for starters... imagine doing your washing in the middle of the night & trying to sleep!!!!
    It is stacked against you.....
    I looked into it.... by the time you outlay in costs and the time it will pay for it self.... well I be in a retirement home by then and the system would probably due for replacement so the cycle start over again....

I will put it in another way, I work for a company that is a high end user of power consumption... I asked them why not install solar power, they stated it was looked into and not viably economical.

As kytox said, you are only helping an infrustructure that is failing to meet demand since the governments are shutting down coal fired generators.

Personally I think it is a con job, if you want to help the enviroment then pay for it.
    Last edited by officemanager; 03-04-12 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks

I've sent my supplier (Origin) the question

Once connected, do I still have off peak power rates as I have now or
    will they change? Will any tarrifs change?

Reply Dear weirdo (not my real name),

There will be no changes that need to be made to either your general light and power tariff or your off peak tariff after the installation of a solar electricity system.

The only change to your account will be the addition of the Feed in Tarif.

Regards,

Energex will pay $0.44/KW and Origin another $0.06/KW = Total $0.50/KW
    I still think this is a good deal.
    Especially with the predictions of power prices going up.

Thanks

do you have a time of use, and 2 way meter?, in WA we had to pay to have them installed

Thanks

Yes, already have a smart meter installed

Administrator
    Thanks

There will be no changes that need to be made to either your general light and power tariff or your off peak tariff after the installation of a solar electricity system.

Regards,

I am also not seeing the alleged negatives.....but would be more than happy to see some figures posted that explain it.

I am paying about $600 a quarter, a 5 kw system will take care of almost all of that. Given thats around $2500 a year and the cost of a 5 kw system is now under $10,000, payback time really doesnt seem to be too long.

Thanks

Regards,

I'm not surprised to hear that especially if you are from Vic....
    Many different power providers with many varying rates and plans, I hope it works for you....
    But remember this, what length of time is your contract?...Can it be changed by the provider? Are their conditions to contract?
    Just read the fine print before you sign and make sure you understand it all.

To tell you the truth I nearly sign up my self until my neighbor showed me his contract/plan and that is where I noticed his tariff rate changed and the introduction of Peak & off peak.

I now have reservations on doing solar panels and just waiting for a bit more time to see where all this works out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by officemanager View Post
    I'm not surprised to hear that especially if you are from Vic....
    Many different power providers with many varying rates and plans, I hope it works for you....
    But remember this, what length of time is your contract?...Can it be changed by the provider? Are their conditions to contract?
    Just read the fine print before you sign and make sure you understand it all.

To tell you the truth I nearly sign up my self until my neighbor showed me his contract/plan and that is where I noticed his tariff rate changed and the introduction of Peak & off peak.

I now have reservations on doing solar panels and just waiting for a bit more time to see where all this works out.
    QLD here.
    The $0.44/KWh will expire in 2028.

Thanks

in VIC, this is what you get:

25 cents govt and around 6 cents on top from most of power resellers. AGL gives you 8 cents on to instead of 6 but their tariff is quite high compare to the rest.

its worth going for 5kW system (around $10,000). on avg it covers your gas bill for winter times too.

with inverters better to stick with SMA or Aurora. with panels Suntec, REC or ET are pretty good for value.