Thread: Duplicate POI entries

Thanks

Default Duplicate POI entries

Are new/updated POIs included with new maps? If so how do you remove the old ones installed on the GPS from previous map versions? Because I noticed that for example, if I search of eating establishments in a particular suburb, some restaurants have changed name yet they are still showing both the old name and the new name at the same location/address. As well as places that have not been in business for at least 2-3 years or more.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

AFAIK the POI's searched for include the Map you are using & Custom POI's.
    If you removed the old map.img when updating then its POI's are removed with it as they are contained in the Map file itself.
    I would think it more than likely that the duplicates on the Map you are seeing for those POI's would come down to Map Compilation data entry errors that have not been corrected by the Map makers, Sensis I believe.
    New ones are added & subtracted in each map update, 4 updates a year.

They are not perfect by any means, on a recent trip to Sydney, I searched CN AU & NZ 2012.4 for Hospitals to find the quickest way to Royal North Shore Hospital, it wasn't even listed under Hospitals So I had to enter a nearby street address to get a rout to the area. I'm sure they will improve with time.

If you have been adding custom POI's from POI data bases then I guess duplicates are inevitable.

Hope that helps
    Edit: Just looked on the Map using MapSource & the POI for The RNS Hospital is there, but it still isn't listed in the Find Places Under Hospitals
    Last edited by Tiny; 23-03-12 at 09:27 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Agree with you there. Even the navigate to POI does not always find the closest destination.

EG Navigate to Hospital tells me the nearest hospital is 28km away when the closest one is like 1km from the current location. And can be found typing the address. Agree does not find Mona Vale Or Royal North Shore Hospital.

Navigate to Shopping center does not include all shops like Some Coles, all Woolworths and a Kmart in my local area. Very poor.

Maybe when they change to Navteq maps things will improve.
    Last edited by Greg; 23-03-12 at 11:46 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Greg For This Useful Post:

Tiny (23-03-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Maybe when they change to Navteq maps things will improve.
    Maybe not, just been reading info on another site, US based.
    Garmin already use Navteq for maps there & seems lots of errors there as well.
    They even have an error reporting form on their webpage

So I guess human error will always be a part of our Electronic Devices.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."