Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rebooting itself everytime i go to change channel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Br1 View Post
    if others have not been getting resets then I guess I will need to check a few things . I do have some reason to suspect the PSU because there is a small screen flicker that has developed over the past few months . (maybe filter caps drying out) On the other hand I didnt touch the dish when I got rid of Aurora so I might dig out the meter and tweak it up. As to the software I have done nothing towards an update other than leaving the box on all the time. The decoder is just a year old you would think it would be still reliable but reading a few posts they dont seem to popular especially the Epg etc, but no one seems to have had electronic failure.
    There's been a few failures reported on the forum, a box of mine included.

I've found VAST requires critical dish/LNB alignment and is far more fussy about it than Aurora, so you may well find slight adjustment will help.

There was an issue with earlier firmware with some LNB frequency stability, causing problems with OTA updates.

The fix for that was to do a manual update..... instructions here:

If you're still having issues (apart from this current widespread rebooting one) it would be best to start your own thread.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Br1 (25-03-12)

Thanks

Does anyone else have a slight flickering of the on screen display since this event happened? Or maybe I just didnt notice it before.
    "Tv or not Tv that is the question"

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    There's been a few failures reported on the forum, a box of mine included.

I've found VAST requires critical dish/LNB alignment and is far more fussy about it than Aurora, so you may well find slight adjustment will help.

There was an issue with earlier firmware with some LNB frequency stability, causing problems with OTA updates.

The fix for that was to do a manual update..... instructions here:

If you're still having issues (apart from this current widespread rebooting one) it would be best to start your own thread.
    Thanks Mtv all noted and I will attend to it in the next couple of weeks.
    "Tv or not Tv that is the question"

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Everything was working here normaly after 11am when I arose so now to see what happens.
    Its a presumption that somehow the NINE programing created the 'crash' and its associated with the new Terrestial channel called 'Extra' due to be added on Monday 26th.
    At first you wouldnt see a connection but then the NINE programming has to originate from a single source and then be sent out for 'Distibution' to both Satelitte and Terrestial locations across Australia and Maybe somewhere, somehow things went slightly askew.
    It doesnt matter what name is shown or channel number used or if its on 'Delay', its still comming from the one place to begin with.
    You could understand a loss of NINE'S programming but why did it hit all of VAST and cause such a meltdown?
    I checked and the new 'Extra' isnt showing yet in my Terrestial area but its early hours yet.
    It goes to show that with a little thought and application, even the latest and greatest can still come crashing down at a keystroke......................
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

I wonder if it affected any of the terrestrial rebroadcast sites?

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Its a presumption that somehow the NINE programing created the 'crash' and its associated with the new Terrestial channel called 'Extra' due to be added on Monday 26th.
    VAST probably wont even carry EXTRA (like they dont carry TV4ME).

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    I wonder if it affected any of the terrestrial rebroadcast sites?
    3 options:
    *Completely unaffected.
    *Just Imparja down
    *All down

If its a firmware issue which is what it seems like at this stage id be betting they went through completely unscathed. Pure speculation on my part of course, the only remote transmitters anywhere near me carry just ABC (in analog only).

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nbound View Post
    If its a firmware issue which is what it seems like at this stage id be betting they went through completely unscathed. Pure speculation on my part of course, the only remote transmitters anywhere near me carry just ABC (in analog only).
    Apparently the VAST operators fully intend to make changes to the firmware on a regular basis. This may relate to:

• Channels moving to other transponders
    • New channels such as TV4ME and EXTRA (hope not)
    • Addition of LCN numbers and SI tables if more channels added
    • Correction of time tables after daylight savings

If/When they decide to run interative material and activate return path function there will also be further reconfiguration of the firmware.

How effective any firmware changes are remains to be seem. However, you should expect some hiccups along the way.
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Thanks

Default Good from bad

Funny thing is - after spending an hour or more stuffing around with my box on Saturday, I was prepared to accept that it was stuffed and would need to be "sent back" for repair/ replacement. The up-side of this thought was that I could have insisted the PVR update be installed at the same time. I was quite disappointed to discover, next day via this Forum, that it was business as usual.
    Don't mind the $69 cost - more the down-time involved in the freight process.
    Still looking forward to "SOON" !!!!

• Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345