Thread: I dont get azimuth degrees East

Thanks

Default I dont get azimuth degrees East

Please help. I really dont get some of these readings of azimuth in degrees East (did that make sense).
    I do understand North to be 0deg or 360deg. I was assuming to find a sat, it could be a certain degree to the East or West of North. But some of these readings just dont make sense.
    Ok, today I read about GE23. Lyngsat states it is 172 deg East. Most of our sats are in the north??? OR should I use the direct opposite, assuming these directions are for the Northern hemisphere. IE. Add 180 deg to 172, to give me 352. Putting GE23 near Measat2.
    I need a tutorial

Thanks
    Gonz.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

The satellite position is given in degrees of longitude, generally east or west of Greenwich. As the satellites are in an equatorial orbit ie 36,000km or so directly over the equator, this provides an exact location of their position in space.

To successfully point an antenna you will need to use one of the many which calculate azimuth and elevation for your actual location on earth from the satellites location e.g 172 East.

To get an idea of what the spacecraft actually 'sees', have a look .

Thanks

For a ruff idea of az/el simply use lyngsat's (u need java). It's putting down a in AU/NZ.

Thanks

Thanks for that, its not something I can calculate in the paddock. I liked the sat view site, Neat!

Thanks for your responses.

Gonz.

Thanks

Gorbtrak is also pretty good. Download that program and you can enter in all kinds of details like where you are, your elevation, height of building, height of trees, etc and it can tell you how long the shadows of the tree will be at a certain time of day, etc etc...

Very clever program and it'll also print out diagrams of how to set up your dish to make it work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    Please help. I really dont get some of these readings of azimuth in degrees East (did that make sense).
    Hi Gonz. Wellcome to Austech.
    First of all, in your profile you have place where you can specify your location. This is not to solicit you with spam e-mails, it is more needed by your posts repliers in order to provide you with best possible advice. So please do a favour to yourself, update your profile.
    Second is the answer to your question. If the satellite position is stated as 172 degrees east you need to subtruct your position from it. For example if you leave at 156 degrees east you need to move your dish by 172 - 156 = 16 degrees from the true north. True north is not the same as magnetic north as indicated by compass. There is a 12 degrees error (if I am not nistaken).
    So, depending on your location, you need to move your dish different angle in order to see soome signals there.

Thanks

Tks Fromaron. I will get onto my profile! That other info is also great, thanks mate!

Gonz.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    ......Second is the answer to your question. If the satellite position is stated as 172 degrees east you need to subtruct your position from it. For example if you leave at 156 degrees east you need to move your dish by 172 - 156 = 16 degrees from the true north. True north is not the same as magnetic north as indicated by compass. There is a 12 degrees error (if I am not nistaken).
    So, depending on your location, you need to move your dish different angle in order to see soome signals there.
    Hi Gonz,

I'm glad you worked something out from that lot.

Went right over my head

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool A practical exercise.

G'Day " Gonz ",
    Just taking a rough guess where you may live, say central NSW.
    You wont get too many channels from the Sat that you mention.
    So I've taken the liberty of giving you the information for the Optus Sat. C1.
    As with all geo-stationary Sats, it is located in the "Clarke Belt".
    This belt is directly above the equator at approximately 36,000 Kms height. As a general rule there are 180 slots, 2 degrees apart, measured from directly above Greenwich Observatory. There may be more than one sat in each slot, and as with all locations on earth are measured E and W of Greenwich.

To ascertain where to point your dish in azimuth and elevation, you need to consult one of the many 'Dish Pointing Charts' available.

Your Location in Google Earth
    Latitude: -32.245°
    Longitude: 148.604°

Satellite Data
    Name: 156.0E Optus C1
    Distance: 36982km

Dish Setup Data
    Elevation: 51.6°
    Azimuth (true): 13.7°
    Azimuth (magn.): 2.4°
    LNB skew: 11.5° ****(You also need to add the Preset Skew(40 Deg) peculiar to Optus Satellites).

This information obtained from

Where you can obtain a Satellite view of your probable location. Just input the latitude and longitude above. Happy Hunting,
    Kindest Regards " The Druid ".