Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off road maps (Hema and so on)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

Default Off road maps (Hema and so on)

I noticed that in most 4WD forums the posting of maps is not allowed.
    I also noticed that for some people ther is a huge demand for proper off road maps in digital form.
    As you know you can get most areas in digital form from Hema and some other companies but often at a high price and not always as detailed as you like.
    So I was wondering if there would be enough interest for a map collection here?
    The last Hema collection I have was kindly donated to me by a nice member here but is from 2008.
    I digitised a few paper maps for personal use into the OZI and ECW format as well as some maps from online sources.
    My main goal would be to get a good collection over the time that is based on current data and not in detail levels that are only good for an overview.
    For those interested I could provide a tutorial on how to convert a paper map into the common ECW or OZI formats, if you need other formats it is no problem to convert those.
    In some cases and for maps that I have personal interest in I might offer to convert the paper maps if provided.
    I also started experimenting with the conversion of Garmin maps but it is painfully slow as huge amounts of data need to be processed.
    A 150 Garmin img file can result in over 250GB of BMP files that need to be combined and calibrated.
    And so far it is only possible with free and unlocked maps - and even there with limitations as not all map details can be easily converted in all cases.

If you're active in some 4WD forums talk to your mates and hopefully we can cover Australia in all detail
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downunder35m For This Useful Post:

Hugh (11-04-12),ol' boy (07-03-18)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    I noticed that in most 4WD forums the posting of maps is not allowed.
    I also noticed that for some people ther is a huge demand for proper off road maps in digital form.

If you're active in some 4WD forums talk to your mates and hopefully we can cover Australia in all detail
    Have some and keen to share.

Thanks

What maps can you offer robocop?

Well, I start with some of the maps I finnished:
    All my maps will be in the new OziExplorer OZFX3 format, with a corresponding .map file for ease of use.
    If there is still high demand (not just a single user) I might think of uploading some of the maps in ECW format as well.

1,2GB From the Hema 2008 set
    12mb, just for an overview like a basemap from the Hema 2008 set
    180mb these are detailed maps from the Hema 2008 collection.

26mb generated from online data based 2011
    550mb this pack contains the Hema 2008 maps (only the main maps not all the little inserts). It also contains a map of the Otways and for the Kinglake Black ranges area that I scanned from detailed paper maps and converted into digital form.

Currently I'm trying to convert the Tracks4Australia map into the OZI format, but if you ever tried to convert a Garmin vector map into a raster map you'll know my problems
    Last edited by Downunder35m; 08-04-12 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks

Would be nice if users could share their collection of paper maps as well.
    I simply guess that apart from the 4WD forums everyone interested in maps for AU woukd come here and with the help of Google even more might find the way
    Since not everyone knows how to get from paper to OZI, here are some basic instructions:
    1. make sure the map you selected has all info on it you need to properly calibrate the map!
    To best is always having a grid with the coordinates covering the whole map, plus the info about map datum and map projection.
    This info is usually found in a box together with additional info like date of print, copyright and so on.
    2. scan the map - don't use a camera as you won't be able to get accurate results.
    Make sure you have an overlap while scanning that covers at least 1cm - this will avoid missing data in the end.
    Depending on the capabilities of your system and the size of the map use a resolution of 600 more DPI.
    You might end up with huge amounts of data, but if you use the proper programs you can save each part as a PNG file with 48 colors.
    This is the prefered type for OZI
    3. most tuts would now tell you to combine the images you just created so you have it easier with the calibration.
    I however tend to say it is in fact easier to calibrate each scanned part.
    Why?
    a) merging a big map can be very frustrating and even more time consuming.
    Programs for that are mostly for cams and will correct error that are not there resulting in a map that looks bend in all directions.
    b) depending on the size of the map you will need massive amounts of RAM to work with the files - my 8GB are often not enough!
    c) parts with own calibration info are more accurate than a whole map that was stitched manually and only calibrated as whole.
    To calibrate the map use OziExplorer.
    Make sure to use the datum and prjection info found on the map.
    It is enough to use two points on opposite corners of the map to calibrate it.
    The methods for multipoint calibration claim to have more accuracy but are only necessary if the ictures are already distorted or you have no info on datum and projection.
    Save the individual map parts after calibration.
    4. once all parts are calibrated use Ozi mapmerge to combine them into a single map.

If you don't use OziExplorer for your off road needs you'll most likely need maps in the ECW format - like for the use with ttmaps on a Tomtom.
    You can do the above calibration with the program Global Mapper as well and to combine them you simply load all parts and export them as a single ECW file.
    It is also possible to open OZI OZFX files to be converted directly with Global Mapper.

Edit: just noticed that the new img2ofzx is no longer kompatible with Global Mapper.
    This means files created with the new version can not be opened or converted in Global Mapper anymore.
    The last working version (know to me at least) is the 3.03.
    If you want to share your files with other so that they can use them for other programs than OZI please make sure to use the 3.03 version to convert your files to OZFX3.
    Last edited by Downunder35m; 08-04-12 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks

After about a week the new map is finally finnished:
    - about 1,6GB
    It was created from the Garmin map found at
    Since there is not much out there to convert Garmin vector maps into good raster maps I could only extract the roads and tracks not the user uploaded track logs.
    You will notice that most names for tracks are missing, but that was the case in the original data.
    From my tests the data seems to be accurate and almost complete.
    I noticed that only open tracks are included but no management tracks of closed fire fighting tracks, which at least for me is not problem since you are not allowed to use those tracks anyway.
    All of Australia is covered and I tried to get as close as I could to a proper 1:50000 scale factor.
    The pixel scale is 1:10 meaning one pixel in the map equals 10m in the real world in 100% zoom.
    To generate this data I had to convert over 300GB in BMP files, combine them, correct the colors and reduce the amount colors to finally create this ECW file.
    I've done some tests and it looks really cool if you activate the 3D features in OZI or other mapping software, you need the terrain data though.
    You can also use this map (or parts of it) to combine satellite images with the track infos, together with terrain data it gives a real realistic view of where you are in reality.

The OZFX3 map will take a bit longer as I only have 8GB of Ram and a slow QuadCore CPU, making map convertions painfully slow.
    Once finnished I will share the OZFX3 map as well.
    Be aware that I did not include a .map for the ECW map as I will upload a seperate map exclusive for OziExplorer.
    Password as usual: downunder

Thanks

Does anyone know of a simple way to cut a big map into several smaller parts using OziExplorer?
    I'm having a bit of trouble with the new topo map as I only have 8GB of ram but would need about 20GB more to handle the file to be converted so that it can be used in other programs too.
    Of course the map is protected making a normal export impossible
    Already tried the usual suspects, GlobalMapper, GPSmapEdit, Makeimage and several other tools.
    Either they refuse due to the protection of the map or they can't handle the file as it has a mem size of over 17GB.
    This stupid OziExplorer can do almost anything, so how is it possible I can't find a function to save the part of the map that I need into a seperate file??
    Any help and tipps are welcome!

Thanks

Update:
    Just to get it all in one posting...

The user precious donated quite a few maps for me to download and convert, so I can offer now most of the Hema 2011 collection
    Also added my other maps.
    Some of the Hema 2011 maps were protected so it was impossible to convert them directly into ECW maps or any other format for that matter.
    I could solve that problem and also included these former protected maps into the ECW collection.
    For all never ECW files the complete set of additional files are included so that you can easily convert them to other formats you might prefer.
    I've also gone through the effort of converting all Hema 2011 maps into the new OZFX3 format which is faster and offers better quality.

These are all state maps as single maps
    These are all state maps as single maps
    These are all state maps combined into one big map covering all of Australia.
    I removed all borders around the maps and changed the projection to give a less distorted image.
    You might notice some cut text or area where two maps were merged but all is matched perfectly by combining calibrated maps instead of stitching the pictures together.

These are the detailed single maps in different scales and projections.
    List of included files:
    Boodjamulla National Park
    Boonoo Boonoo National Park
    Cape Range National Park
    Cape York Tip
    Cape York
    Central East NSW
    East Gippsland
    Flinders Ranges National Park
    Flinders Ranges
    Flinders_Island
    Francois Peron National Park
    Fraser Island
    GE_Inset_A
    GE_Inset_B
    GE_Inset_C
    GE_Inset_D
    GE_Inset_E
    Girraween and Bald Rock National Parks
    Goldfields Region
    Goldfields_Esperance_Main
    Great Desert Tracks - North Central
    Great Desert Tracks - North East
    Great Desert Tracks - North West
    Great Desert Tracks - South Central
    Great Desert Tracks - South East
    Great Desert Tracks - South West
    Gregory National Park
    High Country Victoria East
    High Country Victoria West
    Kalbarri National Park
    Karijini National Park
    Keep River National Park
    Kennedy Range National Park
    Kimberley
    King_Island
    Lakefield National Park
    Lakefield NP-Hann River
    Lamington National Park
    Margaret River Wine Region
    Mid West WA
    Millstream Chichester National Park
    Mount Augustus National Park
    Mount Remarkable National Park
    Nhulunbuy
    North East NSW
    Pilbara and Coral Coast
    Purnululu NP Inset
    Purnululu NP
    Rudall River National Park
    Simpson Desert 1250k
    Simpson Desert 500k
    South East NSW
    South West Corner WA
    Sundown National Park
    The Red Centre
    Top End and Gulf
    Top End-Darwin
    Top End-Kakadu National Park
    Top End-Litchfield National Park
    Tropical North QLD
    Vulkathunha - Gammon Ranges National Park

This set contains maps of some of the protected areas around AU
    List of included files:
    Bribie Island
    Brisbane Forest Park East
    Brisbane Forest Park West
    Cooloola
    Cradle Mountain - Lake St Clair
    Cradle Mountain
    Fraser Island
    Girraween and Bald Rock NP
    Moreton Island
    Mt Mee Forest Reserve
    Sundown NP

This map is still in OZF2 format as I was not able to handle the huge amounts of data for a direct convertion.
    Currently trying to find a usable way to remove the DRM protection and reduce the data so that I can convert the map properly.
    The map uses over 17GB Ram if fully loaded which is preventing all normal ways of getting it into other formats.
    So give me a few days to get that sorted, if you don't care about the improvements of the OZFX3 format you can use the above link, otherwise I suggest to wait until I can finnish the map in OZFX3 and ECW.

Now the maps that are not published by Hema:

This map set has a filedate of 2009 and seems to be pretty accurate

This map comes from Meridian Productions and is dated 2003

Generated from a Garmin map, but no info on the Bluechart version or who created it.

Last but not least the maps I created:

It was created from the Garmin map found at
    Since there is not much out there to convert Garmin vector maps into good raster maps I could only extract the roads and tracks not the user uploaded track logs.
    You will notice that most names for tracks are missing, but that was the case in the original data.
    From my tests the data seems to be accurate and almost complete.
    I noticed that only open tracks are included but no management tracks of closed fire fighting tracks, which at least for me is not problem since you are not allowed to use those tracks anyway.
    All of Australia is covered and I tried to get as close as I could to a proper 1:50000 scale factor.
    The pixel scale is 1:10 meaning one pixel in the map equals 10m in the real world in 100% zoom.
    To generate this data I had to convert over 300GB in BMP files, combine them, correct the colors and reduce the amount colors to finally create this ECW file.
    I've done some tests and it looks really cool if you activate the 3D features in OZI or other mapping software, you need the terrain data though.
    You can also use this map (or parts of it) to combine satellite images with the track infos, together with terrain data it gives a real realistic view of where you are in reality.

The OZFX3 map will take a bit longer as I only have 8GB of Ram and a slow QuadCore CPU, making map convertions painfully slow.
    Once finnished I will share the OZFX3 map as well.
    Be aware that I did not include a .map for the ECW map as I will upload a seperate map exclusive for OziExplorer.

26mb generated from online data based 2011 - it contains both the OZFX3 and the ECW map

I created this mapset from the V9.5 Bluechart pacific.
    It is highly detailed and contains all signals, channel markers and depth info.
    If I find the time I will update that map to the new Garmin G2 version.

This map is in 1:25000 and I created it from the Rooftop map dated 2009

So, like the Looney Tunes: That's all folks!
    PW: downunder

• The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Downunder35m For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Antpd (27-04-15),bluegrass (29-04-12),diemonty (04-05-12),gordonwh40 (09-05-15),Hugh (25-04-12),jamesv (20-04-12),jonnyath (10-06-21),JustinEVC (11-01-13),lackey1 (30-12-12),mickc (19-04-12),oldsalt (03-05-15),precious (18-04-12),puca (01-05-12),rastus555 (07-08-12),rastus86 (19-04-12),wack (01-05-12)

Thanks

Hi guys I have been trying to download the files in the above posts but all I get is redirected to a site call Linksave.com and no where to download the files. Am I doing something wrong?

Adrian
    Last edited by adrianfu; 21-04-12 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

No, nothing wrong.
    When there clivk on the single arrow next to the download link.
    If asked for a PW, check above.

Thanks

Retried and the links work. Second time around there is more info on the webpage that wasnt there earlier.
    Joys of computing I suppose

Adrian

Thanks

Downunder,
    I've a CD called Adventurer Maps - Ghost Towns Explorer.
    This is of the general Walhalla area in Vic.
    Looking at the files they are from 2002. There are a few ozf and the rest is in ozf2 format. I can upload them if you think they are suitable.

Thanks

Don't even know the area, but if they are good the users will like them.

Thanks

Victorian Ghost Town Explorer Maps.

26 Maps of the Gippsland Gold Mining areas such as Walhalla, Matlock, Jericho etc

Last edited by bluegrass; 01-05-12 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Clarify

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluegrass For This Useful Post:

Downunder35m (01-05-12),scubadoo (02-05-12)

Thanks

I corrected the names and map files as well as converting them into the ECW and OFZX3 format.
    Most .map files contained wrong info on the map names or filenames used.
    Even if the maps are a bit old (some from 1992) they are very detailed and might be still of help.
    Find the link for the Ghost towns
    Password as usual
    Be aware that inside the linksave page you'll find both the OZFX3 archive and the ECW archive - so please select the correct one for your needs!
    The ECW files contain all needed additional files so that you can use/convert them for other systems too.
    Last edited by Downunder35m; 02-05-12 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    I corrected the names and map files as well as converting them into the ECW and OFZX3 format.
    Apologies - I did not check the map files before posting. As stated images were ozf or ozf2. I just condensed them off my harddrive.

Thanks

LOL, no problem - I've seen worse when it comes to old collections.
    At least it was no problem to correct them and make working maps out of it.
    But I guess you never really tried all the maps in a (semi) real enviroment

you can find the elevation data for Australia.
    The files are hundreds of singles sorted by Longitude and Latitude if you only need a small area.
    The data is either used to display your real height on ground level, which is good for pilots in small aircrafts or gliders - or you can use it to generate 3D maps that show how your surroundings look in real.

Here are two example of the 3D look - the second is generated by Ozi.

As you can see you get a real 3D feeling and not just some lines as on the topo maps.
    Basically any map will turn 3D with the data and right program.
    However, ttmaps will only show the ground level height in addition to the height coming from the GPS.
    Jean-Claude did that to provide correct height data for pilots of small aircrafts.

Thanks

Default Issues with download

I try to download but NOD32 blocks a site linked to the site -
    "http://www.prizegiveaway.org/winner/?sid=ado&sub2=3a.oCcLiHAANr9wAAAAAALcULQAAAAAAAgAA AAIAAAAAAP8AAAACEo0tLwAAAAAAEVUmAAAAAACK5zsAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AABg.hEAAAAAAAIAAwAAgD8AFywhJjcBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA= ,eJwLCS5zrkgMzM52z3H38zEuKskNDjYIMzAuSQ0zM8n3MAlLN NEFAOQnC6Y=&sub5=3220"

Anyone else have the same issues

cheers

Greg

Thanks

You are clicking on the wrong stuff.
    Don't click on the ads or pop ups.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I try to download but NOD32 blocks a site linked to the site -
    "http://www.prizegiveaway.org/winner/?sid=ado&sub2=3a.oCcLiHAANr9wAAAAAALcULQAAAAAAAgAA AAIAAAAAAP8AAAACEo0tLwAAAAAAEVUmAAAAAACK5zsAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AABg.hEAAAAAAAIAAwAAgD8AFywhJjcBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA= ,eJwLCS5zrkgMzM52z3H38zEuKskNDjYIMzAuSQ0zM8n3MAlLN NEFAOQnC6Y=&sub5=3220"

Anyone else have the same issues

cheers

Greg
    I have given up even trying to download from Linksave, I don't want to win an iphone, choose a wedding date, or baby name or anything else and every single time I have tried their download manager it has eaten my computer.

Maybe some kind person can explain htf it works.
    Last edited by MrRadio; 07-05-12 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks

The files are not hosted at linksafe - linksafe is a link protecting service.
    If you have so many problems I suggest to use Jdownloader, simply copy the link from my posting into the clipboard and JD will do the rest, including to prompt you for passwords, captchas or whatever is causing you the problem.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast