Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not so APPLE anymore

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default Not so APPLE anymore

Macintosh's are better cause they don't get virii !

Yeah OK . . . .

"People used to say that Apple computers, unlike Windows PCs, can't ever be infected - but it's a myth," said Timur Tsoriev, an analyst at Kaspersky Lab.

hxxp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Of course he would push that.
    Opens a whole new market for them.

Banned

Thanks

tru dat billy goat, beings they've sold the $h!t out of their product to the windows pc world!

chr!$t, KAV is now as bad as norton!

Thanks

Any computer can get a virus, there are just not as many written for Mac (and Linux, and other OSes). Other arguments may be made about the speed of security updates/patches (especially in the cases of Linux, BSD, etc.)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I know it sounds hard to say it but if one wanted to get some MAC/Apple virus protection what is available and what are the recommendations

Thanks

there a known one out there called "Flashback" - it is a malware

checkout

and a free antivirus -

f
    有段者

Thanks

Macintosh viruses (virii?) are nothing new. I used to have a fairly extensive 68k Mac virus "zoo" on various floppy disks.

One that was extremely common was . If the MacInTalk software speech synthesiser was installed, a voice would occasionally come out of the Mac saying "Don't panic". It would have been a fairly harmless prank, but for the fact that the code was buggy and inadvertently caused stability problems.

Banned

Thanks

this is the flashback that freakee1 mentioned

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57410325-92/botnet-goes-on-mac-attack/?tag=nl.e496

Thanks

I have heard the same there are mac viruses out there but they are harder to come by and Kazpersky are just like all the other viruses scanners out there trying to make people come back to Windows and PC's and now I only speak for myself when I say alot of people I know have gone to Mac's..

Banned

Thanks

google it: MAC use worldwide is 2.06 percent
    MAC use US is 3- 10% depending on who you talk to!

Thanks

Default and another one

for those with Microsoft Office for mac........

有段者

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

As with anything, popularity gets targeted.

Windows cops the most because most people use it. Increased Mac popularity will lead to exactly the same thing (and is), as will Linux if everyone puts it on their device.

Mac users that think otherwise really need to get a sense of reality.

Thanks

As Sanity (and others) says, as the market share of the Mac goes up, so it becomes a bigger and more worthwhile target for bad guys to target.

The last few years has seen an increase of serious attacks on Macs and if anything, we are a softer target for the scammers because most are complacent. We never had to worry about it to the level of PC owners and most don't know how to protect themselves. Even the average Windows user knows the basics. The long term, average Mac user knows nothing!

I use It detected some low level malware on my iMac when I installed it so there is stuff out there for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    popularity gets targeted.
    Spot on. It's going to be exciting in all the wrong ways when the first major exploit for the iPhone / iPad is found. The Apple mobile devices are a huge and very tempting target for those who create malware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    As with anything, popularity gets targeted.

Windows cops the most because most people use it. Increased Mac popularity will lead to exactly the same thing (and is), as will Linux if everyone puts it on their device.

Mac users that think otherwise really need to get a sense of reality.
    Also partly that a lot of windows users have wised up and gotten some sort of protection. Whilst the really scared people moved over to Mac and have no protection. So say Mac has 5% of computer users and 90% of Windows users have good AV, why wouldn't you go infect all the macs out there.

Its why there is so much crap in the Android Market, easy money.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Viri are and will stay a Windows and now an Android problem.

I am not in the Apple world but I believe most Apple users stick to the standard trialled and tested applications for which they happily pay a lot of money and don’t play around with risky free/shareware.
    You will find very few Apple users downloading (hacked) Apple applications from the Usenet or torrents which is where viri thrive.

Then there are dozens (possibly even a hundred) Linux distros that are often updated usually every 6 months. A virus would need to be a binary that matches that individual distro.

Unless Linus users purposely download the source code of the Virus, become superuser and compile it them selves (who in the freaky hell would do that), I can not see a virus being passed around... and then it is likely to fail due to lacking dependencies.

Linux users download software from the distro’s repos, which can be considered a safe haven,
    just like the Apple store protects their mobile devices from getting infected, unless they jailbreak....

A risk might be Java that runs on all platforms but I believe it has to stay within it’s environment. I don’t know enough about this, perhaps somebody can enlighten me.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quick check for a recent exploit.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I am not in the Apple world but I believe most Apple users stick to the standard trialled and tested applications for which they happily pay a lot of money and don’t play around with risky free/shareware.
    You will find very few Apple users downloading (hacked) Apple applications from the Usenet or torrents which is where viri thrive.
    So what you are saying is the jailbreak stuff is used on MS windows?

Apple users are TICKLED to death when they can get around the APPLE monopoly!

or am I wrong about WHO uses the jailbreak software and WHY???
    Last edited by cmangle; 03-05-12 at 05:02 AM.

Banned

Thanks

I googled, "how many ipads are jailbreaked?"

c/p from google search . . .

"Now that 3GS iPhone are being sold for $50 and the used unlocked iPhone market is huge. How big is the market and how many phones are jailbroken? This is the largest category on eBay unlocked iPhones. We think that greater than 10% of iPhones have been jailbroken and possibly 20-30 million iPhones unlocked? We were not surprised to see that Apple supporters quickly tried to bury the link in Google. Here is a story on how to jailbreak the iPhone 4 for T-Mobile and think this is one of the major reasons why AT&T is acquiring T-Mobile to prevent this massive defection that is going unpublicized."

I take it nomeat your one of the apple supporters burying the details?

and another reason to maybe venture out of the apple protected sw church . . .

c/p from link below . . . .
    "If a jailbreak app can bring multitasking to the iPad, It’s hard to come up with a compelling reason why Apple can’t do the same."

hxxp://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/jailbroken-ipads-can-now-multitask-apps/20132

Granted that might expose you to virus, but what do you want, apple restricted sw or multi-tasking?

Just asking not kicking!

chris
    Last edited by cmangle; 03-05-12 at 04:59 AM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

The topic was about users of Apple PC/ laptops, not iOS devices, at least that was what I understood.

I am aware that there is a large crowd of iPHONE/iPAD users that find more satisfiying performance from their portable devices once they have been jailbroken.

I only mentionened the portables at the end of my post (and unfortunately the word jailbreak) in regard to the way a user can feel fairly safe about not picking up a virus if they stick to the offical sources:

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Linux users download software from the distro’s repos, which can be considered a safe haven,
    just like the Apple store protects their mobile devices from getting infected, unless they jailbreak....
    I am no Apple i-fan. I only got a smashed iPOD for $20 from Ebay, fixed it, jailbroke it and use it for experiments. It has some similarities with Linux.
    I am only interested in how stuff works and fixing things... and making them work better.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast