Thread: Ads ad nauseum

Thanks

Default Ads ad nauseum

Tried to watch "Titanic" the other night but the ads and "fillers" were too much to bear - approximately 5 minutes of program and 5 minutes of drivel drove us to the ABC - is this legal ? Its driving me crazy !!!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

In the 'Good Ol Days' many of the TV channels would leave the film (yes,FILM) running and go for the ads and returning onto a new part of the story.
    I dont know if they did this by actively selecting where to insert the ads or it was blind luck but it always seem as the Comediene was deliving the punchline or the Villain was about to be unmasked.
    Today with the marvels of modern technology all this now done 'digitaly', thats electronicaly even though at times it feels like the middle digit..........................

Just remember that Commercial TV is a continuing series of advertisments annoyingly interupted irregulaly by irrelevant programing.

I am waiting patiently for the day to come when those Infomercials are finaly interupted by segments of programs, wont that just be fun???
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-04-12 at 07:31 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (22-04-12),nbound (20-04-12)

Thanks

Some stations seem to transmit the volume louder for the adverts as well, SBS is particularly bad for this. I can understand why a commercial channel needs adverts, if they didn't have them there would be no income and no programs but I still find it amazing that people subscribe to pay TV on satellite and are then bombarded with adverts, they are paying to be advertised to, and the provider is having their cake and eating it.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Ahhhhhh.....torrents......bless you
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

Mgoldbe1 (21-04-12)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

crabber, actualy this has been proven to be incorrect even if the bloody sound blows the windows out of the room your in when the ads come on.
    According to one story, its to do with some sort of 'Compression' they use on the recording.
    The 'Broadcaster' doesnt do it when the material is played back.
    I thought the ones who recorded the audio did so at a higher level which isnt hard to do but they say thats not right either.
    What doesnt help is if what your watching has gone quiet as the scene fades off to 'Black' and then on comes the advert at 500% volume selling condoms or booze like that moronic Jim Bean ad with its facialy contorting Yodelers blasting out...............
    As Ted Bullpit used to say, 'They outa be all Blown Up'
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (21-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    crabber, actualy this has been proven to be incorrect even if the bloody sound blows the windows out of the room your in when the ads come on.
    According to one story, its to do with some sort of 'Compression' they use on the recording.
    The 'Broadcaster' doesnt do it when the material is played back.
    I thought the ones who recorded the audio did so at a higher level which isnt hard to do but they say thats not right either.
    What doesnt help is if what your watching has gone quiet as the scene fades off to 'Black' and then on comes the advert at 500% volume selling condoms or booze like that moronic Jim Bean ad with its facialy contorting Yodelers blasting out...............
    As Ted Bullpit used to say, 'They outa be all Blown Up'

I find the ads are louder for sure, and to prove the stations do it listen to their own station promo ads - they are loud as f#ck aswell....

Otherwise I'm with porkop...I don't watch much live FTA...either download my series / movies or record and skip ads on playback later....