Thread: VAST Multi service cams frustrations

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Default VAST Multi service cam frustrations

OK, so you can buy VAST multi sevice cams but getting them activated is a frustrating and drawn out process.

Anyone else having trouble?
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Havent had anything much to do with VAST cams yet. Would be good to know what the hold ups are for when I do (which will be sooner or later).

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Heres an off the wall thought for you regarding the multiservice cams............
    You say in other posts they want to go to MPEG4 for all 'self help' sites because of the proposed introduction of MPEG4 at a later date to replace the current MPEG2?
    Time means nothing to Government departments so they wouldnt see a problem on 'holding' back on the use of the CAMS untill its a suitable time to introduce MPEG4 en masse.

Think about how they set a date for anything, right up to the very last second you cant get diddly squat out of them but once the time is past, its Full steam ahead.
    Ridiculous, Idiotic, Pathetic, unbelievable even BUT ?????
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Here is how the process currently goes.

The council self help operator cannot retransmit the commercial digital services if they are sourced from VAST without activation of a VAST multi service cam. To do this the relevant council must have a license for each service and each site to retransmit these services (in MPEG2).

So said council goes through the frustratingly long process with the ACMA and gets their retransmission licenses. However the ACMA says:

licences authorise the use of the spectrum for the provision of digital retransmission services within the conditions applied to the licences. The act of issuing the licences doesn’t oblige the broadcasters to authorise VAST reception

WTF! so councils apply to the ACMA (the ultimate Authority for all broadcasting and spectrum access in Australia) and pay for licenses, to be then told 'ask the broadcasters, not us' - but they still want the license application fee.

And, as you know the broadcasters have a vested interested in killing off the terrestrial self-help site.

So what's the point of giving money to the ACMA? For what? I thought a license provided authorisation. Apparently not anymore. Corrupt or what?

Premium Member

Thanks

The ACMA is only issuing the licence to broadcast into the Radio spectrum on a designated frequency in a specified mode, NOT the content.
    Just because you hold a valid driving licence doesnt mean a Bank or Finance company are oblidged to loan you money to by a vehicle does it?
    The 'content' of VAST is held under various copyrights of which the ACMA has no authority over regarding their use.
    licences authorise the use of the spectrum for the provision of digital retransmission services within the conditions applied to the licences.
    Those 'conditions' stated usualy referes to the Technical specifications only, not the program content.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

got 5 activated in perth metro area today for a demo Televes transmodulator system.No problem, on in about 2 hrs

Premium Member

Thanks

Peewee, is this a permanent setup or for a limited time only ?
    I ask just in case they may be very ameniable to Demo or short term only activations rather than for a permanent operation.
    If its not private info, can you say what those cams are being used for there, ie like teaching installers how to ?

Banned
    Thanks

I think he said Demo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    WTF! so councils apply to the ACMA (the ultimate Authority for all broadcasting and spectrum access in Australia) and pay for licenses, to be then told 'ask the broadcasters, not us' - but they still want the license application fee.
    The council in question should see whether it can source the commercial stations from a different broadcaster, i.e. a local affiliate or capital city stations signal. In areas where this can be done it will provide a better service in the local time zone with more state based content available.

The only possible problem with this is license area issues, but since the VAST broadcasters are being unreasonable, the ACMA should make changes.*

*although knowing them they won't

Banned
    Thanks

Duplicate
    Last edited by toyboy11; 25-04-12 at 05:04 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaydenillman View Post
    The council in question should see whether it can source the commercial stations from a different broadcaster, i.e. a local affiliate or capital city stations signal. In areas where this can be done it will provide a better service in the local time zone with more state based content available.

The only possible problem with this is license area issues, but since the VAST broadcasters are being unreasonable, the ACMA should make changes.*

*although knowing them they won't
    Unfortunately jaydenillman, there are no other 'Sources' available in the way you mean.
    These CAMS are for the decoding of the VAST satellite system and there is only one service available with a Licence holder for each Commercial channel commonly refered to as 'The Broadcasters'.
    And it is these three Broadcasters who have to INDIVIDUALY approve the use of the CAMS for rebroadcasting of the VAST signal from 'Self Help' terrestial sites.
    From what I see the approvals are given as a Group authorisation rather than individual one.
    By this I mean you either get all THREE or you get NOTHING.

Its an entirely different situation on the rebroadcasting on Self Help sites from Terestial operators.
    I will stand correcting on this but I believe that all you have to do is obtain a licence from the ACMA for the frequency's needed and you can retransmit that signal from a Terrestial service without getting any permission from the Terrestial licence holder for that area.
    After all, your extending thier coverage area at generaly no cost to them.
    What the ACMA wont do is allow you to take the signal from another Licence holders area and broadcast it into anothers area as that operator's licences gives them exclusive rights of that transmission area.

As the program content on all channels is now almost identical except for advertising and the various football codes in Terrestial areas, taking a signal from Alice Springs and rebroacasting it in Brisbane provides no better 'service' either way.
    You will still see 'Home and Away' at 7pm local time whether your in Brisbane, Bourke,Bullamakanka or Perth.
    And you wont get much better 'Serviced' (screwed) than that !!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-04-12 at 09:11 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

beerman (26-04-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    I think he said Demo.
    I saw that and that could mean (peewee or his employer) has had 5 CAMS authorised to DEMO how they function for trainees' in one or more teaching places, either like TAFE or a business who does this kind of work.
    I doubt there would be much need for VAST CAMS in the Perth Mero area would there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    The ACMA is only issuing the licence to broadcast into the Radio spectrum on a designated frequency in a specified mode, NOT the content.
    Just because you hold a valid driving licence doesnt mean a Bank or Finance company are oblidged to loan you money to by a vehicle does it?
    The 'content' of VAST is held under various copyrights of which the ACMA has no authority over regarding their use.

Those 'conditions' stated usualy referes to the Technical specifications only, not the program content.
    Gordon, the Federal Government has funded VAST and the regional broadcasters to the tune of $840M to date to make their content "available to all Australians regardless of where they live". Conroy has given councils the option to opt into direct to home or upgrade their own terrestrial self help service to deliver such service.

So what is the justification why rural councils cannot access a taxpayer funded service because they choose terrestrial over direct to home as the transmission medium?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaydenillman View Post
    The council in question should see whether it can source the commercial stations from a different broadcaster, i.e. a local affiliate or capital city stations signal. In areas where this can be done it will provide a better service in the local time zone with more state based content available. [/SIZE]
    If they could, they would. Trouble is the only digital source in remote areas is VAST. Remote and rural councils have no access to any terrestrial signals to feed their self help sites.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peewee View Post
    got 5 activated in perth metro area today for a demo Televes transmodulator system.No problem, on in about 2 hrs
    Are you talking about the same thing? You don't need 5. There are 3 commercial broadcasters?

SBS and ABC are unencrypted.
    Last edited by beerman; 26-04-12 at 01:06 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Beerman
    So what is the justification why rural councils cannot access a taxpayer funded service because they choose terrestrial over direct to home as the transmission medium?
    I can see a major problem there right away if the Terrestial broadcaster licence encompasses that area they want to use the VAST CAM.
    The Terestial broadcaster MIGHT see this as a loss of advertising revenue even if their signal cant be received in that area for many reasons.
    Think about the old 'Black Spot' Aurora authorisations, when you made one, did it only got to C7 and Imparja (East Coast) for approval or did they (Aurora) contact the 'local' Terrestial broadcaster(s) to check they wer'nt 'poaching' viewers?
    When it comes to business they would cut each others throats without a second thought but in public, they present a united face.
    I realise there must be areas where there is no licence issued to cover the area and that they are experiencing the same constipated attitude to getting the CAMS authorised but again, the ACMA is like a horse drawn tram that can only follow the tracks as their laid and the Broadcasters are still laying the tracks but wont tell anyone where.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 26-04-12 at 06:14 PM.