Thread: Shatterpoints

Thanks

Default Shatterpoints

Hi Guys,

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my perimiter protection. I currently have a ness D8 system with Micro wireless Reeds on all perimiter doors and windows.

I'm thinking of installing the vibration/reed combos for some added security. Also thinking of adding a glass break in the main area (small apartment)

Pros/cons? Ideas

Thanks

Look Here ->

Thanks

Shatterpoints require cabling and being in an appartment, that may not be possible. RF Shock/reed combo's are of course available if cabling's an issue. I can't speak for their availability from NESS however as I chose to forget their existance many years ago.

Provided you're not adverse to upgrading, either the Hills Reliance with ITI wireless or the ADI Vista would be your best bet. Bare in mind if you wish to make use of both the shock and reed of the device, the ADI product leaves a little to be desired. It would appear that whom ever designed the case has never actually installed an alarm system. The mounting holes are such that if you install the device in the most effective position on the frame, you either have to cut the screws or resign to the fact you can't open the window. To me, neither are acceptable.

As for breakglass detectors, if you have any window coverings (curtains etc) their effectiveness is greatly reduced. IMHO they're far better suited to commercial applications with limited use in domestic situations.

Thanks

If you want to go down that route an option is the Ness single channel transmitter. I don't know the part number but had to use them a couple of times in the past. Just need 12v power and they'll transmitt for any hardwided detector.

Being single channel you need One per zone.

Thanks

Thanks For the reply Guys,

I'm looking at this will replace the existing reed, and it gains the inbuilt vibration detector, or you can wire an external one the frame.

I'm thinking with the Vibration, perhaps Break Glass's won't be required.

Thanks

That product doesn't actually have a built in shock sensor. The only thing that's built in is the reed switch. What it does have is a built in shock analyser to be used in conjuction with an external Ness vibration sensor contected to the devices external input.

Trust me when I say there are FAR better options than this. The NESS shock sensors haven't changed since the late 80's and are nothing more than a small metal 'roller baring' between 4 metal pins completing a circuit. The analyser works out how many times the circuit is broken and the duration of each break over a predefined period in order to determine an alarm condition. The major floor with this technology is that it's not fantastic at determining the shock signature and as such, is susceptible to a high number of false alarms. Althought some RF offerings from other manufacturers use similar technologies, their implimentations are vast improvements over NESS reducing false alarm risk. As for hardwired, newer technologies are able to determine the shock singature thus reject false alarm causing shock/vibration caused by wind, passing traffic, thunder etc.

In testing a shock sensor, if you can trigger the device by slapping the window with an open palm or rattling the window, there's a very high probability of false alarms and that's just what the NESS devices will do. If on the other hand you chosen device rejects such attempts to activate it and instead activates by tapping your screwdriver on the window it's self or the frame (away from the device of course) then you're on the right track. Incidently, most other devices will trigger in this manner.

Thanks

Okay, so which ones do you like and why?