Thread: Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0 ready for download

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Default Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0 ready for download

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0 ready for download

The latest version of the free anti-virus/anti-malware program for Windows PCs runs on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.
    April 24, 2012 4:08 PM PDT

Microsoft today made available for download a new release of its free anti-virus/anti-malware program for Windows PCs, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

The and the MSE Web site. (I learned of its availability from today.) The latest version runs on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and

The 4.0 version has been in beta since late 2011. As ZDNet sister site , Microsoft officials said the 4.0 release would include a streamlined interface; a renamed version of the SpyNet service (now slated to be known as Microsoft Active Protection Services); new automatic remediation functionality; and overall improved performance and detection capabilities.

I've asked Microsoft officials if there's anything else worth noting that is part of the new release. Here's the statement from a spokesperson:

This update to Microsoft Security Essentials is part of the standard product update release cycle. This service update contains product enhancements to improve performance and user experience. We have improved on Microsoft Security Essentials' Automatic Remediation, which will automatically quarantine highly harmful threats without prompting the user to take action as well as minor bug fixes in set up, malware remediation and other areas."

I just checked to see what version of MSE I was running on my Windows 7 PC and it was a 2.X release. I'm wondering whether that means Microsoft doesn't push updates of this service to users via Windows Update or whether the most recent release before this one was 2.X.

The aforementioned spokesperson did say, when I asked, that "this version of Microsoft Security Essentials will be made available to existing customers automatically through the Microsoft Update service."

Just a reminder about MSE's origins: MSE was aimed first and foremost at users who either can't or won't pay for antivirus/anti-malware software, with the idea being that more secure Windows PCs mean less security risks for all Windows users. With MSE, there is no registration required, no trials with an expiration date or required renewals. But Microsoft does restrict the MSE download (both the beta and final) to PCs running Genuine Windows (which has been authenticated as non-pirated).
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

bigfella08 (28-04-12),kevin1341 (26-04-12),mickstv (26-04-12),myf360f1 (26-04-12),OSIRUS (26-04-12),problem child (26-04-12),Seymour Butts (26-04-12),ssrattus (26-04-12),tristen (26-04-12)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Thanks Fernbay

So to upgrade to this version we need to do a windows 7 update?

Could you uninstall the current version loaded then just download the new MSE 4.0 from the download center?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

I got it though Windows update no problems, (using Windows 7 Ultimate)
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    I got it though Windows update no problems, (using Windows 7 Ultimate)
    Yeah was trying to avoid that Osirus, but will give it a go.

EDIT- Yep got it through Win 7 update no drama.

P.S
    Am running an earlier version of the Sanity fix wink wink
    Last edited by myf360f1; 27-04-12 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Updating

Thanks

Got it through windows update just ok, one had Sanity's posted Win 7 genuine fix that works so well.