Thread: VAST-no Al Jazeera, but was on Aurora

Thanks

Default VAST-no Al Jazeera, but was on Aurora

Hi,

Aurora did not show ABC24 so Al Jazeera was the next best thing. On my new VAST PVR I get ABC24 but no Al Jazeera any more. Any idea why this is so? After all, the Sheik of Qatar subsidises the station and the feed is probably available for free.

If I am desperate I can watch it on some other available channel as this feed is quite popular, so it is no great loss.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

The VAST box is locked up tight so you can't scan in any other channels other than the ones you are entitled to on the VAST network.
    You could use your old receiver for Aljazeera by connecting it to the loop out connection of the VAST receiver (or vice versa).

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Most annoying, isn't it.

With Aurora, we could use almost any other decoder we chose and could tune almost any signals that could be received at our location, but, as Leroy correctly said, VAST decoders will not permit tuning of anything other than the channels your VAST authorisation permits.

It's no different though to other encrypted program providers, like Foxtel & Austar.

You can't tune extra extra channels into their decoders either.

Leroy, there is no loop out connector on UEC VAST boxes... but your suggestion will work if the other decoder has a loop through and connected to the VAST box.... providing it's only tuned to a vertical channel. (which Aljazeera is).

If you want to have fully-independent operation of two decoders from the one LNB, you can use a dual LNB with one cable to the VAST box and the other cable to the other decoder, or if you need more than two tuners connected, a quad LNB (four outputs) or a dual LNB with a multiswitch with outputs for the number of tuners you require.

I have found a multiswitch performs much better than a quad LNB.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If you had an 'Official' Aurora UEC stb, I dont beiieve it was tunable to receive anything else other than those 'Approved' Aurora' channels either so that today if anyone wants to retain those 'Free' channels, keep your 'old' Aurora running at least untill it is finaly switched off in a few years time.
    Earlier this year in a very tempory instalation (4 months), I used a splitter to connect a single cable LNB to a Humax with an Aurora Card and the UEC VAST stb.
    This was an easier option due to the location of the Dish and the 2 STBs but here in my little piggery, I have done as Leroy said and used the 'Loop Thru' on a Humax (Aurora) to connect to a VAST stb.
    I might add this cable is connected to a multiswitch connected to an Austar Dish with a Dual LNB.
    Like a bloody electricans nightmare it is, but it works.....................
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Most annoying, isn't it.

With Aurora, we could use almost any other decoder we chose and could tune almost any signals that could be received at our location, but, as Leroy correctly said, VAST decoders will not permit tuning of anything other than the channels your VAST authorisation permits.

It's no different though to other encrypted program providers, like Foxtel & Austar.

You can't tune extra extra channels into their decoders either.

Leroy, there is no loop out connector on UEC VAST boxes... but your suggestion will work if the other decoder has a loop through and connected to the VAST box.... providing it's only tuned to a vertical channel. (which Aljazeera is).

If you want to have fully-independent operation of two decoders from the one LNB, you can use a dual LNB with one cable to the VAST box and the other cable to the other decoder, or if you need more than two tuners connected, a quad LNB (four outputs) or a dual LNB with a multiswitch with outputs for the number of tuners you require.

I have found a multiswitch performs much better than a quad LNB.
    With all the channels being vertically polarised, loop through is cheapest option.
    If there is Austar, then the dual out LNB to a multiswitch option is the way as you suggested.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    If you had an 'Official' Aurora UEC stb, I dont beiieve it was tunable to receive anything else other than those 'Approved' Aurora' channels either .....................
    Yes you can scan other satellites with it. My 642 and 660 always scanned bouquets, as long as you disabled the "HOME" option.

Thanks

[QUOTE=gordon_s1942;482060]If you had an 'Official' Aurora UEC stb, I dont beiieve it was tunable to receive anything else other than those 'Approved' Aurora' channels either....

Gordon, I had an official ADB box (UEC copy) that I retuned to get 'Select' off of PAS8 Ku.

Cheers
    Hos Here

Premium Member

Thanks

Sorry about that but when I bought my first Humax I was under the impression that the 'Company' stb had certain limitations and that was one of them and as I never had Aurora 'Officialy' untill 2 years ago (naughty me) I had no way telling if that information was correct.

I too could afford to subsidise many things if like the Sheik of Qatar I had multimillions of Petro Dollars flowing in as he does.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 28-04-12 at 01:07 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Thanks for the many good tips. If I am desperate for Al Jazeerah, then I have to loop it out of my Strong box into the Vast box; a lot of fuss for one channel.

Premium Member

Thanks

Its a simple and easy option if the 2 STB's are together and you want al jazeera badly enough but if you do the loop through, just remember not to have the Strong on a Horizontal (if any exist ) channel as it will block out the vertical VAST channels.

Thanks

I hate hearing all this stuff about environment, pollution & all the rest of the crap yet the government / companies force consumers to buy separate equipment for every different service..

I got 1 box for pox, 1 for aurora, 1 dvbt pvr & 1 electronic switcher as I do not have enough inputs on my tv.

Premium Member

Thanks

And you forgot to add that ALL use power 24/7 and some with a clock or a Smart Card that needs updating means they CANT be switched off at the mains to conserve power.

Ohhh and you can also buy meters to monitor your power useage and most likey they may consume power too to tell you what is being consumed.
    You cant bloody win !!!!!!!!!!