Thread: Installation woes with Techlife.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Installation woes with Techlife.

My friend is still battling with Techlife with his 'Digital Instal'.
    I use the term 'Digital' as you will see as you read down.
    Techlife had him down for a Terrstial STB as they put his location 'NEAR' a town that is an 'Early Switchover' and had postponed his instal even for that twice.
    Even though he registered late December, untill he rang Techlife late February they had never contacted him in anyway.
    Techlife made an appointment for the 5th of April, the day the other place was supposed to 'changeover' but cancelled when the 'change' was delayed 'Untill Late May' even though he told them again he wasnt in that area.
    When they cancelled the last time, he asked for a contact number but they refused to give him one so I gave him the number I had on my letter from Techlife.
    He rang them early last week and he said the operator couldnt understand how he had that number but eventualy after a lot of argueing with them to check with Mysat as I had already done and got a Pre-Approval for him for VAST where he lives they finaly decided he isnt in a Digital Terrestial Area after all so an appointment was made for today, Thursday 3rd of May to do a VAST instal but guess what?
    They rang Tuesday and said they had to cancel because the 'Instaler had run out of equipment'.
    So at the moment he is back to Square One and waiting as they didnt give him a new date.
    I thought I had a bit of a hassle with them but his saga makes mine pale into insigniference.
    We were due to loose 4 'Self Help' sites in this general area and I did hear that some have been postponed and now I am wondering if its due to delays by the instaler 'running out of equipment'.

BTW, the 'Secret' service centre number for Techlife is 1300 152 231 but dont tell anybody will you...................
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-05-12 at 10:37 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Another perfect example of a crap government scheme.

All being an 'government endorsed installer' means is they have a meter, some very basic knowledge and a public liability policy.

It's unfortunate you only have one 'endorsed installer' in your area, as some are better than others.

Even though the installation may end up being free, this is the crap so many people are facing to get something for nothing.

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV, If there is only one 'Authorised' installer for this area, they must be hiring out as one friend had a fellow from South Australia and he broke out a panel of a fibro wall putting in a wall plate, the fellow who did mine now lives up around the Byron Bay area although he did live about 20 kms from me a few years ago so knew the area and seemed very competent in what he did.
    When I told him the problems VAST had when that Data stuffup took it off air the previous Saturday, he made the comment that explained why he had received calls from Kingaroy Qld from what I took to be customers he had done instalations for previously.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

One installer, can mean one 'endorsed' company, which appears to be what's happening in your case.

The same happens with terrstrial installations under the HAS, they bring in contractors from wherever they can get them, often from interstate.

In your case, 'running out of equipment' is even worse if it's not an individual installer, but a large company.

I've also lost count of the number of sloppy installations I've fixed from some of these installers, who have moved on to other areas.

It's not unlike franchised TV antenna installers... some are OK, a lot aren't and it's just luck on the part of the consumer which one they get on the day.

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV, I understood what you meant re the 'endorsed company', I just put it poorly.

Would I be right in guessing then that Techlife has the contract for the whole 'Changeover Area' and they have 'Subbed' 'Joe Blogs, Antenna Installer and Boot Repairer' for Woop Woop and he in turn if he hasnt enough bodies may have 'hired' extras to do the jobs?

Btw, one date my friend had proposed to him for the installation (Terrestial STB) was Good Friday but he said he was going to Church so pick another.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    MTV, I understood what you meant re the 'endorsed company', I just put it poorly.

Would I be right in guessing then that Techlife has the contract for the whole 'Changeover Area' and they have 'Subbed' 'Joe Blogs, Antenna Installer and Boot Repairer' for Woop Woop and he in turn if he hasnt enough bodies may have 'hired' extras to do the jobs?

Btw, one date my friend had proposed to him for the installation (Terrestial STB) was Good Friday but he said he was going to Church so pick another.
    'Subbying' out is common, also is taking kids off the street, giving them a 1 day 'training course' and sending them out, all due to being awarded a tender then not having sufficient staff to deliver.

I'm not surprised an installer knocked back working a public holiday.

I once had a guy ring me on Christmas day wanting an antenna installed that day, for his new plasma TV.

I agreed to do it, but he turned down my quoted price for working Christmas day.