A really weird thing happened to me last night.

Close to midnight I was just about to turn in when I heard a strange noise from the bathroom ... a "pop" then a "sushing" sound

Short of finding a ghost I found mains water gushing from under the vanity sink. Knowing that we had those flexible metal hose things that usually have a tap at the wall I put my hand in to find no tap to close ... Having a bad cold and flu at the time (and am still recovering) I had to run to the front of the property in the dark and fumble to close the mains water tap. ... and no I was not starkers and I did have some clothes on although they got wet pretty quickly

I then spent the next 2 hrs cleaning up water everywhere swearing with the missus and then swearing at her (for constantly asking stupid questions and doing stupid things like trying to throw out all my personal bathroom stuff)
I later scrumaged around my garage for old plumbing bits to stop the leaking.

Fortunately I managed to find a replacement hose (who knows where I originally got it from) that gave me a fix.

Now the big questions :

Why did this happen ?
(someone mentioned to me today about "cheap" imports) I am sure the bathroom fitout was done about 10 years ago

Is there something else I should do now ?
There is another hose still in place of the same age - I plan to change this anyway... probably fit taps as well. May be I should get a plumber in to do a check, assuming there is something here they can inspect or advise on

If this had happened while we were away on holidays this could have been an absolute disaster. If I was not at home and the missus was I can imagine what the call to me over the phone would have been like ... it is had enough when they can not work out the TV remote control