Thread: Which Kindle?

Thanks

Default Which Kindle?

Hi there,
    Wife is asking about these devices and from what I have read I am more confused on what to buy.
    Anyone bought one of the current versions out atm?
    Or are there other e readers better than kindle?
    Thanks
    Bg.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I have had a Kindle Touch imported from the US before they became available her. I also bought the Amazon cover for it, with a readig light built-in, and it does everything I want. My first EBook reader was a Sony which was okay but not as good as the Kindle, though admittedly Sony have released better readers since then. I stick to the Eink readers as I find them much easier on the eyes.

Kobo and Nnok also make decent readers though I have not used either of them. Each of the Vendor's try to lock you in, but at the moment all of their DRM schemes are trivially removed, with the exception of Apple's, which changes frequently. Once DRM is removed, conversion between formats is then easily accomplished for most ebooks. I would recommend the mobile read forums for further information.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (14-05-12)

Thanks

A rumour has come out that Apple will release a "mini Ipad" to compete with the Kindle 7" screen and weighing around 400grams around October this year

We currently use a ipad with the kindle app, but it is too heavy.

I like the idea of a "complete" unit from Reading, surfing and playing so I am waiting to see if the rumour is true

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 14-05-12 at 11:38 PM.
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (14-05-12)

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

I have a kobo, it's great,
    I hear the ipads aren't that easy on the eyes, when reading for a long period of time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hughdman For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (15-05-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

I have the kindle keyboard (got it very cheap about a year ago) but have never used the keyborad yet so I can't see the benefit. When holding it in bed the keys are often getting accidently hit and a search bar opens up at the bottom of the page. Easy to download mobi file books to fill it up...have about 100 books still to read LOL. Get Calibre to allow access to the kindle on your computer.
    Very easy to read. I got the kindle cover but only use it for travelling (protection) as it makes it a lot heavier to hold for a long time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (15-05-12)

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies.
    Looks like the Wife will have to try them out before buying as she'll be the one who has to look at it.
    Cheers.

Thanks

The kindle touch screen is much better compared to the keyboard one (I have both, well my other 1/2 has the touch). I do not like the plastic style case for the touch though, as there is no clasp to keep it closed, but the light placement its much better than the keyboard case.

For reading I would only go with an eink screen, reading on an ipad is okay for a short time, but I find it strains my eyes (plus I get too distracted and start looking stuff up on the net!)
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

• The Following User Says Thank You to roguefan99 For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (19-05-12)

Thanks

I bought a Sony ereader for the other half almost 12 months ago and works great no issues at all. Very clear screen and is light, came with a leather jacket to protect it and a night night for reading.

I'm pretty sure all of the big name brands will be almost on par with one another in terms of ease of use and specs. Buy a good name brand and you will be right.

• The Following User Says Thank You to johnwinger For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (19-05-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
    The kindle touch screen is much better compared to the keyboard one (I have both, well my other 1/2 has the touch). I do not like the plastic style case for the touch though, as there is no clasp to keep it closed, but the light placement its much better than the keyboard case.

For reading I would only go with an eink screen, reading on an ipad is okay for a short time, but I find it strains my eyes (plus I get too distracted and start looking stuff up on the net!)
    Agree regarding the ipad screen, much better to go with an actual e-reader screen.

It's like comparing gloss finish to matte finish.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quite happy with my Nook Touch.

Very easy to turn into an Android device with many apps running perfectly including Opera Mobile and the battery lasts for weeks even with heavy web browsing.
    I find Android file managers like Astro or readers like Coolreader or ComicReader and EZpdf far superior than the Library readers that come with these Ebook readers. Can read even all the books I converted many years ago for my Palm OS.

I get a pain in the back of my head if I use a notebook, Ipod or an Android device with LCD display more that a hour.
    Working with computer displays seem to be OK, maybe because I sit further back and I don't stare at them the whole time.

Most important, I like to use it outside by the pool or a relaxing place in the garden where it is too bright for most LCD displays. This is where E-ink rules... and when I am sick of reading I can play a match with ChessGenius ...and loose
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (20-05-12),tristen (21-05-12)