Thread: Basic Instruction for newbie

Thanks

Smile **==Basic Instruction for newbie==**

Hi Guys:

Special thanks to Phobius, beer4life.

I just put everyone's work together.

I am a newbie and have no idea about satellite tv. I read through the forum. It sounds like people can get pay tv for free if they have a dish, decoder, smartcard, dreambox and etc.

Need more help
    ================================================== ====
    Q9: What is a cam or CA module?

I am really appreciate any help. I am sure there are lots of newbies like me will appreciate your help too.

ANSWERED
    Q1: What sort of equipments do I need in order to receive pay tv?
    A1: In order to receive pay-tv, you need either a cable-tv STB for cable tv or a satellite DVB-S STB for satellite TV. I'm assuming you want satellite, because that's the category of the post. The dish size is dependent on the distance between you and the satellite from which you wish to receive signals. The further away the satellite, the larger the dish.

Q2: How these equipments are connected together?
    A2: A dish is a concave reflector that concentrates signals onto an LNB. The LNB has an RG-6 or RG-59(cheaper) cable running from it to the back of the STB. This is all the connectivity required for a basic setup.

Q3: For different Pay TV provider, do I need different equipments or smartcard???
    A3: Different pay TV providers encrypt their signalling differently, therefore requiring you to have both a subscription card with the correct, valid authentication tokens and a CAM module inside your STB which interfaces with this card to decipher the stream. The CAM and smart-card work togeather and must be of a compatible nature (ie. same crypto-system).

Q4: What is that strong xxxxx box???
    A4: Sounds like a stronger, more potent variant of XXXX. In all seriousness though, a strong-box is a type of STB.

Q5: What is the dreambox mentioned in this forum? It that a STB?
    A5: This is a brand of decoder or Set Top Box.

Q6: What is a decoder? Where do I need to use the decoder?? If you have a look at A2, it didn't mention any decoder.
    A6: Set Top Box loosely called a Decoder as it decodes the encrypted channels.

Q7: What is C-band,Ku-band, free to air???
    A7: The C and Ku bands are segments of the Radio Frequency spectrum, as are the broadcast, FM, terrestrial TV, microwave bands etc.

Q8: Question about smart cards? For optus, Foxtel, Select TV, what sort of smart card do I need to use?

A8: Generally speaking, if the channels are Free To Air, you will not need a smart card. You will need a cam or CA module to decode the digital signal in your decoder.
    For the above services that you mention, you will need to take out a paid subscription, unless of course you are smart enough to outwit them. But that's criminal activity, not condoned.
    Last edited by dingwanyou; 14-06-08 at 04:06 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

A1: In order to receive pay-tv, you need either a cable-tv STB for cable tv or a satellite DVB-S STB for satellite TV. I'm assuming you want satellite, because that's the category of the post. The dish size is dependent on the distance between you and the satellite from which you wish to receive signals. The further away the satellite, the larger the dish.

A2: A dish is a concave reflector that concentrates signals onto an LNB. The LNB has an RG-6 or RG-59(cheaper) cable running from it to the back of the STB. This is all the connectivity required for a basic setup.

A3: Different pay TV providers encrypt their signalling differently, therefore requiring you to have both a subscription card with the correct, valid authentication tokens and a CAM module inside your STB which interfaces with this card to decipher the stream. The CAM and smart-card work togeather and must be of a compatible nature (ie. same crypto-system).

A4: Sounds like a stronger, more potent variant of XXXX. In all seriousness though, a strong-box is a type of STB.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dingwanyou View Post
    Hi Guys:

Special thanks to Phobius.

I just put everyone's work together.

I am a newbie and have no idea about satellite tv. I read through the forum. It sounds like people can get pay tv for free if they have a dish, decoder, smartcard, dreambox and etc.

Need more help?

Q5: What is the dreambox mentioned in this forum? It that a STB?
    This is a brand of decoder or Set Top Box.

Q6: What is a decoder? Where do I need to use the decoder?? If you have a look at A2, it didn't mention any decoder.
    Set Top Box loosely called a Decoder as it decodes the encrypted channels.

Q7: What is C-band,Ku-band, free to air???
    The C and Ku bands are segments of the Radio Frequency spectrum, as are the broadcast, FM, terrestrial TV, microwave bands etc.

Q8: Question about smart cards? For optus, Foxtel, Select TV, what sort of smart card do I need to use?
    Generally speaking, if the channels are Free To Air, you will not need a smart card. You will need a cam or CA module to decode the digital signal in your decoder.
    For the above services that you mention, you will need to take out a paid subscription, unless of course you are smart enough to outwit them. But that's criminal activity, not condoned.

I am really appreciate any help. I am sure there are lots of newbies like me will appreciate your help too.
    ANSWERED

Q1: What sort of equipments do I need in order to receive pay tv?

Q2: How these equipments are connected together?

Q3: For different Pay TV provider, do I need different equipments or smartcard???

Q4: What is that strong xxxxx box???
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

A9: A CAM (Conditional Access Module) is a PCMCIA (Computer Cardbus standard, credit card sized expansion modules for laptops, you may have seen them) module which you slot into your STB to give it the ability to work with a given crypto-system. If you want to receive, say, a FooCrypt (not a real crypto-system) video stream, you will need a STB that accepts CA modules (has a PCMCIA slot), a FooCrypt CA module, and a FooCrypt subscription card. The STB channels ciphertext (or portions thereof) into the CA module, the CA module then performs some form of cryptographic operations on the input data (subject to the encyption algorithm used by the crypto-system) and returns (to the STB) some form of plaintext OR a session key which is applied against the cipher-text coming down from the satellite (usually a XOR operation) to get the plain-text. The interaction between the CA and subscription card varies with the algorithm, but the basics are usually the same. The subscription card performs (internally) some operation based on burned-in credentials and returns the outputs to the CA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dingwanyou View Post
    It sounds like people can get pay tv for free if they have a dish, decoder, smartcard, dreambox and etc.
    Can you please reword your opening statement to something like:
    It sounds like people can get pay tv for free if they happy to spend money to buy a dish, decoder and smart card.

Thanks

Talking Correction not warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    Can you please reword your opening statement to something like:
    It sounds like people can get pay tv for free if they happy to spend money to buy a dish, decoder and smart card.
    Generally speaking, if the channels are Free To Air, you will not need a smart card. You will need a cam or CA module to decode the digital signal in your decoder.
    Sorry Old Chap,
    I would have thought the above part of the replies made that abundantly clear. May I be permitted to suggest that your rewording would be far better if " take out a paid subscription, " were used instead of "smart card."

After all a whitey or any other pirate card is a " smart card ".
    Just to clear up any confusion,

Thanks

This is a joke thread. Right??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmsky View Post
    That's what I thought as well. I am lost now...

Thanks

Talking Mystery solved.

14-06-08, 01:25 PM......Time of original post.
    14-06-08, 01:35 PM......Time of reply by Phobius.
    14-06-08, 02:40 PM......Time of my reply.
    Original last edited by dingwanyou : 14-06-08 at 03:06 PM. Completely changed original.

G'Day Cobbers,
    He sure had everyone scratching their heads. Because he just edited his original post, instead of a reply post, has thrown questions and answers out of kilter. I can't see that he meant any harm, but should be told not to do that as it only causes confusion to bystanders reading the thread later. I sensed there was something wrong, but could not put my finger on it. I thought perhaps the original post had got lost?

Originally Posted by Farmsky View Post

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    That's what I thought as well. I am lost now...
    Last edited by beer4life; 16-06-08 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Additional time.

Thanks

i thought this was a piss taker thread 2

Thanks

Thumbs down Tell me if it's a Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmsky View Post
    Am I the only one that attempts to follow the RULES.
    Until proven otherwise, I must accept members posts at face value and reply accordingly. It's a pity far too many other members do not do likewise.

5. No flaming or abusing other members or Austech staff. Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself. Trolls will be issued with infractions , if you want to deliberately troll and bait people your stay will be short. Members can and will be removed from particular threads should they continue to cause disruption to others.