Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: UBI World TV gone into volunteer administration

Thanks

No one says the business was not legit...but if they contacted ASIC back on the 17th, and a week later fail to notify their customers via mail or on-screen notices, that is a sh*t way to run a business.

I laugh at the notion someone like Murdoch would give two shits about TRABS or UBI or even know who they are. LOL Best joke I've heard in a while.

Thanks

You obviously have never run a business or if you have have never been unlucky enough to experience bad times or you would probably understand a lot more
    I have been the closest I ever have been to bankruptcy it's not fun and I have to rob Peter to pay Paul and hope to Christ that something comes out of the woodwork in between and that's every week I do that doesn't mean I or anyone are shifty it just means we are trying to survive another week
    Last edited by aaeon.1; 25-05-12 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks

And if you laugh at the notion of Murdoch giving a shit about tarbs or ubi
    He doesn't care about them at all ,all he cares about is the monopoly of every channel transmitted by satellite that can make him money
    I'm sure if he were to meet mike boulos he would say "nothing personal mike it's just business"

Theres a Lot of difference between a monkey and an organ grinder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaeon.1 View Post
    I ####ing hate the human race a little more everyday I,m here on planet earth
    Humans are a species, any particular race? Or the whole lot:-)

AGREE with your business sentiments btw.... People do like to knock in this country.

Sometimes - negative consumer feedback is proper, sometimes - it is not.
    5th Wyking Panzer Division

Thanks

People as a collective mate

Thanks

I certainly do not know all the facts of what has transpired here and concur with some of things aaeon.1 has said although I take issue with some of the comments about UBI/TARBS

To my knowledge:

TARBS started out with numerous FTA and mostly Government owned channels that were previously on FTA on C-Band back in the late 1990's. They also offered some new private channels which they had a reasonable reason to charge for. They encrypted them all as a pay-tv operator and targeted more FTA channels on C-Band so that any remaining FTA market would be forced to come to them for their homeland channels.

Those "FTA" channels included MKTV, ESC1, TV Chile and a few others that I have forgotten. They then were taken off C-Band or encrypted and TARBS charged for them with other similar language channels. This is like you living in Europe and being charged the privilege of watching the ABC. Yes, many of these channel operators may have entered agreements but some most likely did not. These sort of business practices and charging high fees for many "FTA" channels made them no better than Murdoch in some way, Then...

TARBS went bankrupt which they did with little dignity. Many people that had paid up to a years subscription never ever saw their money again. Boulos simply declared bankruptcy and opened UBI sometime later under his wife's name. Why this is allowed in Australia is amazing but even with this, UBI continued to carry on providing FTA channels mixed with other private channels at a high price. Why a company that had failed is allowed to open a business in the same industry it had failed in is beyond a joke, especially when that company owed a lot of money to many angry consumers.

By the second coming of TARBS in the form of UBI there was little good will from much of the various ethnic communities towards Boulos and company. People however wanted channels from back home so they put up with overpricing, low quality broadcasting in 4:3 format, low bit rates and constant outages due to a small uplink dish in Sydney that constantly suffered from rain fade issues. There was simply no alternative in most cases.

I have owned a UBI subscription for my Mother in Law for some 8-9 years and she will be upset by this so it is sad day in many ways. She was paying $65 a month for a package where she had recently lost here favourite Telenovelas (soap opera) channel without notice, it had been replaced with a poor substitute. She would often call asking why her channels were off the air at various times. I would have to try to explain that the broadcaster was having technical difficulties. It happened a lot.

Piracy certainly has hurt UBI but they hurt themselves by offering a poor service at a high cost to a public that had been burnt by them before. I certainly have no sympathy for Boulos and his wife though. They have been ripped off by piracy but had previously been ripping people off for years.

They will probably try their hand at IPTV under a new name but will most likely fail again and blame somebody else as usual.

Just my 2 cents worth
    Last edited by therealyuriboy; 25-05-12 at 02:06 AM. Reason: spelling

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to therealyuriboy For This Useful Post:

wazza811 (25-05-12),weirdo (25-05-12)

Thanks

Well well well.....

Apsattv.com Official Predictions for Year 2012

July 2012

UBI announces IPTV service.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post

AGREE with your business sentiments btw.... People do like to knock in this country.
    I was only talking with someone about this yesterday. In the USA they would look at that sucessful person driving the nice Corvette and say, I gotta work a bit harder. Here they say look at that poser etc etc....

@ Rattlesnake - the Murdoch paytv hacking was not targetted directly at UBI, it's just they were unfortunately a bystander using the same encryption.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I think its more the point that people are sick of paying for a third rate service. You only have to look at the amount of complaints here and all over the internet.

People are happy to pay for a service of good quality. When they are paying for retransmitted internet streaming, why bother ? You can do that yourself if your not fussy on quality.

Thanks

I'd argue some of these Internet streams have superior quality to the over-normalised audio, off colours and low bit-rate that most of the channels suffered from.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RATLSNAKE View Post
    I'd argue some of these Internet streams have superior quality to the over-normalised audio, off colours and low bit-rate that most of the channels suffered from.
    Very possible. I can stream movies from Netflix in HD no problem, not all streaming is crap quality.

The worst the quality, the lower the bitrate and more importantly, the cheaper for them to retransmit.

Thanks

With streaming the way it is now, it was probably inevitable that they were going to go under (regaedless of their current picture quality). Maybe that's why Selectv pulled the pin early? In coming years with the NBN Foxtel will come under increasing presure.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    With streaming the way it is now, it was probably inevitable that they were going to go under (regaedless of their current picture quality). Maybe that's why Selectv pulled the pin early? In coming years with the NBN Foxtel will come under increasing presure.

Leroy
    But who are Foxtel going to come under pressure from ? Certainly, the NBN would make streaming much more easier for people, but lets not forget that anything of interest is not available to people in this country.

Sure, you can use Netflix or Hulu semi illegally (its not breaking the law according to our government but is a breach of their terms and conditions) using a US VPN/proxy etc but how many people in the street are likely to do that ?

Thanks

More and more people download not just 1 episode but the entire series of what they want to watch now. Same for movies etc. Why wait for them to come to paytv. The only thing that will keep them going will be sport, mainly afl and nrl.

Leroy

Administrator
    Thanks

Maybe, but they are not what you would call the average person in the street. Dont forget, not every person out there downloads or streams content illegally. Obviously you would find more people on a tech forum that would know how to do that, but your average joe wouldnt have a clue.

As an example, not one of my family or friends would have a clue how to and I think thats a fair representation.

Thanks

Ah the usual armchair experts.

UBI being under Voluntary Administration doesn't mean that UBI has gone "belly up".

The UBI service still continues to be broadcasted on Optus D2 and Intelsat 8.

Regards,
    Liski
    Last edited by Liski; 25-05-12 at 11:41 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liski For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (25-05-12),weirdo (25-05-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, but for how long ? It would be hard to see things improving, once your customers know that you are in administration they will be removing direct debits quick smart (and understandably too)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,075 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Liski View Post

UBI being under Voluntary Administration doesn't mean that UBI has gone "belly up".

Regards,
    Liski
    If it's business as usual, why the scrolling message... "To all subscribers of ANT1 through the UBI World Tv Please be advised that UBI has gone into Voluntary Administration. In case the signal stop broadcasting & you wish to continue watching Ant 1 Please contact world media on 1300 976 483"?

Are you also giving a guarantee that UBI being under Voluntary Administration means UBI will trade out of Voluntary Administration and not go belly up in the future?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Sure, you can use Netflix or Hulu semi illegally (its not breaking the law according to our government but is a breach of their terms and conditions) using a US VPN/proxy etc but how many people in the street are likely to do that ?
    A lot of the younger generation do just that. Breaking a T&C is not an illegal act. Its also how people are watching Apple TV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liski View Post

Regards,
    Liski
    You're kidding right? The ASIC details don't paint a positive picture, and there is no method for customers to speak to anyone. What exactly do you see as a normal running business here?
    It's funny, not long ago you mentioned why people still bring up TABRS, yet from a customer's viewpoint, is this not how all that started, with the difference being this time it is Regina's name and not Mike's?

Not to mention, as representative of the company, do you feel that calling many of your customers "armchair experts" is a professional approach under the current unknown circumstances?
    Your employer keeps customers in the dark, offers no method to reach them as the door is locked accoridng to this in the know of that industry and area, and then you come up with that kind of talk? Real nice company.
    Last edited by RATLSNAKE; 25-05-12 at 01:11 PM.

• Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast