Thread: Wireless cant connect to Lan

Thanks

Default Wireless cant connect to Lan

I have a Thompson single port modem connected to a Starnet 8 port switch with 4 computers connected together working fine on the lan network and also out of the 8 port switch I have a TP Link wireless 4 port router and I have 3 laptops connected to the wireless network and all working fine but I cant get the wireless network to see the lan network although they are all out of the 8 port starnet router any help to fix the problem please.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

make sure the workgroup name is all set the same also turn on microsoft file and printer sharing.

Thanks

Yes the group name is the same and the printer sharing is on.

Thanks

plug a lappy into the router via ethernet and see if it works for a start.

Thanks

Sounds like your 4-port router is probably plugged into the 8-port switch via its uplink port (where a modem would attach). It is therefore probably working as a firewall like most routers do.

You could have built yourself 2 networks possibly even with different IP addresses and 2 DHCP servers for each segment.

2 options:

1. Does your router have a "pass-through" setting? If so, use it. This way it will act as a normal switch with uplink port.

2. If practical, reverse the order of your connected devices. That is, connect the 8-port switch downstream from the router.

Without knowing more about your network and devices, I hope this helps.

Thanks

Try this..

On the thompson modem make sure the DHCP starts its Ip address range from 2 ip's higher than the modem..

ie..if the thompson modem ip is 192.168.1.1 then make it start its ip's it hands from 192.168.1.3

The TP-Link ip of the router then should be set to 192.168.1.2 and turn off the DHCP in the router. Make sure both the sub-net masks are the same (like 255.255.255.0)

Plug a cable from 1 of the ports on the switch into the lan side of the TP-Link..not the modem side..

hope that helps!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Doctor View Post
    I have 3 laptops connected to the wireless network and all working fine but I cant get the wireless network to see the lan network although they are all out of the 8 port starnet router any help to fix the problem please.
    I assume your wireless PCs all can share network resources like Internet connection, printer but cannot see wired computers, right?
    If thats the case, I had exactly the same problem. Then I changed something in my configuration, don't remember if it was within the wireless router, or within each wireless laptop. I only remember a box I had to tick which spells out something like "Allow to see other computers."
    Sorry, can't give a definite answer, simply can't remember what did I do, keep looking wuthin your hardware configuration.