Thread: WD TV Live streaming problems

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Default WD TV Live streaming problems

Thought I better let all here know of a well documented bug in the updated WDTV Live media players.

The WDTV live streaming is an updated version of the WDTV live media player that now has inbuilt wifi n in it plus a nice new interface and more internal ram and a larger remote control.

I recently got one of these to replace my old wifi-less one (then gave the old one away). Yesterday I had to go and buy another old model as my new streaming is a piece of crap.

The bug is twofold.
    Firstly the wifi is very intermittent and requires a really strong signal. In my place all other computers (3) and phones can connect easily and solidly but this one will only connect for a short time and will constantly break up

Second bug has yet to be fixed by many firmware upgrades and a lot of people think it may be design related and will never be fixed. Putting an external HDD that is usb3 into the rear usb port(most new drives are now usb3) and playing any hi def file (720 or1080) will cause freezing of the movie at any random time and require a re-boot for the HDD to be recognised again. Unfortunately it will also forget your place in the movie so you have to put it in fast forward to find your place again. After 3 or so freezes like this per movie you will be pissed enough to want to throw the f#cker away.
    I have tried different external HDD's but they all seem to cause the same problem

Links

New Streaming

Old WDTV Live
    Last edited by mandc; 27-05-12 at 09:16 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I bought one the other day to watch Netflix and am using it with its built in wireless and it works fine. In fact I was very impressed that I could watch something in HD on Netflix without using the ethernet port.

First thing I did was update the firmware, not sure if it is country specific because I am using unblock-us and Netflix only appeared in the menu after the update.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    I bought one the other day to watch Netflix and am using it with its built in wireless and it works fine. In fact I was very impressed that I could watch something in HD on Netflix without using the ethernet port.

First thing I did was update the firmware, not sure if it is country specific because I am using unblock-us and Netflix only appeared in the menu after the update.
    Yep, I updated the firmware too but no joy for me...maybe it hates my router LOL. If you attach any USB3 drives to play HiDef files, just use the front port.
    For me it was no good as both my attached 1TB HDD's are USB3 and both have hi def files on them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I only bought it for Netflix so probably not an issue for me. I have a Vu Duo with a 2 TB HD and a 1 TB HD plugged in to that and usually just use its built in media player.