Hi all, Ive been helping a member via PM's & decided to post this in the public forum to help others with similar problems & also to here from those that might have experienced this with a GPS 62 or similar device.

Also please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong.

Question: My friend just got a Garmin GPSmap 62 it has only got an internal memory of 1.7GB not much room at all and no SD card section. I was trying to install shonky maps which is a copy of the cheaper garmin maps so he had contours for him. I was trying with mapsource to load right to the memory but it just wouldn't do it. it would pick up the unit (GPSmap 62) but the maps wouldn't come up. I just tried to load by cutting and pasting in the memory but still wouldn't pick them up. any Idea what I was doing wrong ??

My Answer: You should be able to put multiple maps named anything.img in the Garmin folder on the GPS 62 by copy paste.
As long as they aren't bigger than the available internal memory.
The Garmin folder should already exist on the device so you need to find it.
If using MapSource, the map will be named gmapsupp.img & every time you load from MapSource it will overwrite that file. Remember that mapsource compiles the map img from the tiles you select & can take a long time to compile before it transfers to the GPS or SD Card.

You will probably have to enable the new map or disable the basemap (do not delete it) depending on the draw priority of Shonky to see it.
Don't forget to make a backup of the GPS, & don't delete anything unless you put it there.
Actually with 1.7 GB of internal mem you could fit OzTopo3 roads & contours (all up 1.3 GB) on the 62, much better map than Shonky.
So if your doing that & it doesn't work, I'm not sure what your doing wrong.
Hope that helps.
Cheers Tiny.