Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alarm Recommendation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Often the little guy will change provider or sell their monitored lines, and you could go from an A1 graded station to an ungraded 'back to bodgey' room and quality could suffer without you even knowing about it. This is often enabled by monitoring centres who answer the telephone "security" or "control room" rather than their actual trading name.
    The A1 graded (certified) monitoring centre I use answers the phone with "security" and their number comes up as "private" when they call. Why do you think they do that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vijvis View Post
    I did get a quote from NRMA for the Bosch 880 Ultima system.
    NRMA use the Ultima 880 because of its wireless capabilities. I think you will find they have quoted for wireless PIRs. Why run a wire (even on the simplest of installs, say a small single-storey home) when you can do it wirelessly (Clue: because it costs less in labour).

Thanks

The A1 graded (certified) monitoring centre I use answers the phone with "security" and their number comes up as "private" when they call. Why do you think they do that?

So when you ring them back you ring there 1300 number so they make more money

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alarmman View Post
    NRMA use the Ultima 880 because of its wireless capabilities. I think you will find they have quoted for wireless PIRs. Why run a wire (even on the simplest of installs, say a small single-storey home) when you can do it wirelessly (Clue: because it costs less in labour).
    Yes they were for the wireless PIR's. I am looking at getting wireless only. However I am in two minds with the NRMA quote as I have been told the Ultima 880 panels are older technology and that the 16 Plus panels are better?

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

If you don't need anything fancy then the Ultima will do the job. It is rock solid & at the end of the day the 16+ just has a lot of features that you will apparently not use.

• The Following User Says Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

vijvis (30-05-12)

Thanks

Here are the quotes I have been given so far:

All quotes include the external siren, strobe light plus internal screamer.

My property needs 4 -5 sensors as a minimum.

These three quotes are from the same company for 3 wireless sensors, ADSL central filter, 2 remotes.

Bosch 880 Ultima - $1169 installed - additional sensor $125
    Bosch 16i - $1319 installed - - additional sensor $125
    Bosch 16plus - $1394 - - additional sensor $125

The below is for 4 Quad Element (Pet Immune) detectors plus 2 remotes plus 6 window stickers

Avolution S Series - $1199 installed. ADSL Central filter add $65

-------------------------------

I am getting two more quotes tomorrow. Have to see what product they recommend. Hopefully I can get a quote for a Paradox system.

-------------------------------

Please help me in making a choice. I will be signing up to back to base monitoring. Local monitoring availability will be a bonus if I cancel the back to base stuff.
    Last edited by vijvis; 30-05-12 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    If you don't need anything fancy then the Ultima will do the job. It is rock solid & at the end of the day the 16+ just has a lot of features that you will apparently not use.
    Thanks very much. Every NRMA told me 95% of their installs are either 880 Ultima or 16i.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdRock View Post
    Which ever way you go make sure you get an LCD keypad. LED keypads have gone the way of the dodo.
    Amen Brother!

I *loved* the Bosch Ultima panels (formerly EDM) around the same time as I loved my Sony Sports Walkman with auto-reversing cassette. But it's now 2012...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

AdRock (30-05-12),ds2020 (31-05-12)

Thanks

6 window stickers included !!! deal of the century ... lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdRock View Post
    6 window stickers included !!! deal of the century ... lol
    Yep it's a huge deal not to be missed :-)

Thanks

Can I get the alarm installed by one company and sign up to monitoring from another? What if the company that installs the alarm does not have a monitoring centre?

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vijvis View Post
    Thanks very much. Every NRMA told me 95% of their installs are either 880 Ultima or 16i.
    The 16i is a piece of shit. I think that is what they turned all those unsellable Solution 40 s into

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    The 16i is a piece of shit. I think that is what they turned all those unsellable Solution 40 s into
    Good to know. thanks. It's ruled out then.

Thanks

I got another quote today from one of the well known firms - DSC Alexor system kit with 3 wireless sensors plus ADSL filter plus 2 remotes - installed for $1157. Back to base monitoring at $30 per month.

The concern I have about this system is that it is fully wireless. The only cabling is power to the panel plus cable to external strobe light. Even connectivity between the panel and the keypad is wireless.

----------------------

Quote 2 - Honeywell wireless panel, 4 wireless sensors, 2 remotes, ADSL filter - installed $1308 with monitoring @36 per month for 3 years (contract).

-----------------------

Quote 3 - Paradox MG5050 panel, K32 LCD keypad, 2 paradox DG55 wired detector, 2 megellan wireless detector - installed $1750 (Un-Monitored) / $495 with a 5 year monitoring agreement @35 per month.
    Last edited by vijvis; 31-05-12 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks

The company that gave me a quote for the Avolution S series uses Macquarie Monitored Security which in turn is a division of Paul-Tec Australia (A1 grade certified by ASIL) for monitoring. They are charging $22 per month.

So I might go with them or get NRMA to install the Bosch 16 Plus with monitoring @ $17 for the first year and then $34 from year 2 onwards. The NRMA centre is only certified to C1 grade by ASIL.

If anyone here can tell me the differences between these ASIL grades, my decision will be easier between the two.

I looked at the ASIL website but found no info.

I am not comfortable singing up to a 3 year or 5 year monitoring agreement upfront nor leaving the alarm unmonitored (local monitoring by self).
    Last edited by vijvis; 31-05-12 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks

Seriously, you've got more than enough quotes with reasonable product to make an informed decission and you're placing far too much importance on ASIAL membership. It's an alarm system mate. It's not something to completely obsess over and get 8 to 10 quotes. You're only going to confuse yourself even more and loose sleep unecessarily.

This is what you should do:

1) Buy a either a Hills Reliance, BOSCH or ADI (Honeywell) system.
    2) Have your system monitored by a Grade A1 monitoring centre
    3) Rest happy in the knowledge you've done the right thing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

TheAlarmGuy (20-06-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Seriously, you've got more than enough quotes with reasonable product to make an informed decission and you're placing far too much importance on ASIAL membership. It's an alarm system mate. It's not something to completely obsess over and get 8 to 10 quotes. You're only going to confuse yourself even more and loose sleep unecessarily.

This is what you should do:

1) Buy a either a Hills Reliance, BOSCH or ADI (Honeywell) system.
    2) Have your system monitored by a Grade A1 monitoring centre
    3) Rest happy in the knowledge you've done the right thing.
    Thanks very much. I am not placing too much weight on ASIAL membership but on the fact that I need an A1 grade monitoring centre.

Unfortunately only NRMA has given me a quote for the Bosch. But they are a C1 grade monitoring centre.

I did get a quote for a Honeywell system but the company needs me to sign up to a 5 year monitoring contract. However their centre is A1 grade.

I have no quotes for Hills systems.

If I can easily change monitoring companies, I will sign up with NRMA, get the BOSCH system installed, stay with them for a year and then move to an A1 grade firm.

If not, I will get the Avolution system installed since it is monitored by an A1 centre. I did ask this firm about Bosch but they were not too forthcoming.

Thanks

There is no such thing as the company 'needing' to sign you on any length of contract. That's nothing more than a sales person doing a number on you. In reality though under the new ACL rules for consumer contracts, they're not worth the paper they're written on. You could in effect sign up for 5 years, decide after 2 you no longer want it and cancel without having to pay out the contract except for costs reasonably associated with providing you the service to date.

Thanks

ASIAL membership is NOT the same as an ASIAL graded monitoring centre.

In NSW for example it is a requirement of the Security Industry Act that Master Licencee companies must be a member of an 'approved security association' and electronic companies by and large are members of ASIAL.

Boasts about "ASIAL membership" or "Licenced under the Security Industry Act" are not that impressive in isolation.

I am surprised by your intention to sign up to one firm and then change monitoring. Why not go with, and stay with a good product from day one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    There is no such thing as the company 'needing' to sign you on any length of contract. That's nothing more than a sales person doing a number on you. In reality though under the new ACL rules for consumer contracts, they're not worth the paper they're written on. You could in effect sign up for 5 years, decide after 2 you no longer want it and cancel without having to pay out the contract except for costs reasonably associated with providing you the service to date.
    Thanks again. I will look into the ACL rules for consumer contracts. I did get a copy of the contract and there is an exit fee on all of them with a formula on how the amount is calculated.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast