Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noobish Q: Getting Foxtel IQHD content to PC HD transferred

Thanks

Default Noobish Q: Getting Foxtel IQHD content to PC HD transferred

Hi guys,

A very noob question - apologies for those who have read this or seen it several times before. I Googled this and only found answers from 3-4 year ago which is no help.

Basically, I have a black Foxtel IQHD box with plenty of great HD content shows that I really wanted copied to blank BR discs, but as my Panasonic DVD BL Recorder/HDD cannto receive a HDMI signal, that option is not possible without losing quality.

As a last resort, i want to transfer the content to my PC but want to (as much as humanly possible) which to RETAIN full 1080p/i quality audio and video and save these to my PC as video files and, from there, i can arrange to back data onto BR discs. What is the best way of going about it?

I don't have a TV capture card, i go have a half-decent AUSUS 512MB onboard NVIDIA graphics caard (2-3 years old now)...can someone perhaps point me in the right direct as to where I can start, or what else I might need to begin capturing? My HDD space is running out and I'll be needing to record my shows...More set top boxes is out of the question and attempting the impossible, which is decrypting, or attempting to, to rip the data from HDD within foxtel unit also will not be attempted. Any help is appreciated!

Note mod/s: if wrong forum, please pop there.

RoOSTA

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The iQ is copy protected from HDMI.. not sure about component.

Those are the only two video formats that will provide 1080i and unless there's a method of transferring and converting the files directly from the hard drive in the iQ to your computer, you'll need some form of capture device which accepts component.

The same with your BD recorder... the HDCP prevents recording from HDMI, but if the recorder accepts component video, then you'll still get 1080i.

Naturally, you'll only get 1080i if the original recording on the iQ was 1080i (eg: HD channels) otherwise, the recordings will be SD anyway.

Thanks

HDCP strippers are available online

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nbound View Post
    HDCP strippers are available online
    Thank you guys...but please elaborate in great detail and speak to me as if i was a spaz; i'm unedcuated in this area.

RoOSTA

Administrator
    Thanks

HDCP = High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.

Eg: Prevents HDMI signals being recorded.

HDCP 'strippers', as the same suggests, can remove the 'protective encryption' so HDMI signals can be recorded.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (01-06-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    HDCP = High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.

Eg: Prevents HDMI signals being recorded.

HDCP 'strippers', as the same suggests, can remove the 'protective encryption' so HDMI signals can be recorded.
    Where to buy, how muich the cheapest type og HDCP stripper is out there. I;ve found HD FURY; which one do i want for my needs?

Thanks

Have a look at this or they will record via component with 5.1 audio and m2ts files.

I prefer the hdpvr for it's software which i have connected to a mystar hd box. A 1h45m movie is about 8.58gb and 1h30m movie is 6.92gb at 11mb constant recording rate @1080i.

You can perchase them here I also do have the hdfury 2 and 3 but don't use them because the hdpvr is a simpler way through component with unnoticable difference than hdmi.

The hdfury will only convert hdmi to component and the picture quality i got was poor off colour.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nacriuos View Post
    Have a look at this or they will record via component with 5.1 audio and m2ts files.

I prefer the hdpvr for it's software which i have connected to a mystar hd box. A 1h45m movie is about 8.58gb and 1h30m movie is 6.92gb at 11mb constant recording rate @1080i.

You can perchase them here I also do have the hdfury 2 and 3 but don't use them because the hdpvr is a simpler way through component with unnoticable difference than hdmi.

The hdfury will only convert hdmi to component and the picture quality i got was poor off colour.
    Which HD PVR box do you have? Whihc brand? what did you pay.
    EDIT: Sorry I didn't see links before this post - but you have provided an option which is not going to help me (in reference to Hauggauge internal PC card, quoting:

With the Colossus HDMI input port, you can record HD video at up to 1080i from any un-encrypted HDMI source!
    Note: Unencrypted HDMI comes from the Xbox 360 plus most video cameras. Most cable and satellite TV set top boxes encrypt HDMI output, so you cannot record from these sources.

I think its pretty clear i dont want to record TV in 1080;p, i want to record a Foxtel HD playback file onto another source without quality loss; and the above products will not do that.

Looking at something like the HDfury, it looks way too expensive for something that performs a sole function, but with the colour loss, as you say - should be the only way to decrypt and convert?!

Will any HD PVR on the market allow me to connect to IQHD via HD cable, then the PVR to me TV and output and record at 1080 without any quality loss? That is the burning queston...

Thanks
    Last edited by roosta; 01-06-12 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks

Looks like the question hs been asked and address over at DTV, i'll give them a go...

Thanks

• The Following User Says Thank You to Lomax For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (05-06-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    Thanks Lomax, I'll check it out and see it it is compatable with this my IQHD box/HDD.

Thanks

+Copy is useless to me, as if it did work - the best i could do is stare at my PC screen at a LIST of files i cannot playback or convert into such a format that could record onto a blur-ray disc, or watch as a full HD file on my PC.

Tried playing around with Java and ProjectX as well on converting form STR files, looks like i cant get that working (can find the files but no video or preview loads up), and the only thing i can convert to is 920 high def, nothing better.So there's auto loss...or is this the max resolution foxtel records in?? Am not familiar with JRE or ProjectX, gviven i followed a link to Doom9's site to find a guide on how to use it and its useless and outdated...

I have dopwnloaded and tried +Extract, which does not liek the IQHD hdd at all (when connected via USB) - despite having a "green tick" where the HDD is recognised by the PC (I just cant click any option "Analyze" as per these instructions:

So essentially no LIST of recorded progras shows up....and if i browse on the HDD myself, i can see a tonne of folders and files. Surely someone in Australia has put a program together to read files from an IQHD box?!
    Last edited by roosta; 05-06-12 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks

Those file copy utilities are useless for your purposes. In the UK BSB includes freesat programming. Freesat goes to air unencrypted, is recorded to the PVR hard disk as such and can be transferred off using those 3rd party tools. Almost everything you see on Foxtel is encrypted and is recorded to the hard disk encrypted. If you copy it off all you'll end up with is an unusable 2+ gigabyte file of seemingly random bytes.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

mtv (08-06-12),roosta (10-06-12)

Thanks

I'm going for the HDFury 3 setup with an Internal PCI-E Avermedia 1080p Full HD capture card, will report the results within the week.

Thanks

roosta for the money your spending i would have wanted 5.1 audio instead of 2ch and a timer to change channels.
    also do a test with the component vs hdmi and let use which is better.

Thanks

Hey guys. I bought a PCI-E Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD card which supports capturing video up to 1080p. It has both VGA and HDMI outputs. I am using this in conjunction with the HDFury 3 device and connecting via VGA component (RBG) to my PC.

I have been told from an American i should only buy Hauppauge brand PVR, but didn't see any extra benefit given the huge costs ($250+) for the standalone boxes, but then again they are an American brand...and speaking with an American it seemed bias as he obviously had not experimented. He boasted the fact that Hauppauge boxes captures video uncompressed...but with the card i bought, you can record in mpeg2, mp4 (H.264), avi, wmv
    and a couple of other file types for portable video players such as Iphone/pads.

Anyone have suggestions on which container is best to capture the streamed foxtel content to my PC? I am thinking H.264 mp4 video with these customisable settings (as i know very little about advanced settings), but here's what i can edit before capture:

PROFILE: Baseline or Main (I have Main)
    LEVEL: 1 all the way through to 5.1 (I have 5.1)
    VIDEO SIZE: 1920x1080 is obviously selected
    ENTROPHY MODE: CAVLC vs CABAC (I have CAVLC)
    VIDEO BIT RATE: 18,000 kbps is max, which i have
    AUDIO SAMPLE RATE: 48,000 kbps is max, which i have
    AUDIO BITRATE (EA CHANNEL): 160 kbps

NOTE: I can modify these TYPE of settings, or similar settings for eacj container file type.

To me/my eyes, the colour is fantasic, there is absolutely NO lag in audio, the only problem I seem to be having the FPS; the frame rate when streamed live is exactly the same when its recorded - lacking from what Foxtel recordings playback - does anyone know what the frame rate is for IQHD full HD video playback? Possibily a limitation on the HDF3 device, which I am still reading the user manual for, located on their website.

I'll upload a 20sec video of an AFL game to show you the result

Any comments/help would be appreciated.

RoOSTA

Thanks

Roosta, this is very interesting to me, interested to see your results with the HDfury 3.

You should use YPrBr (component) rather than RGB though. And the 1080i frame rate for Foxtel is 50Hz.

Please post a sample and try the component rather than RGB.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bpchia View Post
    ... And the 1080i frame rate for Foxtel is 50Hz.
    50Hz is the frequency.... not the frame rate, which is in frames per second. Eg: 25fps, 26fps, 30fps.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (17-06-12)

Thanks

You're right re the frequency vs frame rate. Fox Footy HD is in 1080i/50Hz, but some HD channels are in 720p/25. Both are 25fps I believe, unless some films or TV shows use 24fps.

Roosta, I'm not sure how you want to use the information re the frame rate, I think the capture card will auto detect the frequency/frame rate. You can set the Foxtel IQHD to "passthrough" rather than convert all content to 1080i which I think is default.

Thanks

You'll need one heck of a beast of a PC to software encode 1080i50/p25 real time MPEG-4 AVC without frame drops and maintain good picture quality.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast