Thread: Off Peak Electricity Meter

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Off Peak Electricity Meter

My place here used to have an old electric hot water system that had an off peak electricity cycle connected to it - This has not been used for years as I have moved to gas hot water a while back

I got a letter in the mail today from the electricity distribution company advising that they plan to remove the meter in a few months unless I believe I still need this of which I need to call them.

Is there any good reason that I should keep the meter connected - e.g. other than hotwater off peak usage?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by checkitout View Post
    My place here used to have an old electric hot water system that had an off peak electricity cycle connected to it - This has not been used for years as I have moved to gas hot water a while back

I got a letter in the mail today from the electricity distribution company advising that they plan to remove the meter in a few months unless I believe I still need this of which I need to call them.

Is there any good reason that I should keep the meter connected - e.g. other than hotwater off peak usage?

YES, you would have paid for the meter at installation. It's Yours!

My experience on a rural property
    was that service had been disconnected for some years and the transformer removed.
    When reconnection required, they wanted $4500 for a new one.
    They readily caved in.
    I had to pay $50 for a new meter as I could not prove who stole it?

Don't wear that shit.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

keep the meter . you never know when suddenly the cost of gas will rise through the roof and it may be cheaper to go back to Off Peak.

tell them that intend to return to off peak as soon as the gas system carks it.

we were quoted $3000 to convert to a new heat pump system and the noise they make is unbearable so we'll just put up with off peak hot water for the next 20 years. works fine anyway.

Thanks

Check your bill and see if you are being charged a Tariff service fee before you decide to keep it. I got rid of mine at the last house when I changed the hws over and realised I was still paying a total of $100 per yr in tariff fees for the unused meter.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I would check carefully as I doubt you or anyone owns the meter other than the supplier irrespective of who paid for the installation.
    This may vary State to State but I doubt the consumer/householder ever 'owns' it.
    I would be very surprised if your not being charged a fee for the OFF Peak meter, in use or not.
    My company tried to tell me they dont charge me to read the meter but they soon shut up when I asked what the 50 cent a Day fee was for.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

anyone (06-06-12)