Thread: IPad V Galaxy

Thanks

Default IPad V Galaxy

Thinking about buying a tablet and am leaning to the galaxy 10.2 with android 4 anyone had problems with these and or recommend where to get a good deal

thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

i love the new asus pad with the keyboard dock. works like a laptop, then detach and use like a tablet.

JB Hi Fi Have them $742
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (21-01-13),RedXT (11-06-12),Tiny (19-06-12)

Thanks

I have the same one as the porkop, the asus trasformer prime. I have used both galaxy and ipads and the asus is superior is all aspects over both. Even the missus who uses the latest ipad in education qld much prefers the asus and wonders why the hell they have a deal with apple.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozchips For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (21-01-13),RedXT (21-06-12)

Thanks

Depends what you're going to use it for and what you expect out of a tablet. I've been an iPad user since they were first released, and while it took a little while to find any practical use outside of media consumption, web browsing and email, as more and more productivity apps we're released, it became quite a handy work tool.

I use it for taking notes during site meetings via Bamboo notes with a Wacom Bamboo stylus. Quite handy for scribbling notes on the fly. I also use a Zaggmate BT keyboard case, which is handy in board meetings or training sessions to use with OneNote which can then be synced straight to my laptop via Windows Live account. Powerpoint presentations work well via either Keynote, or Slideshark (cloud or local). Access to Citrix based services is great via 'Remote'. TeamViewer or a plethora of other RDP clients are well supported and functional. iMessage and Facetime are great if your co-workers, family and friends have iOS devices although Skype works just as well. Dropbox for manauls, sales materials etc. The email client, althought basic, is very functional and attachment viewing is well supported and last but not least, in my line of work it enables me to show live demonstrations of remote access to demonstration sites.

I could go on about the other things I use it for at home like media streaming control between various devices on the network, complete home theatre control including config of the amp, soon to come home automation, gaming, music production, blah blah blah but I'd be here all day.

Far from a fanboy and I'm actually tablet/phone agnostic. I like the ever increasing number of apps available and the fact that it 'just works'. Cliched yeah, but although I'm a die hard tinkerer (give me an uncompromised linux tablet), I dont have the time to faff about with things that are anywhere near unreliable at work. I think where most people go wrong iOS or Android is they expect it to behave just like a computer. Neither are, or ever will be replacements for fully fledged PC/Mac's (ok, maybe one day), but were it not for a requirement at work, I'd hardly use a PC at all because these devices come so close.

If you're in two minds, it's really a decision about what OS you feel more comfortable using. Have a play with both and get to know them a little better. See what feels more natural and intuative. Make a decision from there.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (22-08-12),OldGoat (23-06-12),porkop (22-01-13),RedXT (21-06-12),RGS (22-08-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Depends what you're going to use it for and what you expect out of a tablet. I've been an iPad user since they were first released, and while it took a little while to find any practical use outside of media consumption, web browsing and email, as more and more productivity apps we're released, it became quite a handy work tool.

iMessage and Facetime are great if your co-workers, family and friends have iOS devices although Skype works just as well.

I could go on about the other things I use it for at home like media streaming control between various devices on the network, complete home theatre control including config of the amp, soon to come home automation, gaming, music production, blah blah blah but I'd be here all day.

If you're in two minds, it's really a decision about what OS you feel more comfortable using. Have a play with both and get to know them a little better. See what feels more natural and intuative. Make a decision from there.

+1 for this post by Drift. I'm a Apple fan, mainly because of the wide range of support, and if someone has had a problem, then it is easier for you to find out how to fix it.

People go on about Android devices being able to do heaps and heaps of things over an iPad, but most things can be done on both, it depends on what it is. Plus it is so easy to Jailbreak a device these days if you want extra functionality.
    North Melbourne Football Club Membership 2012 - http://membership.kangaroos.com.au/
    IGNITE!! 2012!! GO NORTH!
    Support Hey Hey it's Saturday for 2011/2012! http://www.facebook.com/heyheyitssaturday
    Don't forget to say Thanks for useful posts!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    i love the new asus pad with the keyboard dock. works like a laptop, then detach and use like a tablet.

JB Hi Fi Have them $742
    I haven't actually bought asus as my bro has it. I used it once and was really happy with its cool features. I'm saving now from my salary and hopefully I could buy at the end of next month.

Thanks

I will suggest you to buy the ipad 3, its really awesome in every sector, its fastest, user friendly, long time battery and etc so ipad 3 will be better I guess.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have a Samsung Galaxy tab (10.1)

Very happy with it and I am glad I didnt buy anything else. The battery life is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Satguru
    People go on about Android devices being able to do heaps and heaps of things over an iPad, but most things can be done on both, it depends on what it is. Plus it is so easy to Jailbreak a device these days if you want extra functionality.
    I wouldnt buy an apple product because of all the hoops you have to jump through to get basic functionality, plus literally everything costs money when you press a button on it.

Maybe Apple might start being a bit more generous now that Android is outselling them 3 to 1 and take it as a hint that people want basic usablility by default.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Mgoldbe1 (23-07-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post

I use it for taking notes during site meetings via Bamboo notes with a Wacom Bamboo stylus. Quite handy for scribbling notes on the fly. I also use a Zaggmate BT keyboard case, which is handy in board meetings or training sessions to use with OneNote which can then be synced straight to my laptop via Windows Live account. Powerpoint presentations work well via either Keynote, or Slideshark (cloud or local). Access to Citrix based services is great via 'Remote'. TeamViewer or a plethora of other RDP clients are well supported and functional. iMessage and Facetime are great if your co-workers, family and friends have iOS devices although Skype works just as well. Dropbox for manauls, sales materials etc. The email client, althought basic, is very functional and attachment viewing is well supported and last but not least, in my line of work it enables me to show live demonstrations of remote access to demonstration sites.

I could go on about the other things I use it for at home like media streaming control between various devices on the network, complete home theatre control including config of the amp, soon to come home automation,, gaming, music production, blah blah blah but I'd be here all day.

Far from a fanboy and I'm actually tablet/phone agnostic. I like the ever increasing number of apps available and the fact that it 'just works'. Cliched yeah, but although I'm a die hard tinkerer (give me an uncompromised linux tablet), I dont have the time to faff about with things that are anywhere near unreliable at work. I think where most people go wrong iOS or Android is they expect it to behave just like a computer. Neither are, or ever will be replacements for fully fledged PC/Mac's (ok, maybe one day), but were it not for a requirement at work, I'd hardly use a PC at all because these devices come so close.

Thanks for this great information

Thanks

I think it's really all about what kind of OS you're more comfortable with. For me, I'm an iOS person. I just don't see much of a modification needed on devices like phones and tablets. All that stuff is really only necessary in desktops. That's just me tho. If you're into modifying your gadgets to the fullest, (which is still possible in iPad btw, just slows down the device in my personal experience) you should go with the Galaxy.

Thanks

I have have just purchase the galaxy 10.2, great work tool

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h8fg4 View Post
    Thinking about buying a tablet and am leaning to the galaxy 10.2 with android 4 anyone had problems with these and or recommend where to get a good deal

thanks
    They are both good in there own ways but if you are thinking of getting the GALAXY NOTE 10.1 ?? Get that over the iPad 2 any day as the iPad 2 isn't all that compared to the 10.1 note

Thanks

I ended up buying the Galaxy 2 and am very happy with it, I also brought the Ipad 3 for the missus which suits her better and after using both I like the ability to "play" with the Galaxy but have found most GOOD Apps are available for both platforms

Thanks

I bought an iPad mainly for compatibility and the graphics. The graphics on the iPad 3 are amazing. It's also more widely supported, and has a more cohesive library of apps.

And for the record, the batter life is crazy. If I didn't dock it every night, I am sure at this rate the battery could last more than a week.

Thanks

i suggest android 4 because i am using it myself and i think that it is great.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I've just spent the day researching the Tablet market for my partner.... and man, is my head spinning, i think i started at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1... then went right away from it... through a Asus Transformer TF700T with keyboard, Ipad4 and back to a contest between the Galaxing Note 10.1 and Ipad4.... and buy no means there are a bunch on the fringe that all just as good.

Then there is 3G/4G or WiFi only
    Expandability via USB or SD Slots

Ease of getting data on and off the Tablets.... ease of general use....
    There really is no clear answer or winner.....

I end up back at the Ipad4 for it general clean, fast, neat handling of photos and everyday media tasks.... (browsing, movies, emailing, Music and Airplay)
    Then i get annoyed with it short comings with loading data, sharing data etc....

Then there are all the Apps and support for the Ipad... the ease of watching your E2 machine on the Ipad with a competent App

Its a shocker....

Really appreciate your post drift, extremely informative.

I do have to laugh at the whole Laptop, Netbook, Tablet, Hybrid thing..... and now a new generation of Tablet with connectable keyboards... whats this saying, we are going back to laptops again...

I've always found that everytime a company introduced a dock or station, it just ended up failing.

You either want a Tablet or a Netbook/Laptop.... or a Phone, not a Padfone....
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-01-13 at 08:56 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I did some research late last year to replace my iPhone3. I would have looked at the iPad except that it had no telephony function, so it was down to an iPhone5 or a Samsung Galaxy S3. The S3 was most impressive but I did not end up purchasing that, or the iPhone. The major items against the iPhone were iTunes, screen size and lack of upgrade-ability. If you run out of memory, it's a new phone and even the battery isn't that easy to replace. The items against the S3 were screen size. I ended up with a Galaxy Note (larger screen) and have been extremely happy with it. Samsung Kies seems to be less intrusive than iTunes and I can synch my phone with all of my PC's without any issues. 99% of the apps that I was happy with using Apple are as good on my 'Roid, the other 1% are better! As for upgradeability, I have already installed extra memory and a larger battery. My only complaint with the Galaxy Note is the location of the volume control and the power button. They are opposite one another and, when talking, you run the risk of either turning the machine off or turning the volume down during your conversation. A good case minimizes this risk.

FWIW, although I have uninstalled iTunes, it still pops up asking to "upgrade". When I find the time I shall fix this issue.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

The Google Nexus 10 is sure an impressive tablet, especially for the price. So now you seem to have Ipad4 vs Galaxy 10.1 vs Nexus 10 at the pointy end of the Tablet market.

It will be a pity for some the Google Nexus 10 doesn't come in a 3G/4G option yet, but is rumoured to be coming soon.

I know there is big gap in the users of Android to iOS... but for mind, Google scares me even more with its "Big Brother" type data collection, having a Google Branded mobile device is just one step closer to total privacy loss.

It nice bit of hardware all the same.... Sold Out at Google Playstore, but can still be purchased it other outlets.
    Nice to be able to just Drag and Drop your files with out converting or using Apps or itunes.

Review:

Update:
    Last edited by ol' boy; 22-01-13 at 10:37 AM.