Thread: Solar confusion

Thanks

Default Solar confusion

Hi

I have engaged with two providers for solar power and have received confusing answers.

One major supplier said the following

When buying a solar system with a larger inverter with the intent of adding pannels down the track it works in theory but in practice is not a good idea as your system 1 looses efficiency with a larger (2.5kw) inverter on a smaller system (1.5kw) and 2 you will not be able to get pannels down the track for it as they will be obsolete and hard to find. You also have to use matched pannels of the same make and model.

The other said

You can add to it down the track and you do not loose efficancy on a smaller system using a larger inverter. They also offer the larger inverter with the intents for customers to add to it down the track.

Both are saying the cut off for solar rebate is today and can't garentee the quote will be there advertised price.

The larger company said they can if I put a deposit.

My current situation
    If I wait for the quote to be done tommorrow I may miss the rebate with both company's.
    If I don't wait for the quote I loose 1g as the larger company is more expensive.

How should I proceed?

Regards
    Bazzy

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

No deposit unless its refundable and ask to see in writting when the rebate is due to terminate.
    If they have advertised a price, unless they clearly state how long its available for, they cant just 'end it' adhoc, but your in Qld and I dont know the laws are there relating to advertising.
    I hate to say it but years ago Queensland laws allowed the likes of Peter Foster and his Bai Lin Tea scam and another person that sold material on how to to bet on varous racing events and always win.
    Of course (not OFF Course) the only winners were the sellers of the material.

Sorry to say this is really a case of 'Caveat Emptor'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    Hi

I have engaged with two providers for solar power and have received confusing answers.

One major supplier said the following

When buying a solar system with a larger inverter with the intent of adding pannels down the track it works in theory but in practice is not a good idea as your system 1 looses efficiency with a larger (2.5kw) inverter on a smaller system (1.5kw) and 2 you will not be able to get pannels down the track for it as they will be obsolete and hard to find. You also have to use matched pannels of the same make and model.
    This is actually all true and very good advice except one thing he didn't mention is that 99.99% of people that do buy larger inverters with the intent of adding more panels later never do.
    Inverters are designed to operate as close as possible to their maximum production, many experiments have been done that clearly show running 2.4kw of panels on a 2Kw Inverter yields better results that the same 2.4Kws of panels on a 3kw or larger inverter. , It's not at all uncommon for people to run up to 3kw of panels on a 2Kw inverter keeping it running as close as possible to it's sweet spot for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post

The other said

You can add to it down the track and you do not loose efficancy on a smaller system using a larger inverter. They also offer the larger inverter with the intents for customers to add to it down the track.

Both are saying the cut off for solar rebate is today and can't garentee the quote will be there advertised price.

The larger company said they can if I put a deposit.

My current situation
    If I wait for the quote to be done tommorrow I may miss the rebate with both company's.
    If I don't wait for the quote I loose 1g as the larger company is more expensive.

How should I proceed?

Regards
    Bazzy
    This guy hasn't got a clue what he is talking about , obviously on commission only saying whatever is necessary to get you to sign.

Forgot about the rebates closing they are not! , if they can supply a system for X amount now you can bet your life with almost no sales after the rebates end they will sell for even less of DIE .
    You won't miss out by not signing NOW , Solar is reducing in price not increasing , the longer you wait the cheaper it gets.

NOW most importantly the government rebates are not ending at all , The ACCC is very interested in hearing about solar companies making false claims like this to scam more sales., a few have already been prosecuted.

The RECS Multiplier is being reduced from 3x to 2x for all systems installed after 30 June 2012. This means that the rebate on a 1.5kW system will reduce by a third , Not End.
    Stay away from both companies !! Report both of them to the ACCC .

Sounds like both of companies are making their final cash drive before the end of the financial year so they can call in the receivers July 1 .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

All good advice there from Joey.
    When I started looking I heard the same sales pitches thrown around.
    I did get told though that with the modern transformerless inverters getting a bigger inverter to add onto later wasn't such a big issue anymore. Not sure if that's bull or not.
    The most important thing about getting solar power is the buyback system.
    Where Energex actually pays you for the power you supply to the grid.
    I've heard from several sources in the solar industry that Energex has just about reached it's quota. Again, I haven't got anything to back this up with but this would be the first and most important thing to check. As without the buyback scheme solar power is not really worth getting (unless you are very remote and have no choice)

Thanks

I have arranged installation from a reputable dealer now who seem to know what they are talking about now as the two firms above seemed to being too pushy. i did find a number of solar doing it dodgy

for example, one said they could do it for 2000 installed and connected under the current govenment pricing before they cut it off.

Me: "Can i get the price you have advertised of $2000 installed for the end of June Cutoff?"

Solar: Yes

Me: "what happens if you can not install this system before the 30th of june, will i still get the rebate at current rate?"

Solar: "No"

Me: "when can you install the system"

Solar: "in three weeks"

Me: "so next month"

Solar: "Yes"

Me: "So i can't get the system for $2000 installed because that is past the cutoff date?"

Solar: "Yes"

Me: "So you put out an advert that says you can get this price if you call before the 15th of june. knowing full well that you are booked out and can not actually provide it for that price"

Solar: "well yes"

Me: "Thats just crap, i am hanging up now"

I have found a number not as bad as above but using pressure tactics to get people to buy now quick.

It frustrates me when they do this.